Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Was Muhammad illiterate? Could he read and write?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Muhammad illiterate? Could he read and write?

This article says Muhammad was not illiterate and could read and write.

https://submission.org/Claim_of_Muha...lliteracy.html

Thank you.

You have posted a link to an article. What about it?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Wasn't this discussed before?
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        You have posted a link to an article. What about it?
        It says that Muhammad could read and write. Muslims claim he couldn't read and write.

We have to asked ourselves if Muhammad could not read and write, why would Allah send the angel Gabriel to Muhammad and ask him to read something.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          Wasn't this discussed before?
          I couldn't find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
            I couldn't find anything.
            Yeah...I must have seen this question elsewhere. Never mind, carry on.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

And it came to pass, I remember there was much discussion about Joseph Smith being illiterate or not --- amusingly, one of the "proofs" that Smith received the Book of Mormon through supernatural means was because he wasn't, himself, very literate.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This article says Muhammad was not illiterate and could read and write.

https://submission.org/Claim_of_Muha...lliteracy.html

Thank you.
                This article seems to be from a website of "United submitters international" founded by Rashad Khalifa .....?.....
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashad_Khalifa

"Khalifa said that he was a messenger of God but not a prophet. He saw his role as purging the accretions that found their way into Islam via hadith and sunnah, which he claimed were corrupted. Instead, he believed that the beliefs and practices of Islam should be based on the Quran alone."

Mainstream Islam (Sunni and Shia) hold that both the Quran and hadith/sunna are important.

Comment

The generally accepted understanding is that Prophet Muhammad was "illiterate" the degree to which he was "illiterate" may be up for debate with some understanding that he was "unlettered" and others that he was "unscriptured".

Comment

But, Islam's BIG problem today is that the Sunni and Shia sects do not follow the same collection of the hadith.

Shias reject the ALL the Sunni hadith collections of "sahih" Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawud, Nas'ai etc. Shia islam has its own unique set.

Likewise sunnis reject ALL the Shia hadith collections as well.

Islam needs the hadith traditions to show the way HOW TO practise islam in daily life.

Without the hadith, islamic orthopraxy is DEAD. That's why the koran-only muslims are considered kuffar or infidels or at least apostates or murtaddin in islam.

There is deep, irreconcilable disagreement ans differences and a big divide between the two Islams from centuries ago about how to apply koranic injunctions to daily life. From the divergent Hadiths both sects follow.

Who knows what is right and wrong for daily muslim living, to execute the muslims fard u ain and fard kifayah then??

You tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                      The generally accepted understanding is that Prophet Muhammad was "illiterate" the degree to which he was "illiterate" may be up for debate with some understanding that he was "unlettered" and others that he was "unscriptured".
                      The story of Muhammad's visit in the cave by some being is:

Sahih Bukhari 1.3)

Narrated 'Aisha: (the mother of the faithful believers)

The commencement of the Divine Inspiration to Allah's Apostle was in the form of good dreams which came true like bright day light, and then the love of seclusion was bestowed upon him. He used to go in seclusion in the cave of Hira where he used to worship (Allah alone) continuously for many days before his desire to see his family.

He used to take with him the journey food for the stay and then come back to (his wife) Khadija to take his food like-wise again till suddenly the Truth descended upon him while he was in the cave of Hira. The angel came to him and asked him to read. The Prophet replied, "I do not know how to read. The Prophet added, "The angel caught me (forcefully) and pressed me so hard that I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read and I replied, 'I do not know how to read.' Thereupon he caught me again and pressed me a second time till I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read but again I replied, 'I do not know how to read (or what shall I read)?' Thereupon he caught me for the third time and pressed me, and then released me and said, 'Read in the name of your Lord, who has created (all that exists) has created man from a clot. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous." (96.1, 96.2, 96.3) Then Allah's Apostle returned with the Inspiration and with his heart beating severely.

Muhammad said he could not read.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        And it came to pass, I remember there was much discussion about Joseph Smith being illiterate or not --- amusingly, one of the "proofs" that Smith received the Book of Mormon through supernatural means was because he wasn't, himself, very literate.
                        The fact is that Muhammad could be responsible with what is in the Qur'an without knowing how to read or write. All he would have to do is repeat what Jews and Christians told him and add his own thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                          This article seems to be from a website of "United submitters international" founded by Rashad Khalifa .....?.....
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashad_Khalifa

"Khalifa said that he was a messenger of God but not a prophet. He saw his role as purging the accretions that found their way into Islam via hadith and sunnah, which he claimed were corrupted. Instead, he believed that the beliefs and practices of Islam should be based on the Quran alone."

Mainstream Islam (Sunni and Shia) hold that both the Quran and hadith/sunna are important.
                          It doesn't matter where the article came from because the logic makes sense.

Comment

The fact is that Muhammad could be responsible with what is in the Qur'an without knowing how to read or write. All he would have to do is repeat what Jews and Christians told him and add his own thoughts.
                            EGGzackly.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              EGGzackly.
                              Yes, and that would explain how so much Jewish and Christian folklore got into the Qur'an as "revelation."

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X