Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump aide warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    He did exactly what the memos your OP is referring to said to do. So what is the point of this thread? trolling again?
    Because blocking travel from China and then state that everything was under control was it? I already adresses how his talk to calm the public was not helpful in a situation where there actually was a need to be extra careful.

To repeat:

So let's see.. From the article you linked to.

First memo:

“The lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine would leave Americans defenseless in the case of a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil,” Navarro said in the first memo, according to the Times. “This lack of protection elevates the risk of the coronavirus evolving into a full-blown pandemic, imperiling the lives of millions of Americans."

Trump's response:

The same day of Navarro's first memo on Jan. 29, the White House coronavirus task force was formed. Trump announced a day later that he was blocking travel from China.
    So, knowing the scale of it he blocked travel to and from China. And??? "On Feb. 24, Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA.""

Second memo (not even sure it was Navarro):

“This is NOT a time for penny-pinching or horse trading on the Hill,” Navarro wrote in the second memo sent on Feb. 23. The memo also warned that an “increasing probability of a full-blown COVID-19 pandemic that could infect as many as 100 million Americans, with a loss of life of as many as 1.2 million souls," according to the Times.
    Trump's response:
    Worked with congress to pass the Family First act.

So exactly what are you complaining about? Trump listened and took the advice.

Trump saying that nobody could predict this was referring to the pandemic itself. Navarro didn't predict it. It was already happening at the time of his memos. Trump responded quickly and put together a task force. He had it under control as best as anyone could.
    Navarro certianly did point to potential consequences and to the scale of this quite some time before Trump went out to "calm" the public with his false statement that it was under control. If he had listened he knew when he said all that that the situation could become really, really bad.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, talking about what Trump had very much under control (seemingly ingoring the warnings):

Fauci:

"If 'back to normal' means acting like there never was a coronavirus problem, I don't think that's going to happen until we do have a situation where you can completely protect the population," Fauci said. "But when we say getting back to normal, we mean something very different from what we're going through right now. Because right now, we're in a very intense mitigation. https://www.businessinsider.com/fauc...20-4?r=US&IR=T
    This is said by the same Fauci who mid february told us not to worry too much...
    Last edited by Charles; 04-07-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Because blocking travel from China and then state that everything was under control was it? I already adresses how his talk to calm the public was not helpful in a situation where there actually was a need to be extra careful.

So, knowing the scale of it he blocked travel to and from China. And??? "On Feb. 24, Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA.""

Navarro certianly did point to potential consequences and to the scale of this quite some time before Trump went out to "calm" the public with his false statement that it was under control. If he had listened he knew when he said all that that the situation could become really, really bad.
    Wah! It sucks when your own source destroys your case doesn't it Chuck? Now you have to try to spin it into something else.

Trump said it was under control when it was under control. Then it wasn't, when they found out it had escaped into the wild. And they still have it under control, you don't see millions dead do you? That is what would have happened if he didn't do anything. That's from Fauci's mouth, up to 2 million dead. I guess you expect that when someone says it's under control that it means it is completely stopped in it's tracks or he is a liar? You have unrealistic expectations.

But the real motive here is that you are trying to find a way to blame Trump, no matter what he does.

He didn't just block travel from China. He blocked travel from Europe, created a task force, organized a nationwide effort to produce masks and ventilators using the DPA when needed. Instituted guidelines on how to socially distance and stay at home. Spearheaded the largest relief act in history. Let the experts on his team do their jobs. Encouraged the medical industry to come up with fast testing (5 Minutes!) - in other words, he lead the country.

But nothing is good enough, is it? because you have TDS.

4. Amen Mountain Man, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, talking about what Trump had very much under control (seemingly ingoring the warnings):

Fauci:

This is said by the same Fauci who mid february told us not to worry too much...
    Us? I thought you lived in Europe? I guess that was another lie?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Trump saying that nobody could predict this was referring to the pandemic itself.
    Right. Liberals say, "People have been predicating A pandemic of some sort for decades!" And I think the US was as prepared as it could be for A pandemic, but you can't specifically prepare for a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future, which is what some people seem to be expecting from Trump. As I mentioned elsewhere, coastal states are hit by hurricanes almost every year, and they are as ready as they can be for the next one, and yet every time there are unique conditions and challenges that they simply didn't and in some cases couldn't anticipate.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

7. Amen Sparko, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wah! It sucks when your own source destroys your case doesn't it Chuck? Now you have to try to spin it into something else.

Trump said it was under control when it was under control. Then it wasn't, when they found out it had escaped into the wild. And they still have it under control, you don't see millions dead do you? That is what would have happened if he didn't do anything. That's from Fauci's mouth, up to 2 million dead. I guess you expect that when someone says it's under control that it means it is completely stopped in it's tracks or he is a liar? You have unrealistic expectations.

But the real motive here is that you are trying to find a way to blame Trump, no matter what he does.

He didn't just block travel from China. He blocked travel from Europe, created a task force, organized a nationwide effort to produce masks and ventilators using the DPA when needed. Instituted guidelines on how to socially distance and stay at home. Spearheaded the largest relief act in history. Let the experts on his team do their jobs. Encouraged the medical industry to come up with fast testing (5 Minutes!) - in other words, he lead the country.

But nothing is good enough, is it? because you have TDS.
    No name calling in this thread, please. And no focusing on my person as in statements like "you have TDS."

The central point was mentioned in the opening post: "While President Donald Trump played down concerns about the coronavirus in January and February, a top White House adviser warned that a coronavirus pandemic could cost the country trillions of dollars and endanger millions of Americans, according to two new reports." This is very central point and it shows that his statements about having it under control were not expressions of actual knowledge but wishful thinking. He knew the consequences could be severe if he had listened. He knew very many lives could be lost when he downplayed the severity of all of this. While you do have some points with regard to the angle being a bit too harsh with the statement that this proves the pandemic could be foreseen I do not see how one can avoid the point that Trump was making statements that he had very good reason to doubt when he claimed it was under control. You need to be sure when making statements like that and other statements he made to downplay all of this.

With regard to what he has done I am thankful for the information and would be interested in seeing any sources for the claims made.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Us? I thought you lived in Europe? I guess that was another lie?
    I do live in Europe but the statement was distributed worldwide. I know it was specifically for USA but I have friends and relatives living there so I relate to it in that way, that is, I worry about lives getting lost in all of this as much as I do in my own country.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It would only explain why one would be extra cautious. It would not explain why Trump would pretend there hardly was a problem at all. The fact someone could have a motive to say something does not imply it is not true as the case clearly shows.
    Considering that right after Navarro's first memo Trump banned travel from China (which the left bemoaned as xenophobic and racist) I don't think it is accurate to claim that he was pretending that "there hardly was a problem."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No name calling in this thread, please. And no focusing on my person as in statements like "you have TDS."
    yah? bite me. You can't control threads like that. And I didn't call you any names. And I can focus on your motives if I want to. They are entirely relevant to your posts.

The central point was mentioned in the opening post: "While President Donald Trump played down concerns about the coronavirus in January and February, a top White House adviser warned that a coronavirus pandemic could cost the country trillions of dollars and endanger millions of Americans, according to two new reports." This is very central point and it shows that his statements about having it under control were not expressions of actual knowledge but wishful thinking.
    and yet, when you actually READ the article even it admits that Trump acted on those concerns the very same day! and he was the one who initiated the whole relief act and fought with congress to pass it when they kept trying to stick in non-essentials and other pork. So your "central point" was defeated by the facts.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Right. Liberals say, "People have been predicating A pandemic of some sort for decades!" And I think the US was as prepared as it could be for A pandemic, but you can't specifically prepare for a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future, which is what some people seem to be expecting from Trump. As I mentioned elsewhere, coastal states are hit by hurricanes almost every year, and they are as ready as they can be for the next one, and yet every time there are unique conditions and challenges that they simply didn't and in some cases couldn't anticipate.
    But by Feb. 24, when Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA." we were not talking about a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future. When he say how things turned out he cannot have been too surprised if he had listened. And very much of the criticism of Trumps is valid because he made those statements that turned out to be false and now we know that he knew there was certianly some wishful thinking to it.