Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are you self-isolating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been furloughed at work, but my husband hasn't. He goes to work and comes right home. The only errands he runs after work are refilling our jugs of filtered water (whish is at an outdoor kiosk) and picking up meds at the pharmacy drive-through. I did have a few grocery pickups, but it is impossible to schedule that anymore since the time slots are taken as soon as they are posted on the website. I went to the grocery store a few days ago and shopped for me and my parents. They live across the street from me so it's easy to take care of them. I put their groceries on the doorstep, knock, and then leave.
    I have a grocery pickup coming up on Tuesday that I scheduled two weeks in advance, and have seen no open time slots since then. I am almost out of vegetables but I get deliveries from Imperfect Foods and will probably get a few things from them this week, although they are stretched almost to breaking with so many extra deliveries lately. They are running out of things as soon as they get them in as well as delaying deliveries and they don't normally do that.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
      ...I put their groceries on the doorstep, knock, and then leave. ....
      When I was a youth minister many years ago, that was one of our youth group's favorite activities --- we would round up some groceries, park down the street, sneak up on the porch of one of our shut-ins, then knock on the door and run like the dickens!

The kids called it "knock knock zoom zoom".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We are staying home except to get groceries. I can even phone the bank now to pay bills. Have to get scripts filled by calling the doctor's office instead of seeing the doctor. I don't know what people who are sick with things other than covid are doing, because as far as I know my doctor is closed.

My son works in a grocery store, my daughter works in the service department of a car dealership, so they are still working. My daughter's husband works for a developer and they've closed all the showhomes, so he's doing a little bit of work at home, which is good for our girly but not so good for him.

Mr. mossy and I are used to being home for most of the week, anyway, so it's not much of a change for us. But I have this feeling of "well, I used to be able to go here and there if I wanted to, without restriction, and now they tell me not to", and it's like I'm a prisoner in my house.

We got in the car this morning and went for a drive for an hour, just to do something different and charge up the car battery.
        Last edited by mossrose; 05-17-2022, 08:53 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          We got in the car this morning and went for a drive for an hour, just to do something different and charge up the car battery.
          Are you getting about three weeks to the gallon?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I normally get more than a month on a full tank, except in the winter when it's cold and we have to run the thing for 10 minutes before we get into it.

So, yeah, now at least 3 weeks to a gallon. Even though we use litres.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I wish I could. I live on one side of a metro area and work on the other. Once we get our coronavirus check we plan on getting something with better mileage.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I was working from home until furloughed this week.
                Sometimes I'm a jerk on purpose. Other times, it's by accident. I'm absolutely mortified at my poor judgment in describing the virus as a feature in an earlier thread.

I'm working harder than ever, like Ginger dancing with Fred "backwards, with heels."

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                  Sometimes I'm a jerk on purpose. Other times, it's by accident. I'm absolutely mortified at my poor judgment in describing the virus as a feature in an earlier thread.

I'm working harder than ever, like Ginger dancing with Fred "backwards, with heels."
                  We can change the title, if you'd like.

Comment

In all fairness, I'm sure you also didn't anticipate how literally some people would take that title (like one user hijacking it to express his hope that the elections would get delayed/canceled).
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

We can change the title, if you'd like.
                      Thank you, but no. That's a mark of shame that I need to own.

Comment

Thank you, but no. That's a mark of shame that I need to own.
                        Understood - but, again, who knew it would become such a monster?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I wish I could. I live on one side of a metro area and work on the other. Once we get our coronavirus check we plan on getting something with better mileage.
                          Because the sprawl keeps getting closer, my commute time had ballooned so I traded up to a hybrid. 45 mpg. Then I changed my schedule to teach at the closer campus, about a mile away.

After the change, my weekly mileage dropped from 250 miles a week to less than 50, and I was filling up every three months or so.

I'm good until next year, now.

Comment

Personally, I use an app called GroceryIQ that I share with my wife. We add things to it throughout the day or week so that, when we do go shopping, either or both of us can use that list.

And, LONG ago, we learned never to go shopping while hungry.
                            I put in an order for home delivery this morning and was told I wouldn't get my order until NEXT Thursday because they are really backed up with so many orders.

Comment

Personally, I use an app called GroceryIQ that I share with my wife. We add things to it throughout the day or week so that, when we do go shopping, either or both of us can use that list.

And, LONG ago, we learned never to go shopping while hungry.
                              The other thing is that you should not go to the store until you have used the restroom, or you may be compelled to hoard TP.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                                The other thing is that you should not go to the store until you have used the restroom, or you may be compelled to hoard TP.
                                When you get my age, you never miss an opportunity to go to the head.

Comment