Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pro wrestling deemed essential in Florida - same day McMahon pledged $18 mil donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro wrestling deemed essential in Florida - same day McMahon pledged $18 mil donation

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...ess-in-orlando

While I recognize the role of entertainment in diverting people at such a time, when I first heard this announcement from the Florida governor's office, it struck me as a slap in the face to every worker furloughed or worse at this time thanks to the original executive order.

Now it makes sense - that same day, Vince McMahon made an $18 million donation to a pro-Trump PAC that same day (Florida's governor has a close political relationship with Trump). This seems problematic, especially given that two WWE employees in Florida already tested positive for coronavirus in the first place.

If anything, this makes me more skeptical of the general lockdown orders; if businesses feel compelled to essentially bribe the governor's office to remain open, and if this works, then the system seems arbitrary (I'm reminded of how Michigan allows marijuana sales but not general gardening tools/hardware) and perhaps should not be handled at so high a level.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

You mean a political quid pro quo conspiracy theory?

Comment

What? That is ridiculous. I would think pro wrestling would be one of the first things banned, just because of the body to body contact involved, not to mention the audience packed together.

Comment

I saw the title and well

Wassup Coronavirus snap into a slim jim.

In all seriousness though I dont think this is a good idea.
        sigpic

Comment

I guess the stimulus check is the bread, and this is the circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

While I recognize the role of entertainment in diverting people at such a time, when I first heard this announcement from the Florida governor's office, it struck me as a slap in the face to every worker furloughed or worse at this time thanks to the original executive order.

Now it makes sense - that same day, Vince McMahon made an $18 million donation to a pro-Trump PAC that same day (Florida's governor has a close political relationship with Trump). This seems problematic, especially given that two WWE employees in Florida already tested positive for coronavirus in the first place.

If anything, this makes me more skeptical of the general lockdown orders; if businesses feel compelled to essentially bribe the governor's office to remain open, and if this works, then the system seems arbitrary (I'm reminded of how Michigan allows marijuana sales but not general gardening tools/hardware) and perhaps should not be handled at so high a level.
            I never saw logic in a general lockdown order, especially in California where there are many less dense counties. Also, it is arbitrary to say that you can't gather in more than 10 people. How does this distinguish between 10 people in a small office and 10 people in a 300,000 square foot building.

Also, the governors should not be able to claim an emergency that lasts longer than a week if the legislature has not also endorsed the emergency action through a vote. Never should the legislature be omitted from strong control of the process -- defining limited privileges to the governor. Right now it seems the governors assume powers to decide who has sponsored them enough to be declared an essential business. Though, we see some balancing of the system when counties refuse to enforce the rules by the governors.

Comment

The political action committee, America First, has been dogged by reports of antisemitism and racism. And no, it was not just a one off thing.

No, the Nazis biggest mistake was not that they didn't go far enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I guess the stimulus check is the bread, and this is the circuses.

Time to restart the football.
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  What? That is ridiculous. I would think pro wrestling would be one of the first things banned, just because of the body to body contact involved, not to mention the audience packed together.
                  There is more body to body contact in wrestling, but there's also fewer participants. A game of basketball has 10 players on the court at once, wrestling usually only has 2 (team matches have more, like 4-6, but still short of something like basketball).

I haven't watched much wrestling but from what I have seen, I can definitely see them holding to the "10 or fewer people" required per match (not sure if that's the Florida rule but I'll assume it is). Two wrestlers, one referee, an announcer or two, a few camera men... you can do it while keeping those numbers below 10, even if you add in a few wrestlers for a group match (they might keep it down to one-on-one matches, though, due to the circumstances). And only two of them are actually in contact with each other.

So I can easily see how professional wrestling matches can pass muster in the general rules laid out whereas other sports can't.

They'd probably have to make sure to disinfect off the ring between matches, though.

Comment

The issue really isn't the relative safety of the activity itself. I think it can be pulled off without too much risk. It's the implicit message sent to workers whose bosses lack the same political clout wondering about their next paychecks.
                    Last edited by KingsGambit; 04-17-2020, 01:02 PM.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Sounds like he is in harmony with Trump's priorities, and opened the beaches while the numbers of COVAG-19 go through the roof.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Sounds like he is in harmony with Trump's priorities, and opened the beaches while the numbers of COVAG-19 go through the roof.
                        Is there a reason you keep calling it COVAG?

Comment