Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Rise of Vegetarianism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    I take it you avoided the swine flu epidemic and the bird flu, because of meat in your diet? Your first sentence noted that vegetarianism was unhealthy, the second was anout avoiding germs. Which factor contributed to your health?
    I avoid virus' because I'm super hyper aware of where I put my hands in public at all times and the things I touch before and after I get back home. Just because you thoroughly wash your hands when you get home doesn't mean it isn't on your phone, on other parts of your body you touched, on your keys, on your light switch, on the faucet handle you touched, on other objects you touched in your home before you washed your hands, etc. Germophobes know exactly what I'm talking about. Teaching folks this awareness will do wonders and is obviously more practical than dismantling and bankrupting an entire food industry. My point about vegetarianism is that it's not the solution because then you'd have more sick and ill than the virus itself.

Comment

A number of Influenza A type viruses have emerged from the farm animals which pose a health risk. The possibility of novel zoonotic viruses increases with the size of the nation's animal agriculture.
      I realize this, I am mostly Vegetation with a no red meat diet.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The goal for health is to make your immune system stronger. Seventy percent of this protection occurs in your digestive system -- just as a piece of information -- without considering what you eat. So you need to make sure your digestive system is working best. You need sunshine and some of the basic vitamins: A, C and D. Then a lot of our illness occurs because our body is weakened by toxic materials we use in and on our bodies ... also cleansers we use. Our bodies can process some levels of the toxins but we tend to overload our bodies with these foreign chemicals.

Our medical system is not geared toward improving nutrition and avoiding harsh chemicals. The system focuses on fixing the symptoms or fixing damaged things. We then do not need to kill off all the farm animals to make us safe, though we may need to improve the raising of these animals so that are food supply is not inherently toxic.

Comment

We condemn the wet markets of China, but this nation's animal herd poses a similar public health risk.
          Does it? Cite your source. When was the last time the US had even a minor epidemic that could be traced back to animals being raised for food?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Does it? Cite your source. When was the last time the US had even a minor epidemic that could be traced back to animals being raised for food?
            I think the swine flu of 1978 was spread among pig farms.

But if we get rid of pigs, where would we get our bacon? Simplicio doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I think the swine flu of 1978 was spread among pig farms.

But if we get rid of pigs, where would we get our bacon? Simplicio doesn't make any sense.
              Well, here's a list from the CDC that covers the past decade:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/outbreaks.html

It's all salmonella related, which is contracted from under cooked food.

Bottom line, herds of animals in the US do not pose a significant health risk to humans.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                The goal for health is to make your immune system stronger. Seventy percent of this protection occurs in your digestive system -- just as a piece of information -- without considering what you eat. So you need to make sure your digestive system is working best. You need sunshine and some of the basic vitamins: A, C and D. Then a lot of our illness occurs because our body is weakened by toxic materials we use in and on our bodies ... also cleansers we use. Our bodies can process some levels of the toxins but we tend to overload our bodies with these foreign chemicals.

Our medical system is not geared toward improving nutrition and avoiding harsh chemicals. The system focuses on fixing the symptoms or fixing damaged things. We then do not need to kill off all the farm animals to make us safe, though we may need to improve the raising of these animals so that are food supply is not inherently toxic.
                Yup, let's bankrupt an entire food industry because folks have no impulse control, don't exercise, and can't put down the soda and ring dings.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Yup, let's bankrupt an entire food industry because folks have no impulse control, don't exercise, and can't put down the soda and ring dings.
                  Today it is popping vitamins, soda pop in one hand and ring dings in the other huffing it on the treadmill.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Should people put down the soda and ring dings? I remember when New York City passed an ordinance limiting pop, I think it was about the super size phenomenon. If the amount of pop consumed is a health issue, then the regulations were a cost saving measure for health industry!

Comment

Many are calling for the closing of the wet markets in China because of the potential for zoonoses (animal vector diseases). Do you think China should ban those?

Comment

Many are calling for the closing of the wet markets in China because of the potential for zoonoses (animal vector diseases). Do you think China should ban those?
                        Having lived in China for nine years this would a futile effort something like 'Whack a Mole.' tactic.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Having lived in China for nine years this would a futile effort something like 'Whack a Mole.' tactic.
                          I have read that. The wet markets in the US were closed down, the modern food system rendered them less desirable. wild animal consumption was very big in the US (outside of hunting to consume). The old public markets sold chickens next to the plucked chicken carcasses, both live and dressed rabbits.

The Chinese folk medicine which promotes supposed benefits are frequently cited as reasons for the demand, but the recent famines which swept through China also plays a role, survival for some depended on consuming exotic species.

The "yuck" factor comes in, one generation's basic food is the next generation's exotic treat, today chicken feet and gizzards are expensive (and wings used to be eaten because they were cheap); pig's feet cost more than pork loin, tripe is reserved for classic Italian eateries. And possum stew is a line from He Haw, few today have ever eaten the depression era's staple for some; veal is frowned upon where once it was the destination for surplus calves.

As China modernizes, the old ways will fade; though the things like rhino horn and such will still be around as conspicuous consumption.

Comment

(Buffalo's gift to the world).
                            Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Comment

I have read that. The wet markets in the US were closed down, the modern food system rendered them less desirable. wild animal consumption was very big in the US (outside of hunting to consume). The old public markets sold chickens next to the plucked chicken carcasses, both live and dressed rabbits.

The Chinese folk medicine which promotes supposed benefits are frequently cited as reasons for the demand, but the recent famines which swept through China also plays a role, survival for some depended on consuming exotic species.

The "yuck" factor comes in, one generation's basic food is the next generation's exotic treat, today chicken feet and gizzards are expensive (and wings used to be eaten because they were cheap); pig's feet cost more than pork loin, tripe is reserved for classic Italian eateries. And possum stew is a line from He Haw, few today have ever eaten the depression era's staple for some; veal is frowned upon where once it was the destination for surplus calves.

As China modernizes, the old ways will fade; though the things like rhino horn and such will still be around as conspicuous consumption.
                              Typo: i wrote " wild animal consumption was very big in the US" I left out the "not". It was not very big, the wet markets seldom had wild animals, it was farm animals. The rise of the pure foods laws had government inspectors enforcing rules which infuriated many.

Are the auction houses really cleaner than the Chinese wet markets? I suppose so, but then again the video posted here on Tweb about wet markets did not show conditions substantially different from auction houses selling a variety of small animals. Animals are crowded in cages, with cages crowded together mixing cages from any number of sources/farms. The market starts out swept clean with fresh shavings thrown down, then sellers arrive bringing in cages, boxes, wire cages, chickens stacked on top of pullets on top of culled stewing hens, next to rabbit cages next to kits. And when the small animals are sold and gone, the kids and bucks and doe goats are sold, then the pigs, then bob calves.

PETA loves to film those events and post the videos online.

Comment