Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Telemarketers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telemarketers

Not sure where this should go, but I thought this was interesting...

I have a MagicJack phone line that I use as my contact for domain registrations.
    I never answer that number, it ALWAYS just goes straight to voicemail, which automatically goes to my e-mail inbox as an MP3.

Lately, almost DAILY, I get a phone call from a very proper and friendly sounding gentleman telling me "so, we reviewed your file, and noticed you had asked about Medicare Supplemental Insurance a few months back - we're sorry we missed that, but I wanted to catch up......"

Then he gives a toll-free number, of course.

So, today, I called that toll-free number. It was, indeed, one of the mainline insurance companies.
    The nice lady answered the phone, and asked how she could help me.

Conversation went pretty much like this (after the obligatory "this call is being recorded for training purposes, blah blah blah)....

Her: How may I assist you?
    Me: Why would you want to work for a company of pathological liars?
    Her: [brief silence] - um... I'm sorry, what's this about?
    Me: Why would I want to buy insurance from a company whose very first contact with me was an outright lie?
    Her: I honestly don't know what you're talking about, sir...
    Me: Here, listen to this sales pitch from your company...
    [played audio]
    Her: That's from OUR company?
    Me: I called the toll-free number and got you! You're honestly unaware of this sales pitch?
    (she genuinely sounded surprised and confused)
    Her: Well, as I said at the beginning, this call is being recorded, and if you don't mind, I'd like to get a supervisor on the line, because that's not how we do business, sir.
    Me: That would be great!
    Her: OK, please hold on just a moment, you'll hear silence, then I'll bring.... um... Sylvia on the line.
    Me: That works for me!
    [silence]
    [more silence]
    [dial tone]
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I have been getting the "we have been trying to contact you about your car's extended warranty"

I am currently waiting for an email from a prince in Nigeria who wants to send me a million rolls of toilet paper.

Comment

I really believe that the first person I talked to was genuinely unaware of the scam - and that, when the supervisor came on line, she was told "just hang up".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You just can't imagine how many apology calls I receive from my utility company. And they don't even know who my utility company is.

Or how many calls I get from Heather at Cardholder Services telling me that there is nothing wrong with my credit record.

And they use phony caller ID names and numbers.

You're absolutely right! Who would even think of doing business with such pathological liars?
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          You just can't imagine how many apology calls I receive from my utility company. And they don't even know who my utility company is.

Or how many calls I get from Heather at Cardholder Services telling me that there is nothing wrong with my credit record.

And they use phony caller ID names and numbers.

You're absolutely right! Who would even think of doing business with such pathological liars?
          There has GOT to be some calculation that shows it's justified in sales numbers to do such dishonest stuff --- as in - there's a sucker born every minute?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            There has GOT to be some calculation that shows it's justified in sales numbers to do such dishonest stuff --- as in - there's a sucker born every minute?
            I would even suspect that these are third party robocallers who get a commission on driving business to a company through a designated phone number or something.

Comment

I've started asking to speak to a supervisor immediately (assuming I even answer the phone). I have asked for the full name and physical address of the company that is supposedly calling me. I have asked for the name of the CEO or COO of the company that is supposedly calling me. Usually while I'm talking I am looking up the name of the company that they say they are representing, which usually doesn't exist.

I have received very few answers to my questions, and eventually the person hangs up.

It's great fun.

I've hardly had any calls in the last month, though. Everybody must be socially distancing from their phones!
              Last edited by mossrose; 04-09-2020, 07:46 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                I've started asking to speak to a supervisor immediately (assuming I even answer the phone). I have asked for the full name and physical address of the company that is supposedly calling me. I have asked for the name of the CEO or COO of the company that is supposedly calling me. Usually while I'm talking I am looking up the name of the company that they say they are representing, which usually don't exist.

I have received very few answers to my questions, and eventually the person hangs up.

It's great fun.

I've hardly had any calls in the last month, though. Everybody must be socially distancing from their phones!
                I think I mentioned before -- when my youngest daughter was very young, she LOVED to talk on the phone. When a telemarketer would call, I would tell them, "why don't you talk to the lady of the house..." and I would hand the phone to Jenny.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  I've started asking to speak to a supervisor immediately (assuming I even answer the phone). I have asked for the full name and physical address of the company that is supposedly calling me. I have asked for the name of the CEO or COO of the company that is supposedly calling me. Usually while I'm talking I am looking up the name of the company that they say they are representing, which usually don't exist.

It's great fun.

more fun to play dumb and string them along.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    more fun to play dumb and string them along.
                    I'll never forget when Jenny was "taking a message", and she stopped the guy to ask "how do you write an R"?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I'll never forget when Jenny was "taking a message", and she stopped the guy to ask "how do you write an R"?
                      A true pirate in the making.

Comment