Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Trump aide warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,245
    Amen (Given)
    1273
    Amen (Received)
    547

    Trump aide warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost

    So, it seems the idea that no one could have predicted it should be seen in a different context:

    Trump aide Peter Navarro warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost to coronavirus: reports

    While President Donald Trump played down concerns about the coronavirus in January and February, a top White House adviser warned that a coronavirus pandemic could cost the country trillions of dollars and endanger millions of Americans, according to two new reports.
    Peter Navarro, the top trade and manufacturing aide to the president, laid out the warning in two memos - one on Jan. 29 and another on Feb. 23, according to reports from the New York Times and Axios. Trump has repeatedly said that no one could have predicted the coronavirus pandemic.
    On Feb. 24, Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA."

    Despite the warnings from Navarro, Trump in the past several weeks has claimed that "nobody" could have predicted the coronavirus pandemic.

    No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  2. #2
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoCal!!!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,725
    Amen (Given)
    381
    Amen (Received)
    954
    Wow. Does Navarro still have a job after providing such a wild number?

  3. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,245
    Amen (Given)
    1273
    Amen (Received)
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Wow. Does Navarro still have a job after providing such a wild number?
    If he is going to lose his job I suppose it will be for other reasons.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  4. #4
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59,631
    Amen (Given)
    1223
    Amen (Received)
    21700
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    So, it seems the idea that no one could have predicted it should be seen in a different context:

    Trump aide Peter Navarro warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost to coronavirus: reports




    No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person.
    You left out this part for some strange reason which would explain why what he said wasn't heeded

    At the time of Navarro's first memo, aides were skeptical of his motives, Axios reported. Navarro in the past has been hawkish on China

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  5. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,245
    Amen (Given)
    1273
    Amen (Received)
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    You left out this part for some strange reason which would explain why what he said wasn't heeded

    At the time of Navarro's first memo, aides were skeptical of his motives, Axios reported. Navarro in the past has been hawkish on China
    It would only explain why one would be extra cautious. It would not explain why Trump would pretend there hardly was a problem at all. The fact someone could have a motive to say something does not imply it is not true as the case clearly shows.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  6. #6
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,011
    Amen (Given)
    5511
    Amen (Received)
    23691
    So let's see.. From the article you linked to.

    First memo:

    “The lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine would leave Americans defenseless in the case of a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil,” Navarro said in the first memo, according to the Times. “This lack of protection elevates the risk of the coronavirus evolving into a full-blown pandemic, imperiling the lives of millions of Americans."

    Trump's response:

    The same day of Navarro's first memo on Jan. 29, the White House coronavirus task force was formed. Trump announced a day later that he was blocking travel from China.

    Second memo (not even sure it was Navarro):

    “This is NOT a time for penny-pinching or horse trading on the Hill,” Navarro wrote in the second memo sent on Feb. 23. The memo also warned that an “increasing probability of a full-blown COVID-19 pandemic that could infect as many as 100 million Americans, with a loss of life of as many as 1.2 million souls," according to the Times.
    Trump's response:
    Worked with congress to pass the Family First act.

    So exactly what are you complaining about? Trump listened and took the advice.

    Trump saying that nobody could predict this was referring to the pandemic itself. Navarro didn't predict it. It was already happening at the time of his memos. Trump responded quickly and put together a task force. He had it under control as best as anyone could.

  7. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  8. #7
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,011
    Amen (Given)
    5511
    Amen (Received)
    23691
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    It would only explain why one would be extra cautious. It would not explain why Trump would pretend there hardly was a problem at all. The fact someone could have a motive to say something does not imply it is not true as the case clearly shows.
    Like typical liberals, you concentrate on what Trump says, not what he does. He was trying to calm the public. They were doing everything they could. And at the time there wasn't a problem. Not until it started spreading in the wild. They thought they had it contained in California and Washington.

  9. Amen Mountain Man, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  10. #8
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,245
    Amen (Given)
    1273
    Amen (Received)
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Like typical liberals, you concentrate on what Trump says, not what he does. He was trying to calm the public.
    I don't think it is unfair to focus on what the most powerful man in the world says. I don't think it is unfair to hold him accountable when he says something that turns out to be completely wrong. I especially don't have a problem with that when he is unwilling to admit his error. Calming the problem is fair if the situation calls for it. If the situation calls for the public to be extra caustious, wash their hands extra carefully and the like, it is not a good idea.

    With regard to what he has done, blocking travel from China seems to be what you can point to, or am I wrong? (And yes we have heard that "liberals" foolishly thought that was racist). What else did he do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    They were doing everything they could. And at the time there wasn't a problem. Not until it started spreading in the wild. They thought they had it contained in California and Washington.
    If they thought they had it contained what would they base that idea on?
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  11. #9
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,011
    Amen (Given)
    5511
    Amen (Received)
    23691
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I don't think it is unfair to focus on what the most powerful man in the world says. I don't think it is unfair to hold him accountable when he says something that turns out to be completely wrong. I especially don't have a problem with that when he is unwilling to admit his error. Calming the problem is fair if the situation calls for it. If the situation calls for the public to be extra caustious, wash their hands extra carefully and the like, it is not a good idea.

    With regard to what he has done, blocking travel from China seems to be what you can point to, or am I wrong? (And yes we have heard that "liberals" foolishly thought that was racist). What else did he do?



    If they thought they had it contained what would they base that idea on?
    He did exactly what the memos your OP is referring to said to do. So what is the point of this thread? trolling again?


    To repeat:

    So let's see.. From the article you linked to.

    First memo:

    “The lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine would leave Americans defenseless in the case of a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil,” Navarro said in the first memo, according to the Times. “This lack of protection elevates the risk of the coronavirus evolving into a full-blown pandemic, imperiling the lives of millions of Americans."

    Trump's response:

    The same day of Navarro's first memo on Jan. 29, the White House coronavirus task force was formed. Trump announced a day later that he was blocking travel from China.

    Second memo (not even sure it was Navarro):

    “This is NOT a time for penny-pinching or horse trading on the Hill,” Navarro wrote in the second memo sent on Feb. 23. The memo also warned that an “increasing probability of a full-blown COVID-19 pandemic that could infect as many as 100 million Americans, with a loss of life of as many as 1.2 million souls," according to the Times.
    Trump's response:
    Worked with congress to pass the Family First act.

    So exactly what are you complaining about? Trump listened and took the advice.

    Trump saying that nobody could predict this was referring to the pandemic itself. Navarro didn't predict it. It was already happening at the time of his memos. Trump responded quickly and put together a task force. He had it under control as best as anyone could.

  12. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  13. #10
    tWebber demi-conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,273
    Amen (Given)
    172
    Amen (Received)
    585
    The same day of Navarro's first memo on Jan. 29, the White House coronavirus task force was formed. Trump announced a day later that he was blocking travel from China.
    Sounds like Trump was taking it seriously.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

  14. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •