Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who Were the Disciples on the Road to Emmaus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think the traditional explanation was something like - she didn't expect to see Him, and here eyes were filled with tears.
    And maybe it was early in the morning and something about the shadows.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And maybe it was early in the morning and something about the shadows.
      Or the sun was behind him and in her eyes. Or he was wearing glasses, like Clark Kent.

Comment

Why did she recognise him as the gardener then.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
          I think her eyes were blinded by the Lord, too. Until he spoke to her.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I think the traditional explanation was something like - she didn't expect to see Him, and here eyes were filled with tears.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
              Because she just assumed the gardener would be the only one in the cemetery at that time of day? I dont think she "recognized" him as the gardener, just assumed he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Because she just assumed the gardener would be the only one in the cemetery at that time of day? I dont think she "recognized" him as the gardener, just assumed he was.
                This makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  I think her eyes were blinded by the Lord, too. Until he spoke to her.
                  This explanation works well for me thanks.

Comment

Well, the pronouns in the Emmaus passage are masculine plural, and "some of our women surprised us" (Luke 24:22) seems to place the disciples in the category of men. And I think Jesus did look different after his resurrection (see John 21:12).

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                      Well, the pronouns in the Emmaus passage are masculine plural, and "some of our women surprised us" (Luke 24:22) seems to place the disciples in the category of men. And I think Jesus did look different after his resurrection (see John 21:12).

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      Thanks.

Comment

My question is why couldn't they recognize him? Were they only peripherally in his circle so they didn't know his face well? Did he look different (do they shave the beard off when they bury someone?) or was it something 'magical' where Jesus kept them from recognizing him?
                        I'm going with cognitive dissonance. It was so profound and unheard of God raising a man from the dead who had died the most disgraceful death imaginable during that time, their mind couldn't register it. His teaching broke the block.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          I'm going with cognitive dissonance. It was so profound and unheard of God raising a man from the dead who had died the most disgraceful death imaginable during that time, their mind couldn't register it. His teaching broke the block.
                          They were talking about him and didn't recognize him when he showed up because of cognitive dissonance? That is pretty hard to believe. They would have thought he was a ghost or something, but not just not recognize him, unless he looked different, or somehow mentally blocked them from recognizing him.

Comment

They were talking about him and didn't recognize him when he showed up because of cognitive dissonance? That is pretty hard to believe. They would have thought he was a ghost or something, but not just not recognize him, unless he looked different, or somehow mentally blocked them from recognizing him.
                            The mind's a powerful thing. Maybe a combo of shadows and mind block? Notice how he chastises them for their unbelief, which sort of doesn't make sense if he was disguising himself. He was trying to break through that mind block caused by their unbelief. I think folks don't realize (especially skeptics) how the very idea of crucifixion totally cancelled out his claim to messiaship. If it weren't for the resurrection, they would have never believed such a story, which means they never would have invented it that way if it was based on fables and legend. Notice they recognize him only when he broke bread. Could that be when they saw the scars? I don't know, just a theory.
                            Last edited by seanD; 04-22-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment