Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump aide warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I do live in Europe but the statement was distributed worldwide. I know it was specifically for USA but I have friends and relatives living there so I relate to it in that way, that is, I worry about lives getting lost in all of this as much as I do in my own country.
    so worry about your own country. Which is not doing that good itself if your IP is correct.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Right. Liberals say, "People have been predicating A pandemic of some sort for decades!" And I think the US was as prepared as it could be for A pandemic, but you can't specifically prepare for a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future, which is what some people seem to be expecting from Trump. As I mentioned elsewhere, coastal states are hit by hurricanes almost every year, and they are as ready as they can be for the next one, and yet every time there are unique conditions and challenges that they simply didn't and in some cases couldn't anticipate.
    In 2019 the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security conducted a study of 195 countries which determined that the U.S. was more prepared to deal with a pandemic than any other country.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    yah? bite me. You can't control threads like that. And I didn't call you any names. And I can focus on your motives if I want to. They are entirely relevant to your posts.
    You did call me Chuck and the TDS stuff is different from talking abot motives. You are free to adress motives. Please support your statements though.

and yet, when you actually READ the article even it admits that Trump acted on those concerns the very same day! and he was the one who initiated the whole relief act and fought with congress to pass it when they kept trying to stick in non-essentials and other pork. So your "central point" was defeated by the facts.
    Balanced journalism gives a fair description of what he did right. That does not prove that everything he did was right.

The truth is: "While President Donald Trump played down concerns about the coronavirus in January and February, a top White House adviser warned that a coronavirus pandemic could cost the country trillions of dollars and endanger millions of Americans, according to two new reports."
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    In 2019 the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security conducted a study of 195 countries which determined that the U.S. was more prepared to deal with a pandemic than any other country.
    Any source?
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Any source?
    2019 study found US best-prepared country to handle a pandemic
    Though the U.S. does sit atop the rankings, overall the report—produced by the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security at the university's Bloomberg School of Public Health, the Nuclear Threat Initiative, and The Economist Intelligence Unit—paints a discouraging picture of global readiness.

The Countries Best And Worst Prepared For An Epidemic
    The United States was named as the country with the strongest measures in place and it came first with 83.5 out of 100.

US was more prepared for pandemic than any other country, Johns Hopkins study found
    The United States was ranked the best-prepared country in the world to handle a pandemic in late 2019 by the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (JHCHS) -- an assessment seemingly at odds with claims by Democrats that the Trump administration left the country vulnerable to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

And if you get past the Washington Post's paywall, Countries' preparedness for a pandemic ranked in new report

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    But by Feb. 24, when Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA." we were not talking about a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future. When he say how things turned out he cannot have been too surprised if he had listened. And very much of the criticism of Trumps is valid because he made those statements that turned out to be false and now we know that he knew there was certianly some wishful thinking to it.
    As Sparko said, I'm less concerned about what Trump says than I am about what he does, and every indication is that he took it seriously from day one.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

7. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    2019 study found US best-prepared country to handle a pandemic
    Though the U.S. does sit atop the rankings, overall the report—produced by the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security at the university's Bloomberg School of Public Health, the Nuclear Threat Initiative, and The Economist Intelligence Unit—paints a discouraging picture of global readiness.

The Countries Best And Worst Prepared For An Epidemic
    The United States was named as the country with the strongest measures in place and it came first with 83.5 out of 100.

US was more prepared for pandemic than any other country, Johns Hopkins study found
    The United States was ranked the best-prepared country in the world to handle a pandemic in late 2019 by the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (JHCHS) -- an assessment seemingly at odds with claims by Democrats that the Trump administration left the country vulnerable to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

And if you get past the Washington Post's paywall, Countries' preparedness for a pandemic ranked in new report
    Thank you and I wish I had expressed my wish to know the source in a better way. My fault.

From the same source I would like to add:
    "National health security is fundamentally weak around the world," the 324-page report concludes. "No country is fully prepared for epidemics or pandemics, and every country has important gaps to address."

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    As Sparko said, I'm less concerned about what Trump says than I am about what he does, and every indication is that he took it seriously from day one.
    Well, that depends on your perspective. For me taking it seriously does include giving fair and balanced statements about the situation. I think he failed to do that. And when that was pointed out I think he failed to acknowledge what he actually knew when making those unbalanced statements.

And, please, no name calling in this thread.

Department Head
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So let's see.. From the article you linked to.

First memo:

“The lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine would leave Americans defenseless in the case of a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil,” Navarro said in the first memo, according to the Times. “This lack of protection elevates the risk of the coronavirus evolving into a full-blown pandemic, imperiling the lives of millions of Americans."

Trump's response:

The same day of Navarro's first memo on Jan. 29, the White House coronavirus task force was formed. Trump announced a day later that he was blocking travel from China.

Second memo (not even sure it was Navarro):

“This is NOT a time for penny-pinching or horse trading on the Hill,” Navarro wrote in the second memo sent on Feb. 23. The memo also warned that an “increasing probability of a full-blown COVID-19 pandemic that could infect as many as 100 million Americans, with a loss of life of as many as 1.2 million souls," according to the Times.
    Trump's response:
    Worked with congress to pass the Family First act.

So exactly what are you complaining about? Trump listened and took the advice.

Trump saying that nobody could predict this was referring to the pandemic itself. Navarro didn't predict it. It was already happening at the time of his memos. Trump responded quickly and put together a task force. He had it under control as best as anyone could.
    So you mean USA Today says because Trump was trying not panic anyone by giving is trying to say that Trump didn't do anything when he did just because he was trying to make sure people would not panic? Give me a break Trump did exactly what you would expect a leader of our country to do set up things so that we would be as ready as we could be given the information we had while not panicking the Citizens of America? To bad the MSM didn't follow suit and chose report things so as to panic the American citizens we would not have had that run on Toilet paper would we.
    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 04-07-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For me taking it seriously does include giving fair and balanced statements about the situation. I think he failed to do that.
    Of course, because you're fixated on what Trump says and not on what he does, you're taking him literally but not seriously.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra