Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Does wearing masks really prevent coronavirus outbreaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    To reinforce the point of the references and the posts. Again heat and humidity have no apparent effect on this corona virus.

, . . and regardless of you trying to raise the fog index on the data for Singapore, the data in all countries and cities clearly demonstrate that crowded living and social events are major spread of the COVID 19, and humidity and temperature have no effect on the COVID 19 virus.
    I have no idea how this signifies how bad the virus is. The number of cases is found is based on the number of tests done. If you do more tests, the covid-19 numbers will rise. Other than that I'm not sure what you mean about the fog in Singapore. If you want to show a higher number of cases, you simply do more tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
      I think if everyone covered their noses and mouths properly when in public with a mask or any covering such as a bandana or homemade mask or scarf, this will definitely help and perhaps could be the safest and quickest way of opening up the economy so far.

Here is an article in The Daily Mail with a study:

Does wearing face masks REALLY prevent coronavirus outbreaks? Data shows countries that imposed compulsory mask-wearing managed to reverse their crises as leading doctors urge Britons to use scarves to make their own.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uggest-do.html
      Common sense tells me that masks certainly must help, some masks better than others, but to my surprise, scientists do have differing opinions.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/202...ct-on-covid-19
      Last edited by JimL; 05-06-2020, 10:17 PM.

Comment

To reinforce the point of the references and the posts. Again heat and humidity have no apparent effect on this corona virus.

, . . and regardless of you trying to raise the fog index on the data for Singapore, the data in all countries and cities clearly demonstrate that crowded living and social events are major spread of the COVID 19, and humidity and temperature have no effect on the COVID 19 virus.
        Source: https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/coronavirus-expert-says-the-virus-will-burn-itself-out-in-about-6-months/679415

"Sunlight will cut the virus' ability to grow in half so the half-life will be 2.5 minutes and in the dark it's about 13 to 20 [minutes]," Nicholls said. "Sunlight is really good at killing viruses."

© Copyright Original Source

Source: https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/top-dhs-scientists-says-heat-humidity-slow-coronavirus/

If you look as the temperature increases, as the humidity increases, no sun involved, you can see how drastically the half-life goes down on the virus. So it’s dying in a much more rapid pace [with] just exposure to higher temperatures and to humidity,” Bryan continued.
        But he also said that it dissipates more quickly in sunlight than in the dark because ultraviolet light helps kill the bug.

Comment

I have references, you have provided nothing except odd 'I read somewhere' bogus claims about heat. The bottom line is heat and humidity do not effect the COVID 19 virus..
          One thing you will see on the coronavirus news is that any positive news will be countered by a negative news story. The media is really playing to this raising of hope followed by the dashing of that hope. This tends to wear out the audience and make things a lot more gloomy overall.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            I have no idea how this signifies how bad the virus is. The number of cases is found is based on the number of tests done. If you do more tests, the covid-19 numbers will rise. Other than that I'm not sure what you mean about the fog in Singapore. If you want to show a higher number of cases, you simply do more tests.
            No fog in Singapore. I said Singapore is hot and humid and coronavirus is not effected by hot and humid weather as Sparko asserted, and you cited odd meaningless I 'have read.' nonsense about extreme heat.

If you are clueless about how the number of cases there are over time that's your problem, you need to do some reading. You have cited nothing to support your rambling assertions.

The following site gives detailed discussion on the how the numbers are determined, degree of testing, methods, and accuracy. https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...BR+ESP+CHN+SGP
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-07-2020, 05:49 AM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

One thing you will see on the coronavirus news is that any positive news will be countered by a negative news story. The media is really playing to this raising of hope followed by the dashing of that hope. This tends to wear out the audience and make things a lot more gloomy overall.
              Very confusing and meaningless. I watch the news from different sources, and when there is good news like the drop in cases and fatalities in NYC, when there is bad news there is bad news.

One note on the problem of distancing is North Carolina. Over 60-70% of the cases and fatalities occurs in meat packing plants and extended care facilities. Extended care facilities have the added problem of the vulnerable,
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

It is not known that humidity and heat kill this virus. In Singapore, hot and humid they relaxed the measures and the infections increased.

Source: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/05/03/849135036/singapore-was-a-shining-star-in-covid-control-until-it-wasnt

Singapore Was A Shining Star In COVID-19 Control — Until It Wasn't

Early on in the coronavirus pandemic, Singapore was praised as a shining example of how to handle the new virus. The World Health Organization pointed out that Singapore's aggressive contact tracing allowed the city-state to quickly identify and isolate any new cases. It quickly shut down clusters of cases and kept most of its economy — and its schools — open. Through the beginning of April, Singapore had recorded fewer than 600 cases.

By the end of April, however, the case count exceeded 17,000. And not only is all of Singapore now under a strict lockdown, but it has the most coronavirus cases in Southeast Asia.

The vast majority of these cases are in the overcrowded dormitories that house more than 300,000 of Singapore's roughly 1 million foreign workers — and the number of cases is expected to continue to rise in the coming weeks.

"We have started our testing with the dormitories where there were a high number of cases detected," Singapore's health minister, Gan Kim Yong, said in a virtual press briefing this week.

Singapore ordered a lockdown on April 7 in response to an uptick in cases in the general population — and then began to find a significant number of cases in the dorms.

A classic failure of the lack of safe didtancing.
                That is most likely because the virus goes around between people mostly indoors, in air conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  That is most likely because the virus goes around between people mostly indoors, in air conditioning.
                  A new study in NY found that 60 some odd percent of the newly effected, i.e. those infected long after the guidelines were put into effect, were of people who sheltered in home. Strange.

Comment

Does wearing masks really prevent coronavirus outbreaks?

Simple no, but it does reduce the possible spread of the coronavirus by those wearing it.
                    Those having it shouldn't be out in public anyway they are supposed to stay home in quarantine or be in a hospital, and if they don't have symptoms, then they wouldn't be coughing or sneezing so why would they need to wear a mask?

Comment

For Shuny, the NHS study of coronavirus on surfaces

showing temperature and humidity impact the virus.

more info:
                      https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/23/us-sa...-70f-12602532/

Comment

Very confusing and meaningless. I watch the news from different sources, and when there is good news like the drop in cases and fatalities in NYC, when there is bad news there is bad news.

One note on the problem of distancing is North Carolina. Over 60-70% of the cases and fatalities occurs in meat packing plants and extended care facilities. Extended care facilities have the added problem of the vulnerable,
                        Good point. Most news is confusing and meaningless.

Comment

No fog in Singapore. I said Singapore is hot and humid and coronavirus is not effected by hot and humid weather as Sparko asserted, and you cited odd meaningless I 'have read.' nonsense about extreme heat.

If you are clueless about how the number of cases there are over time that's your problem, you need to do some reading. You have cited nothing to support your rambling assertions.

The following site gives detailed discussion on the how the numbers are determined, degree of testing, methods, and accuracy. https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...BR+ESP+CHN+SGP
                          I missed finding any content on your link that gave better assurance that the number of cases contributes meaningful information to us.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            A new study in NY found that 60 some odd percent of the newly effected, i.e. those infected long after the guidelines were put into effect, were of people who sheltered in home. Strange.
                            This, if the testing meant anything useful, would at best show that the quarantine was useless or harmful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              No, that is an assumption on your part to justify your agenda. There is absolutely no evidence at present that coronavirus is temperature nor humidity sensitive. Not everybody lives in air conditioning in my experience in China and visiting Singapore, particularly student dormitories where some of later breakouts occured.

Frank

Comment

Good point. Most news is confusing and meaningless.
                                No, I was referring to your posts, and no coherent references..

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X