Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jewish accounts similar to the gospel narratives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish accounts similar to the gospel narratives

Robert Plummer examines six Jewish sources, and finds some remarkable correlations with what happens in the temple at about the time of Jesus' death.

Source: Robert Plummer

We went on to survey six early non-biblical Jewish sources that also report unusual phenomena in the temple prior to its destruction. Some of these traditions (e.g. an earthquake, the temple curtain tearing, and temple doors opening on their own) seem to correlate closely with the Gospel traditions. One of the most significant details in some of the sources is the explicit dating of these odd events to “forty years before the temple was destroyed”—the time of Jesus’ crucifixion.

Our conclusions must remain tentative about the historical reality of the events reported in the non-biblical Jewish sources. We must be circumspect as well in attempts to correlate them with historical accounts in the Gospels. Yet, even with these caveats, it appears to me that there is enough relevant data to warrant considering this information in historical assessments of the Gospel narratives.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Robert Plummer examines six Jewish sources, and finds some remarkable correlations with what happens in the temple at about the time of Jesus' death.

Source: Robert Plummer

We went on to survey six early non-biblical Jewish sources that also report unusual phenomena in the temple prior to its destruction. Some of these traditions (e.g. an earthquake, the temple curtain tearing, and temple doors opening on their own) seem to correlate closely with the Gospel traditions. One of the most significant details in some of the sources is the explicit dating of these odd events to “forty years before the temple was destroyed”—the time of Jesus’ crucifixion.

Our conclusions must remain tentative about the historical reality of the events reported in the non-biblical Jewish sources. We must be circumspect as well in attempts to correlate them with historical accounts in the Gospels. Yet, even with these caveats, it appears to me that there is enough relevant data to warrant considering this information in historical assessments of the Gospel narratives.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    All of this is way after the time of the life of Jesus. These are spectacular events. Do you have one reference written at the time they took place.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      All of this is way after the time of the life of Jesus. These are spectacular events. Do you have one reference written at the time they took place.
      Would you change your mind, even if there were such a reference?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        Would you change your mind, even if there were such a reference?
        No such reference exists. 'Arguing from ignorance' does not support your case. I base my view on whether there are archaeological and reliable independent text references provided.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

No such reference exists. 'Arguing from ignorance' does not support your case. I base my view on whether there are archaeological and reliable independent text references provided.
          None of this interacts with my question in any meaningful sort of way.

Comment

None of this interacts with my question in any meaningful sort of way.

Frank

Comment

In other words, nothing will change your mind, even when authenticated by "archaeological and reliable independent text references provided" ? That's what Chrawnus is asking...
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                In other words, nothing will change your mind, even when authenticated by "archaeological and reliable independent text references provided" ? That's what Chrawnus is asking...
                No that is not what I said. Quote me accurately I do not take baited hooks. Again . . . No such reference exists. 'Arguing from ignorance' does not support your case. I base my view on whether there are archaeological and reliable independent text references provided.

Frank

Comment

No that is not what I said. Quote me accurately I do not take baited hooks. Again . . . No such reference exists. 'Arguing from ignorance' does not support your case. I base my view on whether there are archaeological and reliable independent text references provided.
                  Um. Ok.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    Um. Ok.
                    Glad we are in agreement.

Frank

Comment

Well, apparently you're unable to entertain the notion of a hypothetical. I wasn't asking you if such such a reference exists or not, or what you base your views on, I am asking you IF such a reference that you're asking for DID exist, would your view on this issue change.

Comment

Well, apparently you're unable to entertain the notion of a hypothetical. I wasn't asking you if such such a reference exists or not, or what you base your views on, I am asking you IF such a reference that you're asking for DID exist, would your view on this issue change.
                        The hypothetical is for the wishful thinking to justify their religious agenda. I do not go there. I follow the archaeological discoveries and research in peer reviewed journals into any recent finds concerning texts even scraps continuously. Nothing has been found to support this argument.

My shotgun is locked and loaded for clay pigeon shotting down any claims.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-28-2020, 09:45 PM.

Frank

Comment