Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Evangelicals full of fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Only because you don't understand who I am, or who Charles is. As best I can tell, Charles is a former Christian who somewhere along the way lost his faith, but who still understands, and in many ways values, what our faith teaches. He can see the obvious conflicts between that faith and those values as he understands them. I am a man who has confronted many of the truths that often cause Christians to lose faith, but I have not lost my faith. But I am also a person that, like Charles, sees the obvious conflicts between what is posted on this site and the life and teachings of Christ and the disciples. Modern evangelicalism, as it is often expressed here, has lost its way in certain areas. Not completely, not even perhaps mostly. But as often as not, and very often on these pages, evangelicals present themselves as without compassion for a suffering world, as driven by laws of do's and don'ts, rather than the grace and mercy of God. And while in confronting those issues grace and love are often raised as rebukes of my points, it would be as if I saw a man beating his wife, and I yelled out 'don't beat your wife', and those around me rebuked me for 'judging' him.
    This is just more of same sanctimonious, self-righteous drivel you've spewed out here before. Modern evangelical Christianity as an organization has done more towards helping the poor and suffering around the world than any other organization in the world, religious or political. Just look at the stats. And how do you know what any of us do to help the suffering in the REAL world outside of this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      This is just more of same sanctimonious, self-righteous drivel you've spewed out here before. Modern evangelical Christianity as an organization has done more towards helping the poor and suffering around the world than any other organization in the world, religious or political. Just look at the stats. And how do you know what any of us do to help the suffering in the REAL world outside of this forum?
      I am only talking about how evangelicals present themselves here on this site seanD. If you are in the real world truly compassionate to those suffering and in need, then perhaps it is time to let your conversations here reflect that?

And I acknowledge that the church, including evangelicals, does in fact do a lot of real and needed work in the world and among the poor. That is why the church is in fact an essential part of our world, and why many who complain about it would also truly miss it should it suddenly disappear. Nevertheless, that does not change the fact that many of the evangelicals here on this site in their conversations here present ideas and attitudes that do not acknowledge compassion for the word or for others, but rather the opposite.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        I am only talking about how evangelicals present themselves here on this site seanD. If you are in the real world truly compassionate to those suffering and in need, then perhaps it is time to let your conversations here reflect that?

And I acknowledge that the church, including evangelicals, does in fact do a lot of real and needed work in the world and among the poor. That is why the church is in fact an essential part of our world, and why many who complain about it would also truly miss it should it suddenly disappear. Nevertheless, that does not change the fact that many of the evangelicals here on this site in their conversations here present ideas and attitudes that do not acknowledge compassion for the word or for others, but rather the opposite.
        You're comparing apples to oranges. The forum is a place to express ideas and views, nothing more, and we have a finite amount of time to do it. We don't get to do that in the REAL world as often and as extensive as we do here. Sometimes various opinions will get heated. Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          Here is what I said in one of them: "No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person." It should be quite easy to disagree without having to go for name calling or changing the subject.
          That's what you say now. But let's see what happens when people start disagreeing with you. How many will you try to toss out then?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Here is what I said in one of them: "No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person." It should be quite easy to disagree without having to go for name calling or changing the subject.
            Charles, this is a debate forum, and, to put it in plain language, it's not for sissies. Perhaps you'd be better off in the kiddie pool.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              That's what you say now. But let's see what happens when people start disagreeing with you. How many will you try to toss out then?
              Well, they already do that (Sparko) or think I left out important parts (Rogue). http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-could-be-lost

They can do all that while complying with: "No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person."
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Charles, this is a debate forum, and, to put it in plain language, it's not for sissies. Perhaps you'd be better off in the kiddie pool.
                Or...

Charles.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, they already do that (Sparko) or think I left out important parts (Rogue). http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-could-be-lost

They can do all that while complying with: "No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person."
                  Even when they are on topic you get upset because what you really want is to blog and exclude those who aren't an amen corner (in full agreement and in full support of your OP) for you.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    On the other hand, why would Christian persons find a need to express ideas in ways that are mean and cruel? And even more to the point, why would they dig in and try to justify it when called on it?

And before you go on a rampage against me personally, I'm calling out my own violations as well as others. I am NOT saying I haven't done the same thing.

So I ask the question of ALL: Why do WE who name the name of Christ find it necessary to be rude, nasty, cruel, demeaning, etc when we are expressing what we believe to be true in these conversations?
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      On the other hand, why would Christians persons find a need to express ideas in ways that are mean and cruel?
                      You tell us. Have you seen the way you talk about your President?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Even when they are on topic you get upset because what you really want is to blog and exclude those who aren't an amen corner (in full agreement and in full support of your OP) for you.
                        I don't believe that is true rogue, at least not from what I've seen. Why don't you try interacting with him without all the insults to prove the point one way or the other?

Comment

I don't believe that is true rogue, at least not from what I've seen. Why don't you try interacting with him without all the insults to prove the point one way or the other?
                          "That Jesus is always insulting us and questioning our authority. How dare he! If only he were polite to us then perhaps we'd be more willing to hear what he has to say."
                          -The Pharisees
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

On the other hand, why would Christian persons find a need to express ideas in ways that are mean and cruel? And even more to the point, why would they dig in and try to justify it when called on it?

And before you go on a rampage against me personally...
                            Have a wonderful day, Jim.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              when you take any disagreement of the premise of your op(which is on topic) as being off topic yes you are trying to ban people who disagree with you.
                              Last edited by RumTumTugger; 04-07-2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Have a wonderful day, Jim.
                                Every post you've made to me has been derogatory since you returned to civics. So don't pretend to be outraged that I might anticipate you'd do the same to that post. In fact, THIS post is just yet another derogatory response to what was said as I tried to let you know I wasn't trying to say I was immune or hadn't done the same thing.

It's pretty much the only way you know how to respond to my posts at this point. And that is ALL on you.

Now - you have a nice day

Comment