Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kim Jong-un

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That's not a "kiddy game", that is the way that reply functions are designed to work on the Internet. I have no idea why you get hung up over that.
    I get that complaint from several fronts. I frankly have never understood the objection. When someone asks a question or makes a point, I find it clear to place the response close to the question or point to which it relates.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      It is.

I would expect little kids to do this in an online argument with each other, not grown adults having a discussion.

No it's not. You literally have to meticulously break apart the post (usually out of context) and manually click the quote code around it each time. That isn't how it functions, you have to force it that way manually.

Because adults don't talk like that in person, so why should adults discuss things this way in a text post?

Really? When my wife and I went through marriage counseling, an exercise we were asked to do was to use a talking stick, limit anything said to 30 seconds, and stay with one message. Then the other person had to first reflect back what they heard before responding. At first it was cumbersome. Over time we learned to adjust how we spoke to each other to be more in a listening posture and less in a "framing my response while you're talking" posture. So when someone makes multiple points or asks multiple questions in one post, breaking it into the constituent elements and responding to each simply restores the exchange to that structure.

But, as I have said to those who have complained when I do it, there is a simple solution to your problem: if you don't like the practice, don't read the response and don't respond further. The problem will instantly go away!
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        I agree. It gets hard to figure out to which part of someone's post you're referring to if you don't break it up that way. It's asking for misunderstanding to just leave it as one block of text with all your replies to the different parts of their post as one block of text at the bottom.
        I get a kick out of somebody pitching a walleyed hissyfit when you respond to only ONE POINT of the wall of text they spewed forth. It's like..... They're so self-important that they think you have to respond to EVERYTHING they said, or they blow a gasket.

Sometimes, people type WALLS of text, but there's only one thing that struck you as worth engaging.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Really? When my wife and I went through marriage counseling, an exercise we were asked to do was to use a talking stick, limit anything said to 30 seconds, and stay with one message. Then the other person had to first reflect back what they heard before responding. At first it was cumbersome. Over time we learned to adjust how we spoke to each other to be more in a listening posture and less in a "framing my response while you're talking" posture. So when someone makes multiple points or asks multiple questions in one post, breaking it into the constituent elements and responding to each simply restores the exchange to that structure.

But, as I have said to those who have complained when I do it, there is a simple solution to your problem: if you don't like the practice, don't read the response and don't respond further. The problem will instantly go away!
          WHAT problem?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's kinda like the argument that the Jews stole the body of Jesus --- if that were true, all they had to do was parade the body through the streets to show He was dead.

All NK needs to do is show the little fella with the crazy haircut doing something "alive".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              WHAT
              The problem of not liking it when...

problem?
              ...someone breaks up a post and responds to it in pieces.

Comment

The problem of not liking it when...
                Not liking WHAT?

...someone breaks up a post and responds to it in pieces.
                Ya know, I really hate it when you break up my posts like that!

Comment

It's kinda like the argument that the Jews stole the body of Jesus --- if that were true, all they had to do was parade the body through the streets to show He was dead.

All NK needs to do is show the little fella with the crazy haircut doing something "alive".
                  I never understood that argument for exactly that reason.

It makes far more sense that the followers of Jesus of Nazareth did the stealing...

Comment

Not liking WHAT?
                    I am really...

Ya know,
                    ...very...

I really hate it
                    ...very...

when you break
                    ...very...

up my posts
                    ...very...

like that!
                    ...sorry!

Comment

...sorry!
                      Ya shoulda led with that!

Comment

Ya shoulda led with that!
                        I'm a follower. It's a side effect of TDS...

ETA: speaking of following...I think I'm going to follow someone to bed!
                        Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-25-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I never understood that argument for exactly that reason.

It makes far more sense that the followers of Jesus of Nazareth did the stealing...
                          Well, when He started showing up places and crashing their parties, they, too, could have presented the corpus delicti, had they stolen the body, but there would be no need for that, eh?

Comment

Well, when He started showing up places and crashing their parties, they, too, could have presented the corpus delicti, had they stolen the body, but there would be no need for that, eh?
                            Ever seen "Weekend at Bernie's?"

Comment

It's not like we're having informal discussions. It's a debate section essentially. You don't talk over each in formal debates. That's childish. I can sort of see it's function if it's a large block of text, sort of like how you did it (though even that irks the heck out of me if I haven't done it to your post, and my post was just three sentences!). If you're incapable of forming coherent ideas, points, rebuttals into a succinct block of text because you lack literary skill, then I guess you have no choice. But what DO did was just ridiculous. He even pulled my sentences apart.

Comment

It's not like we're having informal discussions. It's a debate section essentially. You don't talk over each in formal debates. That's childish. I can sort of see it's function if it's a large block of text, sort of like how you did it (though even that irks the heck out of me if I haven't done it to your post, and my post was just three sentences!). If you're incapable of forming coherent ideas, points, rebuttals into a succinct block of text because you lack literary skill, then I guess you have no choice. But what DO did was just ridiculous. He even
                                I...

pulled
                                ...would...

my
                                ...never...

sentences
                                ...do...

apart.
                                ...that!

Comment