Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Deadly shooting spree in Nova Scotia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadly shooting spree in Nova Scotia

I know that most of you don't particularly care about what happens in Canada, but this tragedy occurred here on the weekend.

I am going to insist that the POTUS is not brought up, at all, and that there be no discussion about gun control. So please adhere to my request.

If nobody has anything else to say, that's fine, but I thought I would bring it to your attention. Because life and death is going on in the world regardless of the virus.

A small rural Nova Scotia community is coming to grips with a 12-hour shooting spree that killed at least 17 people, the deadliest mass shooting in Canadian history.

The primary suspect of the shooting has also died, police confirmed Sunday.

One of the victims has been identified as RCMP Const. Heidi Stevenson, a 23-year veteran of the force. Stevenson leaves behind a husband and two children.

I heard this morning that there are now 18 dead.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6841159/n...ng-death-toll/

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Yeah I heard about that on the news. :-(

They don't know why he did it.

Comment

A tragic act of evil.

Comment

I saw the shocking headlines in The Daily Mail. All because of a jealous ex husband from what I gathered? They showed photographs of a smiling woman Mountain Police (Mountie)? surrounded by children and another healthy looking woman smiling and now both dead.

Comment

I'm not wanting to get into a discussion about gun control laws, but what are they in Canada? Similar to those in the US, or more like the other Western nations?

Just for my own edification, I'm not going to argue for or against whatever the answer is.

Comment

I'm always telling my wife that I'd like to move to New England (Maine or New Hampshire) or to some eastern Canadian province. I use Google maps to zero in on small towns in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland. Part of my interest is that those areas seem far removed from nutjobs going on rampages. But after such an event in New Zealand, I suppose no place on earth is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
              I'm not wanting to get into a discussion about gun control laws, but what are they in Canada? Similar to those in the US, or more like the other Western nations?

Just for my own edification, I'm not going to argue for or against whatever the answer is.
              They are quite stringent here. Handguns are restricted and you are required to have a restricted possession and acquisition license (RPAL). Canada's federal laws severely restrict the ability of civilians to transport restricted or prohibited (grandfathered) firearms in public. There was a great brouhaha quite a few years ago when the Liberal government in power at the time tried to bring in long gun control. It was a billion dollar boondoggle. People were hiding their long guns and refusing to turn them in.

I believe this was an assault rifle.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So was the fact he had an 'assault rifle' a crime in itself (what he did with it obviously was), or is it likely he had a license or some such to have it on him in the first place?

I only ask as its hard for someone in my country to get one, which would make a similar sad story here unusual, just wondered if it was the same over there, or if acquiring one was relatively straight forward.

I didn't think it needs to be said, but it's an awful story and a tragedy for all involved.

Comment

I'll stop the line of questioning, I just realised I know next to nothing about the law over there so wanted to find out

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                    So was the fact he had an 'assault rifle' a crime in itself (what he did with it obviously was), or is it likely he had a license or some such to have it on him in the first place?

I only ask as its hard for someone in my country to get one, which would make a similar sad story here unusual, just wondered if it was the same over there, or if acquiring one was relatively straight forward.

I didn't think it needs to be said, but it's an awful story and a tragedy for all involved.
                    I am also mostly ignorant about the gun laws here. So I don't know, without looking it up, if he had the rifle legally or not. I do believe it's very difficult to get any kind of gun here.

Comment

Terrible!
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The report of those fires makes me uneasy. Sounds like the shooter was on a totally destructive bent...past caring about anything.

Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          I am also mostly ignorant about the gun laws here. So I don't know, without looking it up, if he had the rifle legally or not. I do believe it's very difficult to get any kind of gun here.
                          Back in 74 I spent a few weeks hunting and camping on Cape Breton. Such a beautiful area...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Back in 74 I spent a few weeks hunting and camping on Cape Breton. Such a beautiful area...
                            It is indeed. My husband and I were there several years ago when his brother was still alive in Halifax. We have been to Scotland, and there is a reason the province, and especially the Cape, are called "New Scotland".

19 dead now, and possibly more as they investigate the 4 burned structures.

Absolutely horrendous.

Comment

Count is up to 22.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/22/84069...cotia-police-s
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment