Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Best Friend Heart Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Friend Heart Attack

For those of you who watched our Church Service - you've met James. He does the scripture reading and prayer, and this past Sunday, he did the prayer for blessing the elements of communion.

Yesterday, about 3:30 in the afternoon, he was preparing to do some landscaping in his backyard by the pool. He and his wife were working, talking, having a great time, when she suddenly heard a "thud", and James was face down on the ground, unconscious.

She told her mother to call 911, while she ran next door to get a neighbor who is NEVER home, but due to Covid..... he, a veteran with CPR training, came over and started CPR immediately. His wife called me, and I was only 3 blocks away, so I arrived at the same time the ambulance did. The Paramedics took over CPR, and began trying to find a pulse, and after a brief time, James started coughing and gagging, though still unconscious (they were trying to get the airway in him).

Long story short, James was taken to the hospital, and I drove his wife and her mother, but we were told at the ER that there was absolutely no admittance. We would have to wait in my truck, and get updates by phone.

We saw the ambulance that brought him to the hospital was still there, so we walked over to see if they could tell us anything. The lead paramedic knew me in my role as police chaplain, and told us "wait here, I think I can get you in". Not only did he get us in, he got us to the room, just outside in the hallway, where her husband was being treated.

The doctor came out several times to give updates - EKG was not showing heart attack, not yet known what was wrong, but they were doing the thermal cooling blanket and keeping him on respirator to mitigate any brain damage due to lack of oxygen while he was "out".

Finally, the doctor offered to let his wife into the room to see him - with signs everywhere saying "ZERO VISITOR POLICY", then a nurse came over and asked, "are you his pastor"? I confirmed that I was, and she said "if you'd like to, you can go in and pray with them".

As of now, James is still in stable condition, being kept unconscious for cooling, and his wife will only have phone contact with the hospital -- no more visiting.

Please pray for James -- he is not only one of my very best friends, he is part of our ministry team!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Lord, please heal James and comfort his wife and friends. Guide the hands of his doctors to get him well again.

Comment

ing for James and his family.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Update - CT results are in - mostly good, one area of concern. They will begin the process of warming him up beginning this evening, and then start the process of waking him up in about 24 hours or so. He has responded well to the thermal cooling, and remains stable.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One really weird thing happened --- the doctor was unable to get ANY health information from the local hospital where James had had a complete physical, including EKG and stress test just a month or so ago, and was pronounced healthy. THREE TIMES the doctor came to us and told us he was a little puzzled that he couldn't get any info, and asked, are you SURE it was (X) hospital? He even confirmed what cardiologist had done the test, and that that cardiologist had no record whatsoever of treating James.

This morning, the wife tried to get information from the hospital (ZERO VISITOR policy) by phone, and they kept telling her he was not at that hospital. She began to get very anxious, and told them what time James had arrived at the hospital. They said the only patient they received in that time frame was somebody with the first name (X) --- and she said, no, that's my PASTOR's name!!!

They actually admitted her husband to the hospital under MY NAME, and were relying on MY medical records! Not ONE TIME did anybody try to confirm to her what her husband's name was.

Comment

Wait, is that a HIPA violation?
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Wait, is that a HIPA violation?
              Only major BIGTIME! Director of Emergency Services is pulling the recordings to see when and how that happened.

Comment

Hope the doctors are more competent than the medical record peolle...
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

oh wow.

Didn't the paramedic say they would admit you into the hospital?

Pray healing for your friend.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                      oh wow.

Didn't the paramedic say they would admit you into the hospital?

Pray healing for your friend.
                      I think what happened is this....

ONE of the paramedics (whom I'd never met) approached me while the others were working on James, and asked for some ID, due to new Covid-19 regs -- anybody at the scene has to be documented as being there.

I handed him my drivers license, and one of the police officers said, "no, he's with us!"

By that time, the paramedic had already radio'd my DL# to dispatch.

I think THAT is where things went off the rails. Somehow, dispatch thought this paramedic was giving the victim's ID, OR, maybe dispatch later got confused with numerous IDs, and assigned my ID to the victim.

Long story short, there were a NUMBER of opportunities to clear this up.
                      By not allowing the wife to ride in the ambulance (due to Covid) there was no opportunity to confirm identity.
                      By not allowing the wife into the ER when James was admitted, there was no opportunity to confirm identity.
                      When the doctor came to us THREE TIMES to express bewilderment that James was "not in the system" at the other hospital, there SHOULD have been a "let's make sure we have the name spelled correctly" or SOMETHING.

This has turned into rather a big deal, as I have been notified that the Director of Emergency Services would like to question me as to the sequence of events at the scene.

MEANWILE!!!!!! James continues to be stable, they began the warm-up process (from the thermal cooling) last night, and should be waking him up later today.
                      The CT scan came back with just one small area of concern, but otherwise encouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        One really weird thing happened --- the doctor was unable to get ANY health information from the local hospital where James had had a complete physical, including EKG and stress test just a month or so ago, and was pronounced healthy. THREE TIMES the doctor came to us and told us he was a little puzzled that he couldn't get any info, and asked, are you SURE it was (X) hospital? He even confirmed what cardiologist had done the test, and that that cardiologist had no record whatsoever of treating James.

This morning, the wife tried to get information from the hospital (ZERO VISITOR policy) by phone, and they kept telling her he was not at that hospital. She began to get very anxious, and told them what time James had arrived at the hospital. They said the only patient they received in that time frame was somebody with the first name (X) --- and she said, no, that's my PASTOR's name!!!

They actually admitted her husband to the hospital under MY NAME, and were relying on MY medical records! Not ONE TIME did anybody try to confirm to her what her husband's name was.
                        Didn't they notice you all kept talking about "James" when they had him listed under your name?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Didn't they notice you all kept talking about "James" when they had him listed under your name?
                          Who knows - maybe they thought "James" was "my" nickname? And now we found out they hit my Blue Cross / Blue Shield and Medicare. THAT's gonna be fun to straighten out!

They had him and were working on him for 18 hours using MY medical history!

MEANWHILE..... wife just stopped by the Church and gave us an update (more complications from the name confusion, but let's set that aside) that James is still doing well, the warming process is well under way, and they'll probably wake him later today.

Encouraging news from the neighbor who began CPR - he said that several times, James opened one eye and tried to look around, so there were signs of life... And I know I heard James cough a couple times when they were trying to get the airway in, so...

Wife is doing very good, still quite upset about the name confusion, but handling this all very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Who knows - maybe they thought "James" was "my" nickname? And now we found out they hit my Blue Cross / Blue Shield and Medicare. THAT's gonna be fun to straighten out!

They had him and were working on him for 18 hours using MY medical history!

MEANWHILE..... wife just stopped by the Church and gave us an update (more complications from the name confusion, but let's set that aside) that James is still doing well, the warming process is well under way, and they'll probably wake him later today.

Encouraging news from the neighbor who began CPR - he said that several times, James opened one eye and tried to look around, so there were signs of life... And I know I heard James cough a couple times when they were trying to get the airway in, so...

Wife is doing very good, still quite upset about the name confusion, but handling this all very well.

Wait, how did they get your social and medicare/insurance info? Did they just look it up in their computers? shouldn't they have at least confirmed it with his wife? I mean he could have been a different person with your name. They seem pretty incompetent.

Comment

Any update?
                              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment