Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Evangelicals full of fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It appears that while being called an "Evangelical historian" by sites like vox and the dailykos, it might be more accurate to say that he is an historian who writes about evangelicals -- and usually in an unflattering manner.
    But with the clear intent to make the point that they are failing to show the true qualities of what Christianity is:

"They've compromised the message, the gospel message, that has always defined what an evangelical is. Evangelical means the "good news" of the gospel of Jesus Christ. By aligning yourself with a political party or a person like Trump, who is so divisive, I think the message of the gospel is then weakened because of this political affiliation. I think it's a compromise. I think they have some way sold their soul." https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/0...lains_why.html
    Clearly a criticism of evangelicals but based on the idea that they are misrepresenting the gospel. It is certainly not a criticism of the gospel itself. Quite the opposite.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      And what I was pointing to was what would be described as evangelical....
      Charles - try to stick to things you actually know something about, OK?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It appears that while being called an "Evangelical historian" by sites like vox, salon and the dailykos, it might be more accurate to say that he is an historian who writes about evangelicals -- and usually in an unflattering manner.
        EGGzackly --- I have found a few times where he identifies himself as "evangelical", but only to combat the accusation that he's 'secular' while attacking the Evangelical's demonization of "secular".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Charles - try to stick to things you actually know something about, OK?
          So, I was right when I wrote: Let me guess: You will fail to adress his points in the next post as well. You will focus on my person, his person, "E" of "e" or anything that will give you a pass to not talk about the point he made.

And you will never get to it, because you simply cannot. Feel free to prove me wrong. Or continue to prove me right that you cannot adress it.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

So, I was right when I wrote:...
            No, I rejected your premise that Fea is an "Evangelical himself". Your whole screed is based on that notion - it was the very first sentence in your psychotic attack on Christianity.

YOUR words....
            Messiah College historian John Fea, himself an Evangelical, has some rather interesting observations and thoughts about Evangelicals. A very interesting person. Here is a central quote:
            Your whole screed was based on John Fea and who he is.
            Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-07-2020, 07:29 AM.

Comment

No, I rejected your premise that Fea is an "Evangelical himself". Your whole screed is based on that notion - it was the very first premise in your psychotic attack on Christianity.
              Even if he was a Roman Catholic it would not make any difference. But you are so focus on the person because you cannot adress the point. So, clearly you once again failed to adress his points. And I predict you will never be able to do so.

Comment

Even if he was a Roman Catholic it would not make any difference.
                An Evangelical Roman Catholic?

But you are so focus on the person....
                If you were to start off an OP with "Bernie Sanders, himself a Conservative....", I'd have the same issue.

I reject your premise, and, therefore, all that follows.

Next time, you might just try to be a little more accurate in your spurious attacks on Christianity.

Comment

An Evangelical Roman Catholic?

If you were to start off an OP with "Bernie Sanders, himself a Conservative....", I'd have the same issue.

I reject your premise, and, therefore, all that follows.

Next time, you might just try to be a little more accurate in your spurious attacks on Christianity.
                  It never was a premise but since you are unable to adress the point it is convenient for you to pretend it is. And it is not an attack on Christianity - it is an attack on the idea that Christianity can be used to support political ideas that are contrary to Christianity. You would have known so if you were actually aware of what he said.

Comment

It never was a premise....
                    It's how you started out your screed, Charles. You appealed to the authority of a man under false pretenses. Own it.

Comment

EGGzackly --- I have found a few times where he identifies himself as "evangelical", but only to combat the accusation that he's 'secular' while attacking the Evangelical's demonization of "secular".
                      Which in itself odd given that typically an Evangelical doesn't have to combat accusations that they're secular since it is evident.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Which in itself odd given that typically an Evangelical doesn't have to combat accusations that they're secular since it is evident.
                        I never heard of this guy before, but his writing simply didn't sound like that of an Evangelical, so I questioned it. Charles, apparently, can't stand being questioned.

Comment

Who accused him of being secular?

Comment

Who accused him of being secular?
                            One of the articles I read in my research on him which you falsely assumed I didn't do.

Comment

It never was a premise but since you are unable to adress the point it is convenient for you to pretend it is.
                              BS flag.gif

You never would have picked him and what he said unless he was an Evangelical that you thought you could exploit to further your agenda.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44049[/ATTACH]

You never would have picked him and what he said unless he was an Evangelical that you thought you could exploit to further your agenda.
                                EGGzackly --- I think this is one of the things that Trump excels at -- NOT buying the false premise put out by his questioners. In the past, Republicans (and/or conservatives) would get a question from an alleged news reporter setting up a false premise, and instead of challenging the premise, they go all defensive and try to explain and rationalize....

When somebody starts a screed with a false premise - they need to be called on it. Charles has yet to defend his goofy claim that Fea is, himself, an Evangelical.

Comment