Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Half of all cases happening in care homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Some studies suggest that the first-year mortality rate for intensive care nursing home residents is as high as 60%. That doesn't necessarily say much about nursing homes.
    The statistics are not accurate if you only consider the assisted living homes. It appears high because that is where a large percentage of the elderly live. Actually all over the Western world the proportional relationship of the fatalities is the percentage of the elderly and the health of the elderly and vulnerable population. Northern Italy probably has the highest percent elderly population (see source cited below). Interesting to note that the elderly population in the Orient is in much better health than the West. When I lived there and practiced TaiChi in the morning with thousands of the older generation.

The best source: is: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Several of our nursing homes are "horrible". The stench of urine and feces is in the air, the quality of the employees seems to indicate a "let's hire the absolute cheapest labor we can get away with", and condition of the facility is run down.

We have 6 nursing homes - 2 of them, I think, could be classified as "horrible", or close to it.
      The stench comes from incontinent people at the end of their lives. The condition of building is a result of those who occupy it.

The race for the "cheapest" help is in part from a system which relegates the elderly to such conditions. If Christians gave a rip about the elderly, then they would flock to their aid.

But then again the "cheapest labor we can get away with" are actually there, where help is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        No, the horribleness (is that a word?) was from the way the people are being treated. Most nursing homes are understaffed, have a low budget, and staffed with people who don't seem to care about the patients. It's probably the lowest rung on the healthcare ladder. If you are any good, you would be working somewhere else. And that shows. I have had family members in nursing homes.

Now I am not saying that there are NO people working there that care for patients and do a good job. I am sure there are, and probably some good nursing homes out there, but by and large, they are not someplace you want to end up, or loved ones. We put our mother in one when she had lung cancer on the advice of a doctor. After only a few days, we took her back out and my brother took her in and hired home nurses and hospice. My brother's father-in-law had a stroke and their family could not care for him and there wasn't any home healthcare avaliable there so he had to go to a nursing home. They took such poor care of him that he lost a leg because they didn't catch an infection in time. He eventually died there.
        All nursing homes are understaffed, except for the top tier of homes. And yes, it is the lowest rung on the healthcare ladder, because that is the value placed on it. And there are no snazzy television shows about nursing homes.

So your church does not have any congregants who are willing to care for those most in need? Pro life has real meaning, and it extends from the conception to end of life. The trouble is, the Lord made the end of life such that it is not cute and cuddly. And even Christians are repulsed by what He hath wrought!

Horrible?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          The stench comes from incontinent people at the end of their lives.
          Of course, but it is mitigated in better run facilities.

The condition of building is a result of those who occupy it.
          Actually, it's those who run it. The residents also "occupy" it, but they have little to no control over the facilities.

The race for the "cheapest" help is in part from a system which relegates the elderly to such conditions. If Christians gave a rip about the elderly, then they would flock to their aid.
          Why do you think our Church is at EACH of the nursing homes at least once a month, and often more?

But then again the "cheapest labor we can get away with" are actually there, where help is needed.
          Um..... is that supposed to be some kind of comfort?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Of course, but it is mitigated in better run facilities.

Actually, it's those who run it. The residents also "occupy" it, but they have little to no control over the facilities.

Why do you think our Church is at EACH of the nursing homes at least once a month, and often more?

Um..... is that supposed to be some kind of comfort?
            Just what does your church do at EACH of the nursing homes at least once a month? DOH! I am sure it is a very productive couple of hours, and you leave feeling very good about yourselves.

Comment

Just what does your church do at EACH of the nursing homes at least once a month? DOH! I am sure it is a very productive couple of hours, and you leave feeling very good about yourselves.
              Thank you ever so much for asking, dear brother!

Actually, we're there to assess needs, to have a church service with the people, then we spend a bunch of time 'back at home' gathering up whatever it is they need - many times, it's socks, or chapstick, or fresh fruit, or knitted hats. Many of those people never even get a visit from their families, so, in many cases, we're their family.

And, yeah, it does gives us joy, which I guess you could pervert into a snarky "you leave feeling very good about yourselves."
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thank you ever so much for asking, dear brother!

Actually, we're there to assess needs, to have a church service with the people, then we spend a bunch of time 'back at home' gathering up whatever it is they need - many times, it's socks, or chapstick, or fresh fruit, or knitted hats. Many of those people never even get a visit from their families, so, in many cases, we're their family.

And, yeah, it does gives us joy, which I guess you could pervert into a snarky "you leave feeling very good about yourselves."
                So nothing for the needs of the staff, those who are the cheapest they can get away with, the ones not good enough for the more better jobs in health care?

I am impressed at the couple of hours a month, but much of the staff is there for over 160 hours an month. Many of those workers which you disparage are working poor who are working with the undesirable end of human life, the "problematic" end of life.

Pro life? Not in my view. Self righteous? Yes.
                Last edited by simplicio; 04-17-2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

So nothing for the needs of the staff, those who are the cheapest they can get away with, the ones not good enough for the more better jobs in health care?
                  You must be desperate to find something with which to pick nit, simp. We actually minister to them, too. They love to see us come, and they help gather the residents into the dining room or meeting room for us.

I am impressed at the couple of hours a month,
                  I'm so glad you're impressed. That's ENTIRELY why we do it! But, actually, we coordinate about 20 other churches so that EVERY nursing home has services every single week, on rotation.

but much of the staff is there for over 160 hours an month.
                  Yes, in a free labor market, they chose those jobs, and are paid to be there.

Many of those workers which you disparage are working poor
                  Disparage? I don't disparage them at all --- that's your own perverted interpretation. The emphasis was on ownership/management's practices.

who are working with the undesirable end of human life, the "problematic" end of life.
                  Hmmmmm..... I think you've been hanging around Ox too much, and have some of this root of bitterness, as well. We're committed to being there for these people, and somehow you do your best to turn this into a personal attack. Good job!

Ah, you HAVE been hanging around Ox too much, and you also have contracted this "holier than thou" judgemental attitude.

Well, he needs a friend, so....

Comment

You'd make an excellent Pharisee!

Comment

You'd make an excellent Pharisee!
                      Why?

The homes which don't smell like patients soiled their pants most commonly achieve that by turning away those inconvenient patients. The community hospitals which take all comers are more likely to be dingy and dank, because they do not have the funding or the endowments.

Taking patients as they are is entirely consistent with the Christian view, it is not consistent with maintaining pristine hallways.

Those "cheapest available help" seem to have fallen off your radar, which probably explains why you were so easy with denigrating those who actually take on the tasks of caring for those inconvenient people. Your outreach failed to reach out where it is needed.

Comment

Why?

The homes which don't smell like patients soiled their pants most commonly achieve that by turning away those inconvenient patients. The community hospitals which take all comers are more likely to be dingy and dank, because they do not have the funding or the endowments.

Taking patients as they are is entirely consistent with the Christian view, it is not consistent with maintaining pristine hallways.

Those "cheapest available help" seem to have fallen off your radar, which probably explains why you were so easy with denigrating those who actually take on the tasks of caring for those inconvenient people. Your outreach failed to reach out where it is needed.
                        What are you doing for your local nursing homes, simp? Are you there for several hours a month, or even daily, giving the staff a hand to change diapers and clean up other various body fluids? Are you helping to feed those who can't feed themselves? Are you spending time with those who have nobody to visit them?

Because if you aren't you have absolutely no finger to point at CP or anybody else here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Why?
                          Because all you seem to be doing is self-righteously accusing others of being self-righteous.

The homes which don't smell like patients soiled their pants most commonly achieve that by turning away those inconvenient patients.
                          OR, they spend the extra money to hire enough people to manage the situation. And they're not "patients" -- they are residents.

The community hospitals which take all comers are more likely to be dingy and dank, because they do not have the funding or the endowments.
                          Hospitals? We're talking about nursing homes. MAJOR difference.

Wow. See, THERE's another steaming load of horsiepoo. We minster in ALL SIX nursing homes, regardless of "smell" or "patient" (they're called residents).

Those "cheapest available help" seem to have fallen off your radar,
                          False.

which probably explains why you were so easy with denigrating those
                          Yup, you've spent way too much time kissing Ox's butt -- there is ZERO denigration of the workers. Simply noting that some nursing homes higher more qualified people is not a denigration of those who accept the lower paying jobs.

who actually take on the tasks of caring for those inconvenient people.
                          I almost have to believe this is a parody - that you're pretending to be a judgmental horses' butt trying to find fault.

Your outreach failed to reach out where it is needed.
                          You and Ox deserve each other.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            What are you doing for your local nursing homes, simp? Are you there for several hours a month, or even daily, giving the staff a hand to change diapers and clean up other various body fluids? Are you helping to feed those who can't feed themselves? Are you spending time with those who have nobody to visit them?

Because if you aren't you have absolutely no finger to point at CP or anybody else here.
                            You make an excellent point, mossrose. Denigrating workers who actually do the inconvenient work is entirely consistent with Christian values as long as you put in one more hour during a 720 hour month.

But is it consistent with the pro life ethic? The good Lord made people, persons made in the image and likeness, pretty inconvenient at the end of life. What a divine plan!

I asked Sparko if anyone at his church thought it worthwhile to enter the nursing profession at the "bottom rung". Do you think it worthwhile to work with those at end of life? Do you think it worthwhile to work with those doing the "horrible" work of wiping butts and changing extra large diapers?
                            Last edited by simplicio; 04-18-2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

You make an excellent point, mossrose. Denigrating workers....
                              This is a flat out lie.

Comment

This is a flat out lie.
                                Post number 12: "the quality of the employees seems to indicate a "let's hire the absolute cheapest labor we can get away with", and condition of the facility is run down."

Do you inform the workers when you go into the nursing home that they appear to be the cheapest labor the home can get away with? Do you think those workers would see it as denigrating their work and themselves?

There are two questions here, but I suppose only the first one is needed: Do you tell the workers that they appear to be the cheapest help available?
                                Last edited by simplicio; 04-18-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment