Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Evangelicals full of fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Cow Poke, you make an unsported statement about his view and even when asked to support it you cannot.
    Relax, Charles -- the OP simply did not ring true, so I spent some time looking into who John Fea is. That I have not YET provided any links does not in any way mean that I CANNOT or WILL NOT reveal my sources. I'm still looking into this, but Easter is kinda my busiest time of the year.

Patience, Charles.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Relax, Charles -- the OP simply did not ring true, so I spent some time looking into who John Fea is. That I have not YET provided any links does not in any way mean that I CANNOT or WILL NOT reveal my sources. I'm still looking into this, but Easter is kinda my busiest time of the year.

Patience, Charles.
      And I have an Emergency Management meeting all morning on Covid-19 responses, so don't expect anything til at least after lunch.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Patience, Charles.
        So, you start by simply making the claims and then after a while you will be at a point where you can provide a link or in any other way support your claim. That is such a trustworthy approach. And all the secresy only to divert from the simple points he made. But I understand that because of easter you only have time to make the irrelevant claim, not to support it.

If you are that buissy I wonder why you do not go straight to the point instead of taking focus away. It rather seems you are buissy taking focus away with whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Where were evangelicals during the civil rights years?

That was then, this is now: When asked whether MLK was a Bible Christian, few could bring themselves to say that he was. And the poster who is the expert on all things Baptist cast doubt on the authorship of Letter from a Birmingham Jail, probably one of the greatest and profound Christian writings of the 20th century.

And given what evangelicals said about black Christians, a group of Christian who accept progressive Christianity and things like CRT (which is too triggerring for evangelicals here to discuss.

I do not think that American evangelicals are necessarily racist, but that they can look at racism and be blind to it. That is what Fea was referring to, in part.
          There is a long history of Evangelicals ignoring certain kinds of moral issues. We can go back further, but keep in mind many Evangelicals hail from the Southern Baptist church, a denomination founded on being free as Christians to HOLD and MAINTAIN slaves. A denomination which as a whole was very slow to accept the equality of African Americans or to welcome them into their churches, and which has been very slow to accept the equality of women in ministry, very slow to issue statements condemning abusive statements and actions towards women by its own leaders. And I've watched how certain posters in this thread have demanded 'proof' of Fea's recognition of:

Source: Fea

"What's striking here is that evangelicals have in almost every circumstance where there's some kind of change in the culture, have not responded with hospitality to the stranger, with grace, with hope, with the idea that people who are different from them have been created in the image of God and have that dignity and worth.

© Copyright Original Source

It is as if those pretending proof is needed of Fea's observation are ignorant of their own history and positions during the Civil War, during the Suffrage movement, and during the Civil Rights movement - which - in fact -many are.
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-13-2020, 09:13 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I don't believe I've done that.

So, not "tossing out the Bible" - just ignoring it.

As an Independent, I'm beholden to neither party.

Comment

Where were evangelicals during the civil rights years?

That was then, this is now: When asked whether MLK was a Bible Christian, few could bring themselves to say that he was. And the poster who is the expert on all things Baptist cast doubt on the authorship of Letter from a Birmingham Jail, probably one of the greatest and profound Christian writings of the 20th century.

And given what evangelicals said about black Christians, a group of Christian who accept progressive Christianity and things like CRT (which is too triggerring for evangelicals here to discuss.

I do not think that American evangelicals are necessarily racist, but that they can look at racism and be blind to it. That is what Fea was referring to, in part.
              Trolling again? As far as I know, most people alive in the civil rights era are dead or very old. Many attitudes towards MLK has to do with his adultery, so go troll elsewhere.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

questions for posters: Who knew about the clear distinctions of the differences between Evangelical and evangelical?
                I personally didn't, but to those who do know, the distinction is important (words matter, you know), especially when Chuck used the designation in an attempt to puff up Fea's supposed credentials.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I personally didn't, but to those who do know, the distinction is important (words matter, you know), especially when Chuck used the designation in an attempt to puff up Fea's supposed credentials.
                  I see that you still have not understood that First Things among others use E all the time and that Cow Poke's quora definition by a random user was limited at best and in some cases wrong.

Comment

I personally didn't, [...]
                    So, you didn't know it. Which means the follow by Cow Poke would go for you too:

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    [...]You'd say the same thing about Orthodox and orthodox -- it demonstrates your profound ignorance of things religious.[...]
                    Just to add to the fun of it what Cow Poke provided about the distinction was certainly not spot on.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      It is as if those pretending proof is needed of Fea's observation are ignorant of their own history and positions during the Civil War, during the Suffrage movement, and during the Civil Rights movement - which - in fact -many are.
                      Is that what Fea is referring to? Historical evangelicals? Did you get that from the article that Chuck referenced, or is there another source of information you're using to reach this conclusion?

But I can't help but feel like this is not only a broad brush accusation (as if all evangelicals walk in lockstep), but also rather ignorant of US history. There was a time in the US not too long ago when you could throw a rock into a crowd and have an excellent chance of hitting someone who would have called himself a Christian, so to say that Christians opposed civil rights, suffrage, etc. ignores the fact that on the opposite side of the debate were just as many Christians who supported it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                        Just to add to the fun of it what Cow Poke provided about the distinction was certainly not spot on.
                        I suppose your implication here is that because I wasn't familiar with the distinction that I am therefore accused of being profoundly ignorant of things religious, but, no, that's not what Cow Poke is saying. I'll let you figure it out.

Comment

So, you start by simply making the claims and then after a while you will be at a point where you can provide a link or in any other way support your claim.
                          As I said, Charles, I'm doing some research of my own, and don't see any urgency on this matter. What's the rush?

That is such a trustworthy approach. And all the secresy only to divert from the simple points he made. But I understand that because of easter you only have time to make the irrelevant claim, not to support it.
                          Yuh, that makes a whole lot of sense.

If you are that buissy I wonder why you do not go straight to the point instead of taking focus away. It rather seems you are buissy taking focus away with whatever.
                          Ya know, Charles - I wonder if you have more than just a language barrier.

Comment

• What political view am I supporting, exactly?

Comment

That's the issue EGGzackly. Fea seems to be all about complaining about Evangelicals -- why would he want to identify as one when he's constantly finding fault with them?

Comment

I see that you still have not understood that First Things among others use E all the time and that Cow Poke's quora definition by a random user was limited at best and in some cases wrong.
                                Charles - I gave ONE EXAMPLE which you seem to think was necessarily intended to be exhaustive and complete. You jump to such illogical conclusions.

George Barna does a good job of defining Evangelical:

Comment