Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump aide warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Wah! It sucks when your own source destroys your case doesn't it Chuck? Now you have to try to spin it into something else.

Trump said it was under control when it was under control. Then it wasn't, when they found out it had escaped into the wild. And they still have it under control, you don't see millions dead do you? That is what would have happened if he didn't do anything. That's from Fauci's mouth, up to 2 million dead. I guess you expect that when someone says it's under control that it means it is completely stopped in it's tracks or he is a liar? You have unrealistic expectations.

But the real motive here is that you are trying to find a way to blame Trump, no matter what he does.

He didn't just block travel from China. He blocked travel from Europe, created a task force, organized a nationwide effort to produce masks and ventilators using the DPA when needed. Instituted guidelines on how to socially distance and stay at home. Spearheaded the largest relief act in history. Let the experts on his team do their jobs. Encouraged the medical industry to come up with fast testing (5 Minutes!) - in other words, he lead the country.

But nothing is good enough, is it? because you have TDS.
    No name calling in this thread, please. And no focusing on my person as in statements like "you have TDS."

The central point was mentioned in the opening post: "While President Donald Trump played down concerns about the coronavirus in January and February, a top White House adviser warned that a coronavirus pandemic could cost the country trillions of dollars and endanger millions of Americans, according to two new reports." This is very central point and it shows that his statements about having it under control were not expressions of actual knowledge but wishful thinking. He knew the consequences could be severe if he had listened. He knew very many lives could be lost when he downplayed the severity of all of this. While you do have some points with regard to the angle being a bit too harsh with the statement that this proves the pandemic could be foreseen I do not see how one can avoid the point that Trump was making statements that he had very good reason to doubt when he claimed it was under control. You need to be sure when making statements like that and other statements he made to downplay all of this.

With regard to what he has done I am thankful for the information and would be interested in seeing any sources for the claims made.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Us? I thought you lived in Europe? I guess that was another lie?
      I do live in Europe but the statement was distributed worldwide. I know it was specifically for USA but I have friends and relatives living there so I relate to it in that way, that is, I worry about lives getting lost in all of this as much as I do in my own country.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        It would only explain why one would be extra cautious. It would not explain why Trump would pretend there hardly was a problem at all. The fact someone could have a motive to say something does not imply it is not true as the case clearly shows.
        Considering that right after Navarro's first memo Trump banned travel from China (which the left bemoaned as xenophobic and racist) I don't think it is accurate to claim that he was pretending that "there hardly was a problem."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No name calling in this thread, please. And no focusing on my person as in statements like "you have TDS."
          yah? bite me. You can't control threads like that. And I didn't call you any names. And I can focus on your motives if I want to. They are entirely relevant to your posts.

The central point was mentioned in the opening post: "While President Donald Trump played down concerns about the coronavirus in January and February, a top White House adviser warned that a coronavirus pandemic could cost the country trillions of dollars and endanger millions of Americans, according to two new reports." This is very central point and it shows that his statements about having it under control were not expressions of actual knowledge but wishful thinking.
          and yet, when you actually READ the article even it admits that Trump acted on those concerns the very same day! and he was the one who initiated the whole relief act and fought with congress to pass it when they kept trying to stick in non-essentials and other pork. So your "central point" was defeated by the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Right. Liberals say, "People have been predicating A pandemic of some sort for decades!" And I think the US was as prepared as it could be for A pandemic, but you can't specifically prepare for a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future, which is what some people seem to be expecting from Trump. As I mentioned elsewhere, coastal states are hit by hurricanes almost every year, and they are as ready as they can be for the next one, and yet every time there are unique conditions and challenges that they simply didn't and in some cases couldn't anticipate.
            But by Feb. 24, when Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA." we were not talking about a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future. When he say how things turned out he cannot have been too surprised if he had listened. And very much of the criticism of Trumps is valid because he made those statements that turned out to be false and now we know that he knew there was certianly some wishful thinking to it.

Comment

I do live in Europe but the statement was distributed worldwide. I know it was specifically for USA but I have friends and relatives living there so I relate to it in that way, that is, I worry about lives getting lost in all of this as much as I do in my own country.
              so worry about your own country. Which is not doing that good itself if your IP is correct.

Comment

Right. Liberals say, "People have been predicating A pandemic of some sort for decades!" And I think the US was as prepared as it could be for A pandemic, but you can't specifically prepare for a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future, which is what some people seem to be expecting from Trump. As I mentioned elsewhere, coastal states are hit by hurricanes almost every year, and they are as ready as they can be for the next one, and yet every time there are unique conditions and challenges that they simply didn't and in some cases couldn't anticipate.
                In 2019 the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security conducted a study of 195 countries which determined that the U.S. was more prepared to deal with a pandemic than any other country.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

yah? bite me. You can't control threads like that. And I didn't call you any names. And I can focus on your motives if I want to. They are entirely relevant to your posts.
                  You did call me Chuck and the TDS stuff is different from talking abot motives. You are free to adress motives. Please support your statements though.

and yet, when you actually READ the article even it admits that Trump acted on those concerns the very same day! and he was the one who initiated the whole relief act and fought with congress to pass it when they kept trying to stick in non-essentials and other pork. So your "central point" was defeated by the facts.
                  Balanced journalism gives a fair description of what he did right. That does not prove that everything he did was right.

The truth is: "While President Donald Trump played down concerns about the coronavirus in January and February, a top White House adviser warned that a coronavirus pandemic could cost the country trillions of dollars and endanger millions of Americans, according to two new reports."

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    In 2019 the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security conducted a study of 195 countries which determined that the U.S. was more prepared to deal with a pandemic than any other country.
                    Any source?

Comment

Any source?
                      2019 study found US best-prepared country to handle a pandemic
                      Though the U.S. does sit atop the rankings, overall the report—produced by the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security at the university's Bloomberg School of Public Health, the Nuclear Threat Initiative, and The Economist Intelligence Unit—paints a discouraging picture of global readiness.

The Countries Best And Worst Prepared For An Epidemic
                      The United States was named as the country with the strongest measures in place and it came first with 83.5 out of 100.

US was more prepared for pandemic than any other country, Johns Hopkins study found
                      The United States was ranked the best-prepared country in the world to handle a pandemic in late 2019 by the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (JHCHS) -- an assessment seemingly at odds with claims by Democrats that the Trump administration left the country vulnerable to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

And if you get past the Washington Post's paywall, Countries' preparedness for a pandemic ranked in new report

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                        But by Feb. 24, when Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA." we were not talking about a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future. When he say how things turned out he cannot have been too surprised if he had listened. And very much of the criticism of Trumps is valid because he made those statements that turned out to be false and now we know that he knew there was certianly some wishful thinking to it.
                        As Sparko said, I'm less concerned about what Trump says than I am about what he does, and every indication is that he took it seriously from day one.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          2019 study found US best-prepared country to handle a pandemic
                          Though the U.S. does sit atop the rankings, overall the report—produced by the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security at the university's Bloomberg School of Public Health, the Nuclear Threat Initiative, and The Economist Intelligence Unit—paints a discouraging picture of global readiness.

The Countries Best And Worst Prepared For An Epidemic
                          The United States was named as the country with the strongest measures in place and it came first with 83.5 out of 100.

US was more prepared for pandemic than any other country, Johns Hopkins study found
                          The United States was ranked the best-prepared country in the world to handle a pandemic in late 2019 by the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (JHCHS) -- an assessment seemingly at odds with claims by Democrats that the Trump administration left the country vulnerable to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

And if you get past the Washington Post's paywall, Countries' preparedness for a pandemic ranked in new report
                          Thank you and I wish I had expressed my wish to know the source in a better way. My fault.

From the same source I would like to add:
                          "National health security is fundamentally weak around the world," the 324-page report concludes. "No country is fully prepared for epidemics or pandemics, and every country has important gaps to address."

Comment

As Sparko said, I'm less concerned about what Trump says than I am about what he does, and every indication is that he took it seriously from day one.
                            Well, that depends on your perspective. For me taking it seriously does include giving fair and balanced statements about the situation. I think he failed to do that. And when that was pointed out I think he failed to acknowledge what he actually knew when making those unbalanced statements.

And, please, no name calling in this thread.

Comment

So let's see.. From the article you linked to.

First memo:

“The lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine would leave Americans defenseless in the case of a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil,” Navarro said in the first memo, according to the Times. “This lack of protection elevates the risk of the coronavirus evolving into a full-blown pandemic, imperiling the lives of millions of Americans."

Trump's response:

The same day of Navarro's first memo on Jan. 29, the White House coronavirus task force was formed. Trump announced a day later that he was blocking travel from China.

Second memo (not even sure it was Navarro):

“This is NOT a time for penny-pinching or horse trading on the Hill,” Navarro wrote in the second memo sent on Feb. 23. The memo also warned that an “increasing probability of a full-blown COVID-19 pandemic that could infect as many as 100 million Americans, with a loss of life of as many as 1.2 million souls," according to the Times.
                              Trump's response:
                              Worked with congress to pass the Family First act.

So exactly what are you complaining about? Trump listened and took the advice.

Trump saying that nobody could predict this was referring to the pandemic itself. Navarro didn't predict it. It was already happening at the time of his memos. Trump responded quickly and put together a task force. He had it under control as best as anyone could.
                              So you mean USA Today says because Trump was trying not panic anyone by giving is trying to say that Trump didn't do anything when he did just because he was trying to make sure people would not panic? Give me a break Trump did exactly what you would expect a leader of our country to do set up things so that we would be as ready as we could be given the information we had while not panicking the Citizens of America? To bad the MSM didn't follow suit and chose report things so as to panic the American citizens we would not have had that run on Toilet paper would we.
                              Last edited by RumTumTugger; 04-07-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

For me taking it seriously does include giving fair and balanced statements about the situation. I think he failed to do that.
                                Of course, because you're fixated on what Trump says and not on what he does, you're taking him literally but not seriously.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment