Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WHO is Really Responsible For The Pandemic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Yeah, they were mistaken. But in a way that is far easier to discern in hindsight (although I did in fact think that statement was suspicious and likely wrong when they issued it). This is unlike the mistakes made in the US response which were called out daily and in real time, with multiple voices accurately predicting the cost of those mistakes.
    I wish you would give Trump the same amount of grace on what he said early on.

But regardless, their "mistake" (which they have not retracted by the way, it is still their official position) was made at the END OF FEBRUARY. Long after we knew that this thing was spreading like wildfire and long after Trump already shut down international travel to the USA.

Comment

Explain to me how being thankful Trump is listening to Fauci and not other voices around him espousing different policies than Fauci is bashing Trump. If I am to avoid bashing Trump, I need to understand why you interpreted that comment as bashing Trump, because as far as I could tell I was complimenting Trump for listening the Fauci and not those other voices.
      Jim bring it to another thread.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Jim bring it to another thread.
        I see, so I compliment trump and you ban me anyway? Just so we are clear on what you are up to, I did in fact attempt to oblige your request not to bash trump. I did in fact compliment him, but that is in fact not the actual issue is it.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I wish you would give Trump the same amount of grace on what he said early on.

But regardless, their "mistake" (which they have not retracted by the way, it is still their official position) was made at the END OF FEBRUARY. Long after we knew that this thing was spreading like wildfire and long after Trump already shut down international travel to the USA.
          Trump is not criticized for shutting down air travel from china, at least not by me. But there are many other statements and actions which he took or did not take that are criticized.

Seer has asked me to leave. So that is all I get to say here.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I see, so I compliment trump and you ban me anyway? Just so we are clear on what you are up to, I did in fact attempt to oblige your request not to bash trump. I did in fact compliment him, but that is in fact not the actual issue is it.
            Jim I don't want this thread to be about Trump, period. Please stop...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Well no according to Fauci on Feb.17 the risk to Americans was still small at that point. But we should have stopped flights from Europe earlier. The idea is to keep the virus out of the country in the first place, as much as possible.

No excuse - fact. If we didn't know how infectious this virus was we didn't know. Period.
              At this point the conservative parrots are worse than the liberal TDS ones.
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

If only the WHO declared this epidemic as a pandemic a couple of weeks earlier, Mayor DeBlasio would not have gone to the gym for one last workout before closing them, Gov Justice would not have posted Eat at Bob Evans, its packed the day before shutting Bob Evans, President Trump would not have downplayed the threat of the corona virus, the US would have taken the lead in providing a rational response to the disease, hospitals would have been better prepared....

I mean, the WHO declared the corona virus a public health emergency at the end of January. And everyone knows that when the WHO calls something a public health emergency, no extra precautions are really needed!

The difference in the definitions between a public health emergency and a pandemic is.... is what exactly?

Just what is the difference between a pandemic and a public health emergency? Should we just ignore the WHO and public health officials for a Public Health Emergency, but pay attention for an officially declared pandemic? Do we need an international organization to tell us when to take the threat of an epidemic seriously?

Another question: How does one determine, with scientific accuracy, when a case is human to human transmission on a novel virus? Many here were fixated on the wet markets in Wuhan, without considering that many of the influenza viruses are zoonotic (pass through animals to humans). This virus apparently can pass to some cats, but not the other way around.

Comment

I don't find the Feb 17 tweet compelling. Dealing with a novel contagion means everyone takes turns being wrong. WHO could plausibly still have believed China (shouldn't have but stupidity is kinda normal in crisis management). But by the 29th there's no excuse - WHO had reports in from SK by then.

Much more damning was WHO's praise of the Chinese response - after the first reports of humanitarian violations were made public.

End US funding - China can pay its own water boy.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I saw this article in the Daily Mail last night:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ntric-WHO.html

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                      I saw this article in the Daily Mail last night:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ntric-WHO.html
                      I'm shocked - Tedros Ghebreyesus is a Commie...

Comment

Taking that comment out of the context of his full statement does in fact change what he said. It is called "quote mining". What the full context of his statement was in summary form is this: With 15 known cases and no unknown community spread, there is no danger.

Now can you process the fact that statement is a true statement, an accurate statement, but not the equivalent of your quote mined fragment?

The reality is that Fauci told President Trump that when and if we discover unknown community spread, we have a completely different situation and we must act immediately and aggressively if that is discovered.

As I said, you are being mislead by ideologues that are scientifically illiterate, and willing to distort the meaning of complex but accurate discussions from Dr Fauci of what the situation was on Feb 17.

And no, while china surely bears responsibility here, the severity of the current situation in the us is the white house's fault. They had the information they needed in plenty of time to act, and they did not.

That is the bottom line
                        I've read page after page of your nonsensical posts and as far as I can tell you're blaming Trump for not pre-emptively enacting draconian, authoritarian measures because the pandemic MIGHT BE an issue.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          I've read page after page of your nonsensical posts and as far as I can tell you're blaming Trump for not pre-emptively enacting draconian, authoritarian measures because the pandemic MIGHT BE an issue.
                          Do you mean the current draconian, authoritarian measures, that had they been taken earlier may have stopped the spread of the virus, saved tens of thousands of lives and saved 2 trillion in stimulus bailouts?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Do you mean the current draconian, authoritarian measures, that had they been taken earlier may have stopped the spread of the virus, saved tens of thousands of lives and saved 2 trillion in stimulus bailouts?
                            How would it save 2 trillion in stimulus bailouts? The economic downturn would have come no matter when he shut down most of the economy. The only difference is that all the trump haters would have accused him of shutting down the economy over nothing instead.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              How would it save 2 trillion in stimulus bailouts? The economic downturn would have come no matter when he shut down most of the economy. The only difference is that all the trump haters would have accused him of shutting down the economy over nothing instead.
                              The point is that if he didn't dismiss it as being not serious, if he didn't delay the response, then the virus wouldn't have spread like wildfire in the first place and there would be no need to shut down everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                The point is that if he didn't dismiss it as being not serious, if he didn't delay the response, then the virus wouldn't have spread like wildfire in the first place and there would be no need to shut down everything.
                                The virus "spread like wildfire" because he didn't "shut down everything". The only way to stop it from spreading early on would be draconian and authoritarian measures that would seriously damage the economy.

Comment