Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Evangelicals full of fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evangelicals full of fear

Messiah College historian John Fea, himself an Evangelical, has some rather interesting observations and thoughts about Evangelicals. A very interesting person. Here is a central quote:

"It's very strange and somewhat ironic that anyone who reads the Bible will find a lot of exhortations against fear," says Fea. "Fear represents a kind of lack of faith in God's sovereignty or God's will to work out his purposes. I love the quote from Marylinne Robinson: 'Fear is not a Christian habit of mind.' Fear is a product of the broken world that we live in, but fear is not a place where one can dwell and still claim to be an evangelical Christian. It produces negative consequences.

"What's striking here is that evangelicals have in almost every circumstance where there's some kind of change in the culture, have not responded with hospitality to the stranger, with grace, with hope, with the idea that people who are different from them have been created in the image of God and have that dignity and worth. Instead they have built their walls and protected themselves against people they fear Fear. [It's] an inherent contradiction for anyone who takes the Bible seriously. That's what I'm trying to call people to think about in this book. Why are we so afraid? We love to claim a big God who controls everything and will work out his purposes for good as it says in Romans. Their politics is driven by fear much more than any kind hope." https://www.popmatters.com/believe-m...579257864.html
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Messiah College historian John Fea, himself an Evangelical, has some rather interesting observations and thoughts about Evangelicals. A very interesting person. Here is a central quote:
    Your lack of self awareness is noted.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

While all of Christendom is posting "Faith over Fear" all over Facebook.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        While all of Christendom is posting "Faith over Fear" all over Facebook.

I said this several weeks ago.

I refuse to live my life in fear.

I will do what I can to protect my family and myself and anyone else with whom I may come into contact.

I will follow social distancing and stay home as much as possible.

But I refuse to live my life in fear. God is in control of every moment of each day of my life, and I will live as long as He has ordained, regardless of whatever is going on around me.

My life is in His hands, and I will trust Him. I refuse to live my life in fear.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I said this several weeks ago.
          Yeah, and he misinterprets caution for fear. I resist the homosexual agenda, for example, not because of fear, but simply because it's anti-biblical.

That's our Charles! Gosh, I don't miss him when I'm not here!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
            Translation: "Here's a guy I happen to agree with, so I'm going to use his opinion in my daily Christian bashing!"

I assume that when he talks about "change in culture", he's talking about things like the push to normalize homosexuality, and he is claiming that those Christians who believe the Bible when it calls it a sin are acting out of "fear" rather than righteousness.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah, and he misinterprets caution for fear. I resist the homosexual agenda, for example, not because of fear, but simply because it's anti-biblical.

I sure miss you when you're not here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Wasn't it the political right accused of downplaying the situation at first? Now they're being accused of fear?

Or is he just trolling about a different subject?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD
                  Or is he just trolling
                  Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    I sure miss you when you're not here.

Me too.

The hidden cameras that the squirrels installed just aren't the same thing

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I predict that Chuck will be threatening to toss people out of the thread for not agreeing and supporting him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Me too.

The hidden cameras that the squirrels installed just aren't the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          [...]I assume that when he talks about "change in culture", he's talking about things like the push to normalize homosexuality, and he is claiming that those Christians who believe the Bible when it calls it a sin are acting out of "fear" rather than righteousness.
                          Well, here is what he is saying about it: ""What's striking here is that evangelicals have in almost every circumstance where there's some kind of change in the culture, have not responded with hospitality to the stranger, with grace, with hope, with the idea that people who are different from them have been created in the image of God and have that dignity and worth."

If your first idea is to "assume" what he thinks about homosexuals without providing anything to support it that is a rather desperate try.

And he is more consistent with his traditional view on character than you are.

"The inconsistency – call it hypocrisy – has been striking," Fea explained. "You look at all of these leaders from the Christian Right who aligned themselves with the Republican Party in the 1980s, and look at what they said about Bill Clinton and his scandal with Monica Lewinksy. James Dobson, Gary Bauer, Franklin Graham. For someone like me who still claims the name 'evangelical', it's outright embarrassing to see these evangelical leaders now, just because their guy is in office, dismiss these character issues."
                          But then you can always "assume" he is wrong about something else or make a false statement about me. Because it would be too tricky to actually adress what he is actually saying.
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Seems you fear the actual message he has got since you too need to make it about homosexuals. Where did you even get that from?

"What's striking here is that evangelicals have in almost every circumstance where there's some kind of change in the culture, have not responded with hospitality to the stranger, with grace, with hope, with the idea that people who are different from them have been created in the image of God and have that dignity and worth. Instead they have built their walls and protected themselves against people they fear Fear. [It's] an inherent contradiction for anyone who takes the Bible seriously.
                            If all you can get from this is ideas about homosexuality you are really narrow minded. And really concerned to not adress what he is actually saying.

Comment

That's my kind of mission, my kind of calling in life, as a scholar, as an evangelical: to get the church to think about how to be better citizens and to engage in a way that's more Biblical and responsible."

Fea's work is in history, but he remains grounded in his faith and his optimism.

"Trump will pass," he says. "The Christian church needs to go on and continue to live out the gospel in everyday life." https://www.popmatters.com/believe-m...579257864.html
                              Should not be that controversial but it seems it is.

Comment