Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump aide warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump aide warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost

So, it seems the idea that no one could have predicted it should be seen in a different context:

Trump aide Peter Navarro warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost to coronavirus: reports

While President Donald Trump played down concerns about the coronavirus in January and February, a top White House adviser warned that a coronavirus pandemic could cost the country trillions of dollars and endanger millions of Americans, according to two new reports.
    Peter Navarro, the top trade and manufacturing aide to the president, laid out the warning in two memos - one on Jan. 29 and another on Feb. 23, according to reports from the New York Times and Axios. Trump has repeatedly said that no one could have predicted the coronavirus pandemic.
    On Feb. 24, Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA."

Despite the warnings from Navarro, Trump in the past several weeks has claimed that "nobody" could have predicted the coronavirus pandemic.

No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Wow. Does Navarro still have a job after providing such a wild number?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Wow. Does Navarro still have a job after providing such a wild number?
      If he is going to lose his job I suppose it will be for other reasons.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        So, it seems the idea that no one could have predicted it should be seen in a different context:

Trump aide Peter Navarro warned 'as many as 1.2 million souls' could be lost to coronavirus: reports

No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person.
        You left out this part for some strange reason which would explain why what he said wasn't heeded

At the time of Navarro's first memo, aides were skeptical of his motives, Axios reported. Navarro in the past has been hawkish on China

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          You left out this part for some strange reason which would explain why what he said wasn't heeded

At the time of Navarro's first memo, aides were skeptical of his motives, Axios reported. Navarro in the past has been hawkish on China
          It would only explain why one would be extra cautious. It would not explain why Trump would pretend there hardly was a problem at all. The fact someone could have a motive to say something does not imply it is not true as the case clearly shows.

Comment

So let's see.. From the article you linked to.

First memo:

“The lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine would leave Americans defenseless in the case of a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil,” Navarro said in the first memo, according to the Times. “This lack of protection elevates the risk of the coronavirus evolving into a full-blown pandemic, imperiling the lives of millions of Americans."

Trump's response:

The same day of Navarro's first memo on Jan. 29, the White House coronavirus task force was formed. Trump announced a day later that he was blocking travel from China.

Second memo (not even sure it was Navarro):

“This is NOT a time for penny-pinching or horse trading on the Hill,” Navarro wrote in the second memo sent on Feb. 23. The memo also warned that an “increasing probability of a full-blown COVID-19 pandemic that could infect as many as 100 million Americans, with a loss of life of as many as 1.2 million souls," according to the Times.
            Trump's response:
            Worked with congress to pass the Family First act.

So exactly what are you complaining about? Trump listened and took the advice.

Trump saying that nobody could predict this was referring to the pandemic itself. Navarro didn't predict it. It was already happening at the time of his memos. Trump responded quickly and put together a task force. He had it under control as best as anyone could.

Comment

It would only explain why one would be extra cautious. It would not explain why Trump would pretend there hardly was a problem at all. The fact someone could have a motive to say something does not imply it is not true as the case clearly shows.
              Like typical liberals, you concentrate on what Trump says, not what he does. He was trying to calm the public. They were doing everything they could. And at the time there wasn't a problem. Not until it started spreading in the wild. They thought they had it contained in California and Washington.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Like typical liberals, you concentrate on what Trump says, not what he does. He was trying to calm the public.
                I don't think it is unfair to focus on what the most powerful man in the world says. I don't think it is unfair to hold him accountable when he says something that turns out to be completely wrong. I especially don't have a problem with that when he is unwilling to admit his error. Calming the problem is fair if the situation calls for it. If the situation calls for the public to be extra caustious, wash their hands extra carefully and the like, it is not a good idea.

With regard to what he has done, blocking travel from China seems to be what you can point to, or am I wrong? (And yes we have heard that "liberals" foolishly thought that was racist). What else did he do?

They were doing everything they could. And at the time there wasn't a problem. Not until it started spreading in the wild. They thought they had it contained in California and Washington.
                If they thought they had it contained what would they base that idea on?

Comment

I don't think it is unfair to focus on what the most powerful man in the world says. I don't think it is unfair to hold him accountable when he says something that turns out to be completely wrong. I especially don't have a problem with that when he is unwilling to admit his error. Calming the problem is fair if the situation calls for it. If the situation calls for the public to be extra caustious, wash their hands extra carefully and the like, it is not a good idea.

With regard to what he has done, blocking travel from China seems to be what you can point to, or am I wrong? (And yes we have heard that "liberals" foolishly thought that was racist). What else did he do?

If they thought they had it contained what would they base that idea on?
                  He did exactly what the memos your OP is referring to said to do. So what is the point of this thread? trolling again?

To repeat:

First memo:

“The lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine would leave Americans defenseless in the case of a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil,” Navarro said in the first memo, according to the Times. “This lack of protection elevates the risk of the coronavirus evolving into a full-blown pandemic, imperiling the lives of millions of Americans."

Trump's response:

The same day of Navarro's first memo on Jan. 29, the White House coronavirus task force was formed. Trump announced a day later that he was blocking travel from China.

“This is NOT a time for penny-pinching or horse trading on the Hill,” Navarro wrote in the second memo sent on Feb. 23. The memo also warned that an “increasing probability of a full-blown COVID-19 pandemic that could infect as many as 100 million Americans, with a loss of life of as many as 1.2 million souls," according to the Times.
                  Trump's response:

Trump saying that nobody could predict this was referring to the pandemic itself. Navarro didn't predict it. It was already happening at the time of his memos. Trump responded quickly and put together a task force. He had it under control as best as anyone could.

Comment

Sounds like Trump was taking it seriously.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

He did exactly what the memos your OP is referring to said to do. So what is the point of this thread? trolling again?
                      Because blocking travel from China and then state that everything was under control was it? I already adresses how his talk to calm the public was not helpful in a situation where there actually was a need to be extra careful.

To repeat:

First memo:

Trump's response:

So, knowing the scale of it he blocked travel to and from China. And??? "On Feb. 24, Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA.""

Trump's response:

Navarro certianly did point to potential consequences and to the scale of this quite some time before Trump went out to "calm" the public with his false statement that it was under control. If he had listened he knew when he said all that that the situation could become really, really bad.

Comment

So, talking about what Trump had very much under control (seemingly ingoring the warnings):

Fauci:

"If 'back to normal' means acting like there never was a coronavirus problem, I don't think that's going to happen until we do have a situation where you can completely protect the population," Fauci said. "But when we say getting back to normal, we mean something very different from what we're going through right now. Because right now, we're in a very intense mitigation. https://www.businessinsider.com/fauc...20-4?r=US&IR=T
                        This is said by the same Fauci who mid february told us not to worry too much...
                        Last edited by Charles; 04-07-2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Because blocking travel from China and then state that everything was under control was it? I already adresses how his talk to calm the public was not helpful in a situation where there actually was a need to be extra careful.

So, knowing the scale of it he blocked travel to and from China. And??? "On Feb. 24, Trump wrote in a tweet: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA.""

Navarro certianly did point to potential consequences and to the scale of this quite some time before Trump went out to "calm" the public with his false statement that it was under control. If he had listened he knew when he said all that that the situation could become really, really bad.
                          Wah! It sucks when your own source destroys your case doesn't it Chuck? Now you have to try to spin it into something else.

Trump said it was under control when it was under control. Then it wasn't, when they found out it had escaped into the wild. And they still have it under control, you don't see millions dead do you? That is what would have happened if he didn't do anything. That's from Fauci's mouth, up to 2 million dead. I guess you expect that when someone says it's under control that it means it is completely stopped in it's tracks or he is a liar? You have unrealistic expectations.

But the real motive here is that you are trying to find a way to blame Trump, no matter what he does.

He didn't just block travel from China. He blocked travel from Europe, created a task force, organized a nationwide effort to produce masks and ventilators using the DPA when needed. Instituted guidelines on how to socially distance and stay at home. Spearheaded the largest relief act in history. Let the experts on his team do their jobs. Encouraged the medical industry to come up with fast testing (5 Minutes!) - in other words, he lead the country.

But nothing is good enough, is it? because you have TDS.

Comment

So, talking about what Trump had very much under control (seemingly ingoring the warnings):

Fauci:

This is said by the same Fauci who mid february told us not to worry too much...
                            Us? I thought you lived in Europe? I guess that was another lie?

Comment

Trump saying that nobody could predict this was referring to the pandemic itself.
                              Right. Liberals say, "People have been predicating A pandemic of some sort for decades!" And I think the US was as prepared as it could be for A pandemic, but you can't specifically prepare for a vague threat at some indeterminate point in the future, which is what some people seem to be expecting from Trump. As I mentioned elsewhere, coastal states are hit by hurricanes almost every year, and they are as ready as they can be for the next one, and yet every time there are unique conditions and challenges that they simply didn't and in some cases couldn't anticipate.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment