Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas on how to reopen the economy w/o returning to exponential spread

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A further suggestion I would have would be to move away from regulations that require certain aisles of businesses already open to be roped off because the goods themselves are not essential (pictures have circulated of seed aisles being roped off in Michigan and Vermont). I understand the protectionist complaints from businesses who specialize in these and cannot remain open and who cannot compete with Wal-Mart, but I would maintain that, say, farming supply stores could probably still physically operate while respecting CDC guidelines.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Give people below 30 five trillion total to blow on holidays, uber, alcohol, weed, cars, clothes, jewellery, computers and the lot. Rain the cash, push that demand curve!

Tell them that for every existing credit card they own, they have a one-time free ten grand backed by Big Daddy Uncle's Sam magic unlimited printer to spend. And it's their patriotic duty to spend, to save the economy, to save everyone. Spend, spend spend!!!
    Last edited by demi-conservative; 04-16-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    1. Keep the most vulnerable at home. And still allow anyone who can work from home to do so.
    2. Let the less vulnerable go back to work.
    3. Do extensive testing. Maybe a company could get some of those 5 minute tests and check everyone once a day or something. At the very least check temperature every morning.
    4. Separate workers in individual offices instead of open cubicles.
    5. Install HEPA filters in the HVAC system if possible or install HEPA filters in various areas.
    6. Workers should wear masks in public areas, especially when commuting to work, riding in elevators, going through doorways into large buildings, etc.
    7. close down open gathering places like lunchrooms.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    A further suggestion I would have would be to move away from regulations that require certain aisles of businesses already open to be roped off because the goods themselves are not essential (pictures have circulated of seed aisles being roped off in Michigan and Vermont). I understand the protectionist complaints from businesses who specialize in these and cannot remain open and who cannot compete with Wal-Mart, but I would maintain that, say, farming supply stores could probably still physically operate while respecting CDC guidelines.
    thanks KG. I had not seen the 'roping off', the hardware stores here are just open - mostly (one near our house had employees with covid, so they closed - maybe just for a few weeks, not sure). Yeah it seems if the store is deemed safe to open there should be no reason to restrict what is purchased there.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-16-2020 at 01:43 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    1. Keep the most vulnerable at home. And still allow anyone who can work from home to do so.
    2. Let the less vulnerable go back to work.
    3. Do extensive testing. Maybe a company could get some of those 5 minute tests and check everyone once a day or something. At the very least check temperature every morning.
    4. Separate workers in individual offices instead of open cubicles.
    5. Install HEPA filters in the HVAC system if possible or install HEPA filters in various areas.
    6. Workers should wear masks in public areas, especially when commuting to work, riding in elevators, going through doorways into large buildings, etc.
    7. close down open gathering places like lunchrooms.
    All good Ideas, thanks Sparko.

I've wondered if we should not just push the age for full retirement back down to 65 or maybe less for those that can afford to go ahead and retire. It would increase costs a bit, but maybe not as much as the increased medical care due to increased medical care/mortality for those at or above 65 that catch covid. With them out of the workforce, it would help reduce the likelihood of them catching or spreading it at work.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's going to spread no matter what we do. Either now or later. Delaying the reopening of the economy is only delaying the inevitable.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    It's going to spread no matter what we do. Either now or later. Delaying the reopening of the economy is only delaying the inevitable.
    The economy is destroyed already and "reopening it" (whatever that means) won't do anything to recover what we've already lost (with the exception of a likely market spike). On the other hand, if they reopen and there's a second wave, Trump will get blamed for that in addition to everything else.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    No - it's just not that black and white Bill. S Korea still has spread, but it is at a very low rate. Yes it will continue to spread. But if the rate is a few hundred or less per day as opposed to 10's of thousands like we have now, and we have good testing and tracing protocols, we can live with that. What we can't live with is an out of control exponential growth where hospital staff or dying and worked to exhaustion and morgues can't hold all the bodies. further, if we can proactively test Elder care workers at least daily, then we have a much better chance of truly protecting them w/o having to lock them in solitary confinement. It's complicated, It's not simple, but there are things we can do short of just letting everyone die that can't fight it off.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    The economy is destroyed already and "reopening it" (whatever that means) won't do anything to recover what we've already lost (with the exception of a likely market spike). On the other hand, if they reopen and there's a second wave, Trump will get blamed for that in addition to everything else.
    Looking for positive approaches, creative ideas, even reasonable questions (e.g. how can we work around problem X) not negative gripes. Please stay within those boundaries or you'll be required to practice virtual social distancing wrt this thread

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    So - the point is to look for ideas that allow 'opening up' without opening up so to speak. We agree we don't want to just 'open up' willy nilly, but if we get creative there are probably ways to restart the economy w/o necessarily putting large numbers of people back in physical contact with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Looking for positive approaches, creative ideas, even reasonable questions (e.g. how can we work around problem X) not negative gripes. Please stay within those boundaries or you'll be required to practice virtual social distancing wrt this thread
    Thing is, the term "opening up" is too ambiguous. Folks are already making those necessary accommodations now. They're avoiding each other. They're wearing masks in public (at least here in LA it's now a government directive). Those who can work from home are working from home. Those who can afford to order their food online are doing that. So I don't know what "opening up" means apart from that or what you could possibly to do differently that isn't already happening now, especially if your argument is things we can to do to save the economy, because that's the impression I got from your OP.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).