Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Now the WHO wants to take our sick kids and other sick people right out of our homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Never?
    Too many folks benefit from things being abnormal. "Never let a crisis go to waste." The police state can keep demanding how much they need to take our liberties away to protect us, and the political state can keep spending like crazy on all their pet projects. It won't go back to normal until there's a vaccine, and even then, what's considered "normal" will be debatable. Remember, this whole thing is coupled with an economic tsunami.
    Last edited by seanD; 04-08-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
      To stop coronavirus we will need to radically change almost everything we do: how we work, exercise, socialize, shop, manage our health, educate our kids, take care of family members.
      We all want things to go back to normal quickly. But what most of us have probably not yet realized—yet will soon—is that things won’t go back to normal after a few weeks, or even a few months. Some things never will.

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...ing-18-months/
      Exactly what normalcy is it that you think we will not return to once we have this pandemic under control? People will perhaps be smarter, won't be shaking everyones hands in greeting, might even wash their hands more often, but other than learning those lessons, what government mandates do you fear will never be lifted?

Comment

To stop coronavirus we will need to radically change almost everything we do: how we work, exercise, socialize, shop, manage our health, educate our kids, take care of family members.
        We all want things to go back to normal quickly. But what most of us have probably not yet realized—yet will soon—is that things won’t go back to normal after a few weeks, or even a few months. Some things never will.

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...ing-18-months/
        The models are useless. One reason is that R0 changes a lot based on social behaviour.

If people are interested in greatly reducing possible viral load to themselves during normal activities, it is easy: basic mask, hand discipline, soap or disinfectant, and sunglasses.
        Last edited by demi-conservative; 04-08-2020, 01:58 PM.
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Exactly what normalcy is it that you think we will not return to once we have this pandemic under control? People will perhaps be smarter, won't be shaking everyones hands in greeting, might even wash their hands more often, but other than learning those lessons, what government mandates do you fear will never be lifted?
          The current economic system will never be able to recover.

Comment

The current economic system will never be able to recover.
            And by that you mean what exactly, that capitalism is done for.

Comment

Atlas has Shrugged.

Comment

One could argue the day America went off the gold standard, capitalism died. But when the Fed's balance sheet went up to 4.5 trillion in 2008, and the markets surged to record highs after, that was the nail in the coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  first of all what he suggested isn't even practical. The whole point of isolation at home is to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed, by keeping sick people at home unless they get bad enough to NEED to go to the hospital. Since most cases do not require hospitalization, this is a good strategy. If there is anyone in a household who is at high risk though, perhaps they should go somewhere else if someone in the household is sick.

This story is just a scare tactic from the right, just like all of the scare tactic stories from the left. This guy has no authority and doesn't even make any sense. He would end up flooding hospitals with non-serious cases. Or creating a logistics nightmare with trying to house that many sick people elsewhere, like some sort of group home or camp or something. It's nonsense.
                  Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I agree it is unlikely this would actually fly in the US. A country like China or Singapore that accepts authoritarianism as a way of life, certainly. But this nonetheless remains politically relevant as the next debate is to whether to cut off all funding to WHO like Trump has proposed. We will begin to ask ourselves whether this is an organization on the same page as the rest of us (though this one person's comment probably isn't the best evidence for that).
                  Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                  Please stop spreading this fiction. No one has suggested kidnapping kids. No one has suggested using force.

The only "this" here is letting sick people who can't go to the hospital now go to the hospital when there's room available. Of course we're going to allow this when we can.
                  Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I don't understand how my post is actually endorsing that interpretation.
                  I'll take your word for that.

But I'll also ask what you meant by the "this" that wouldn't fly in the US, and would be accepted in authoritarian countries like China and Singapore.

Comment

Freedom of assembly has been quickly surrendered. Rights are so easy to get rid of with enough fear.
                    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety, deserve neither, and will lose both."
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety, deserve neither, and will lose both."
                      Said Mountain Man. Or was it Benjamin Franklin?
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Freedom of assembly has been quickly surrendered. Rights are so easy to get rid of with enough fear.
                        The churches have also caved and freedom of religion has also been surrendered.
                        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

The churches have also caved and freedom of religion has also been surrendered.
                          I hope all of you guys have your tin foil hats at the ready.
                          Last edited by JimL; 04-09-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                            I'll take your word for that.

But I'll also ask what you meant by the "this" that wouldn't fly in the US, and would be accepted in authoritarian countries like China and Singapore.
                            There seems to be a lot less buy-in for the whole social distancing measures here, or at least a whole lot of push back. Even if such protocols relating to movements were pitched as voluntary (which I still rather doubt), there would be enough voices suggesting otherwise that I could see a whole lot of fear-based noncompliance. The fact is, this germ has already been placed in people's minds with this particular story having been circulated as such.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I hope you all guys have your tin foil hats at the ready.
                              That's sexist!

Comment