Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Evangelicals full of fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Wasn't it the political right accused of downplaying the situation at first? Now they're being accused of fear?

Or is he just trolling about a different subject?
    When isn't he trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      While all of Christendom is posting "Faith over Fear" all over Facebook.
      And while any of those seeing that message would only need to spend a short time on tweb to realize that some of those Christians put more faith in walls, cages and family separations to protect them from what they fear. And what they fear is the very stranger, other human beings, including children. Their faith tells them to love them and treat them like they would like to be trated themselves. But they go for walls and family separations instead. Clearly fear over faith.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        When isn't he trolling?
        When he's oh so selectively net nannying.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
          And he is more consistent with his traditional view on character than you are.

"It's outright embarrassing to see these evangelical leaders now, just because their guy is in office, dismiss these character issues."
          Nobody has dismissed Trump's character issues.

It's time to drag out the next straw man, because this one has been beaten to dust.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

While all of Christendom is posting "Faith over Fear" all over Facebook.
            ... and acting out fear over faith while simultaneously buying into nearly every lame conspiracy theory out there. My wife has a facebook feed. She keeps me updated.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              When isn't he trolling?
              the ignorance that drove (and still drives) the earlier conversations downplaying the virus among the Trump facing evangelicals is itself born of fear. Fear of knowledge coupled with rampant Paranoia in terms of governmental conspiracy theories. And it still drives a good deal of the conversation here and on various social media outlets.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It's always so gratifying to be lumped in with every other evangelical out there when so many of us are not the same.

But paint us all with the same brush, it's done all the time. We're used to it by now.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  the ignorance that drove (and still drives) the earlier conversations downplaying the virus among the Trump facing evangelicals is itself born of fear. Fear of knowledge coupled with rampant Paranoia in terms of governmental conspiracy theories. And it still drives a good deal of the conversation here and on various social media outlets.
                  When I first made the decision not to have a baby, in 2008, I did it because I couldn’t imagine bringing another human into a world already so overheated and overcrowded. I didn’t know anyone like me at the time. But in the intervening decade, the world’s climate change problem has escalated to a crisis, and people across the world are grappling with the question of whether to have children in such uncertain times. In February, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez broke Instagram when she so much as raised the question. A few weeks later, Utah Sen. Mike Lee, on the opposite end of the spectrum, argued on the Senate floor that the solution to climate change is to “fall in love, get married, and have some kids.” Meanwhile, in the UK, environmental activist Blythe Pepino launched BirthStrike, a social media–focused movement that questions having children in the face of ecological crisis.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...nge-population

Look at that, I can paint any group, I dislike as ‘living in fear.’
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    Seems you fear
                    No, Charles, no fear here whatsoever. Fail harder.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And while any of those seeing that message would only need to spend a short time on tweb to realize ....
                      ...that Charles is an anti-Christian bigot.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

... and acting out fear over faith while simultaneously buying into nearly every lame conspiracy theory out there. My wife has a facebook feed. She keeps me updated.
                        Precious.

Comment

Isn't it wonderful how Chuck drives up in a bus, and ox does everything he can to shove his fellow Christians underneath?

Such synergy between a believer and non-believer warms the heart.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Isn't it wonderful how Chuck drives up in a bus, and ox does everything he can to shove his fellow Christians underneath?

Such synergy between a believer and non-believer warms the heart.
                            By your own logic you are shoving your own fellow Christian, Ox, underneath the bus and you have done so repeatedly. But, once again, it seems you have no problem with double standards.

And, you may have noticed the part I qoted in the opening post was promoting Christian values and ways of life and only challenged whether people acted accordingly. But, it seems, family separation and hostility towards the stranger is so integral to your identity that you feel it challenges your faith if anyone says it is wrong even if it is a "fellow Christian". And where was your support for the "assumption" he was pro homosexual practice. Do you have anything to support it?
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

No, Charles, no fear here whatsoever. Fail harder.
                              Your dishonesty in cutting quotes and not answering what was actually said is duly noted.

And here is what you left out:

Seems you fear the actual message he has got since you too need to make it about homosexuals. Where did you even get that from?

"What's striking here is that evangelicals have in almost every circumstance where there's some kind of change in the culture, have not responded with hospitality to the stranger, with grace, with hope, with the idea that people who are different from them have been created in the image of God and have that dignity and worth. Instead they have built their walls and protected themselves against people they fear Fear. [It's] an inherent contradiction for anyone who takes the Bible seriously.
                              If all you can get from this is ideas about homosexuality you are really narrow minded. And really concerned to not adress what he is actually saying.

Comment

...that Charles is an anti-Christian bigot.
                                Funny how quoting an Evangelical challenging your double standards makes me and anti-Christian bigot. You must live in a very simplified world...

Comment