Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Half of all cases happening in care homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I was using myself as a standard...
    A standard what?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      A standard what?

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        I read back looking for one which showed hostility to carpe. I may have missed some, but I didn't see any. are you sure that you are not misreading my post?

My main point to carpe was that he, nor anyone else, would be able to persuade some posters here on any other thread where a parallel is to be found.
        Here:

"I wonder how many posters here actually agree with Carpe on the context and his reasoning! If they did, then they would be able to apply the same reasoning elsewhere. I'll give you a clue: they don't, his view is rejected continually."
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Here:

"I wonder how many posters here actually agree with Carpe on the context and his reasoning! If they did, then they would be able to apply the same reasoning elsewhere. I'll give you a clue: they don't, his view is rejected continually."
          Maybe I should have worded it differently. But it does ask the question of whether the same principle behind carpe's conclusion would be accepted in another context. If they accept his reasoning in the one case, then it could apply in another, similar case.

That was not a dig at carpe.

Comment

• Some nursing home workers are getting hazard pay on top of their wage. I do not know the details of it, other than the announcement.

Something needed to be done, the CNAs compared their paycheck to the unemployed and realized that they need to work a whole lot of overtime to match the pay for not working.

Comment

• https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/corona...ith-body-bags/

The NYS mandate that nursing homes accept positive patients goes back to 25 Mar.

Including body bags with PPE was a crass and insensitive move, those should have their own independent distribution to prevent unfortunate coincidences like this one (the body bags arrived on the same the first patients transferred in with a positive test).

That is downstate where the system is slammed. Upstate there have been relatively fewer examples of this, there is still slack capacity in the acute hospitals, while almost no excess capacity in long term care.

On another note: the time spent now on personal care is down somewhere under an hour per patient. And some homes are still showing no spread in spite of exposures. Kudos to all homes.

Comment

• -New York City is now sending help with manpower shortages in nursing homes. The slow build up of stories about nursing homes (those horrid places) and the deaths in the have people alarmed. And government responding. The first impulse was to send aid to acute facilities, the long term care facilities were forgotten as contingency plans were forgotten!

Cuomo noted that they have a responsibility to give adequate care. But if an infection spreads in a home, that is not adequate care by definition. If adequate infection control measures are taken, then the infection will not spread. Catch-22.

The mixed messages from Cuomo (who I have come to greatly respect) are alarming, one the one hand he is denying responsibility for assisting them in getting supplies in this chaotic market. A small home does not have the staffing to source materials, they typically call up their vendor to ship more stuff. And if the vendor is out? The health department has suspended investigations but then the next sentence refers to the health department's investigations. So administrators are going into CYA mode. I do not know how the health department will handle the slew of reports piling up, reports which mandate an investigation by the health department.

-The minimal staffing of nursing homes (either a result of capitalist greed or the result of a shortage of health care workers) is becoming apparent, patient families are surprised to learn that the homes depend on part time workers who have more than one job in more than one home.

-Just how does one distinguish the good home from the poor one? Good homes are being plagued by multiple deaths while the poor homes are successfully fending off contagion, preventing spread. But eventually each and every home will have cases spreading.

-Should homes allow families to visit? That is the one universal criticism of the homes' care during the pandemic. And we have the horror stories of the patients being denied food, denied medicine, denied basic care. If those homes had any employees who saw care as a calling, they should speak out. Families keep an eye out for the inadequate care, but just what constitutes inadequate care?

-Will the homes be financially solvent after this pandemic ends? We often cite competition as valuable in assuring effective care. But will be field be less competitive?

Comment