Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Half of all cases happening in care homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half of all cases happening in care homes

Residents of assisted living facilities reportedly account for about half of all COVID-19 deaths in five European countries.

Care homes in Italy, Spain, France, Belgium and Ireland have been a concentrated source of death during the pandemic, according to a report released Sunday by the International Long-Term Care Policy Network, an academic research group based at the London School of Economics.

A majority of Spanish COVID-19 deaths, 57 percent, were from patients living in care homes. Majorities were also seen in Ireland, with residents of the facilities making up 54 percent of deaths, while in Italy the figure was 53 percent. Over 44 percent of French deaths and 42 percent of deaths in Belgium were linked to care homes.
    https://www.newsweek.com/half-all-co...ggests-1497631
    Similar story from Canada and some US states.
    Last edited by demi-conservative; 04-16-2020, 01:56 PM.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Did you have a link for this?

Comment

Edited in the link about Europe. For Canada and the US, I leave it as a search engine exercise.

Comment

Outbreaks at seniors’ homes have caused hundreds of deaths across Canada, close to half the COVID-19-related fatalities in the country, according to Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...vid-19-deaths/
        Sounds like they are death traps.

Comment

Never say that demi is unkind to the searching-impaired

Coronavirus hits nearly 300 Pa. elder-care centers, accounting for half the state’s deaths

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200415.html

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
            Sounds like they are death traps.
            Some studies suggest that the first-year mortality rate for intensive care nursing home residents is as high as 60%. That doesn't necessarily say much about nursing homes.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Some studies suggest that the first-year mortality rate for intensive care nursing home residents is as high as 60%. That doesn't necessarily say much about nursing homes.
              every one I have ever visited was horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Or it's the simple fact that nursing homes are often the last stop for people who are too unwell to care for themselves. There's a reason the term "nursing" is in the name. They're not retirement communities.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  every one I have ever visited was horrible.
                  How so? Is human life "horrible", or just the last nine months?

Nursing homes are all filled with people at the end of their life, and those dedicated to their care. The label of "horrible" is as much a commentary on how human frailty is viewed.

The fact is that in the US there are many excellent nursing homes that do not seem terrible, except those are for the elites of society.

Comment

https://www.kron4.com/health/coronav...d-19-outbreak/

A local elite died at a skilled nursing facility. An investigation has been opened up by the local DA.

the bone headed DA should be ashamed of himself, nurses and CNAs have been risking their own health to provide care, and now they face a criminal probe. Nursing homes are facing about a one third absentee rate, and are struggling to operate, and the problems with PPE availability and chaotic, conflicting policies on wear.

The "sue the nursing home" industry will be working overtime after this is over, and the workers, many of whom earn just over minimum wage will decide Costco, Walmart or McDonalds offers similar pay without the risks.

Edit to ADD: The county health commissioner issued an order for all long term care facilities to change their practices to stop the spread of corona virus. As if there is any facility which has not examined their practices!
                    Last edited by simplicio; 04-17-2020, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Or it's the simple fact that nursing homes are often the last stop for people who are too unwell to care for themselves. There's a reason the term "nursing" is in the name. They're not retirement communities.
                      Yes, when an old person's care becomes so problematic that it exceeds the family's resources, the nursing home is the last stop. We have several "assisted living" places, where residents actually seem to thrive, but when they get to the point where they're dependent on other people for most of their care, they're pretty much in "hospice".

That's why I'm always so good to my Nurse daughter. SHE will choose my nursing home!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

Nursing homes are all filled with people at the end of their life, and those dedicated to their care. The label of "horrible" is as much a commentary on how human frailty is viewed.

The fact is that in the US there are many excellent nursing homes that do not seem terrible, except those are for the elites of society.
                        Several of our nursing homes are "horrible". The stench of urine and feces is in the air, the quality of the employees seems to indicate a "let's hire the absolute cheapest labor we can get away with", and condition of the facility is run down.

We have 6 nursing homes - 2 of them, I think, could be classified as "horrible", or close to it.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          That's what I was getting at.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

No, the horribleness (is that a word?) was from the way the people are being treated. Most nursing homes are understaffed, have a low budget, and staffed with people who don't seem to care about the patients. It's probably the lowest rung on the healthcare ladder. If you are any good, you would be working somewhere else. And that shows. I have had family members in nursing homes.

Now I am not saying that there are NO people working there that care for patients and do a good job. I am sure there are, and probably some good nursing homes out there, but by and large, they are not someplace you want to end up, or loved ones. We put our mother in one when she had lung cancer on the advice of a doctor. After only a few days, we took her back out and my brother took her in and hired home nurses and hospice. My brother's father-in-law had a stroke and their family could not care for him and there wasn't any home healthcare avaliable there so he had to go to a nursing home. They took such poor care of him that he lost a leg because they didn't catch an infection in time. He eventually died there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              No, the horribleness (is that a word?) was from the way the people are being treated. Most nursing homes are understaffed, have a low budget, and staffed with people who don't seem to care about the patients. It's probably the lowest rung on the healthcare ladder. If you are any good, you would be working somewhere else. And that shows. I have had family members in nursing homes.

Now I am not saying that there are NO people working there that care for patients and do a good job. I am sure there are, and probably some good nursing homes out there, but by and large, they are not someplace you want to end up, or loved ones. We put our mother in one when she had lung cancer on the advice of a doctor. After only a few days, we took her back out and my brother took her in and hired home nurses and hospice. My brother's father-in-law had a stroke and their family could not care for him and there wasn't any home healthcare avaliable there so he had to go to a nursing home. They took such poor care of him that he lost a leg because they didn't catch an infection in time. He eventually died there.
                              We (our Church) does Nursing Home Ministry, and we are in every Nursing Home in town (6 of them, at present) at least once a month, and usually more often.

It's pretty clear that two of them seem to be operating on a "what's the cheapest we can get by with", and it shows on so many levels - including, as you mentioned, the people they hire.

It's like the difference between Chick-Fil-A and McDonald's.

FOUR of the six nursing homes seem to be more about "how can we get more out of every dollar we spend", and it shows, again, on so many levels. From the dining hall, to the quality of employees, to the "atmosphere" of the residents...

TWO of the six seem to be "superior" -- again, you can tell by the nursing staff, the cleanliness, the smell, the attitude....

Probably the horriblest (is that a word) Nursing Home is called "High Hope" - and I have often envisioned a sign above the door that reads "abandon all hope, ye who enter herein".

Comment