Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: The Rise of Vegetarianism?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,150
    Amen (Given)
    1
    Amen (Received)
    143

    The Rise of Vegetarianism?

    Is this the end of animal agriculture we are so familiar with? We condemn the wet markets of China, but this nation's animal herd poses a similar public health risk.

    Zoonotic disease is more than just a theoretical problem. We provide economic incentives for this nation's poultry flocks and swine herds, an important protein source.

    A generation ago, we had wet markets in each nation's public markets located in urban areas. One key difference was we did not have wild animals for sale.

    Maybe this will signal the end of the Chicken Mcnugget and Buffalo wing (Buffalo's gift to the world).

  2. #2
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,844
    Amen (Given)
    1791
    Amen (Received)
    1065
    Not the end, but raising Tofu pigs does not risk the spread of the COVID-19
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,150
    Amen (Given)
    1
    Amen (Received)
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Not the end, but raising Tofu pigs does not risk the spread of the COVID-19
    A number of Influenza A type viruses have emerged from the farm animals which pose a health risk. The possibility of novel zoonotic viruses increases with the size of the nation's animal agriculture.

  4. #4
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,802
    Amen (Given)
    5611
    Amen (Received)
    23933
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Is this the end of animal agriculture we are so familiar with? We condemn the wet markets of China, but this nation's animal herd poses a similar public health risk.

    Zoonotic disease is more than just a theoretical problem. We provide economic incentives for this nation's poultry flocks and swine herds, an important protein source.

    A generation ago, we had wet markets in each nation's public markets located in urban areas. One key difference was we did not have wild animals for sale.

    Maybe this will signal the end of the Chicken Mcnugget and Buffalo wing (Buffalo's gift to the world).
    The only way to stop zoonotic disease would be to kill off all of the animals. Seems antithetical to the reason people are vegetarian.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,150
    Amen (Given)
    1
    Amen (Received)
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The only way to stop zoonotic disease would be to kill off all of the animals. Seems antithetical to the reason people are vegetarian.
    If the nation's swine herds and poultry flocks were much smaller, there would be less chance of a serious zoonotic disease emerging which can affect people.

  6. #6
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,802
    Amen (Given)
    5611
    Amen (Received)
    23933
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    If the nation's swine herds and poultry flocks were much smaller, there would be less chance of a serious zoonotic disease emerging which can affect people.
    No it wouldn't. Those aren't major sources of diseases in the first place. But, if you are pushing vegetarianism, you would need to get rid of all of our domestic farm animals. And then exterminate wild animals too, like bats, mosquitoes, birds, and just about all mammals (rabies)

    The last three zoonotic outbreaks all came from China.

  7. #7
    tWebber TheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,865
    Amen (Given)
    1523
    Amen (Received)
    1916
    Well plant based food is becoming more viable. However, I highly doubt that people will stop eating and raising animals entirely.

    Look at sheep for instance. Without people to shear sheep they would overheat and die as a result of just having too much wool.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,150
    Amen (Given)
    1
    Amen (Received)
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    No it wouldn't. Those aren't major sources of diseases in the first place. But, if you are pushing vegetarianism, you would need to get rid of all of our domestic farm animals. And then exterminate wild animals too, like bats, mosquitoes, birds, and just about all mammals (rabies)

    The last three zoonotic outbreaks all came from China.
    Stop and think about it, fewer pigs would mean a smaller chance of a swine flu emerging, few chickens would mean a smaller chance of an avian flu emerging.

  9. #9
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,802
    Amen (Given)
    5611
    Amen (Received)
    23933
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Stop and think about it, fewer pigs would mean a smaller chance of a swine flu emerging, few chickens would mean a smaller chance of an avian flu emerging.
    So we need to eliminate all those chickens and pigs.

    But that wouldn't stop people from getting diseases from wild animals. Birds are everywhere. We need to eliminate them all, right?

  10. #10
    tWebber TheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,865
    Amen (Given)
    1523
    Amen (Received)
    1916
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So we need to eliminate all those chickens and pigs.

    But that wouldn't stop people from getting diseases from wild animals. Birds are everywhere. We need to eliminate them all, right?
    Zika is transmitted by mosquitoes. Lyme disease is transmitted by ticks. Plenty of parasites out there.

    Of course eliminating such creatures would result in ecological disaster.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •