Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden's #metoo moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    Tara Reade's attorneys are a prominent Republican and a Russian propagandist.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Tara Reade, a former Senate staffer who alleged Joe Biden sexually assaulted her 27 years ago, is being represented by a prominent lawyer and political donor to President Donald Trump’s 2016 Republican campaign.

Attorney Douglas Wigdor told The Associated Press he was not currently being paid for his work with Reade. His firm also denied there was a political motivation for his decision to represent Reade in her accusations against Trump’s presumptive Democratic opponent in the November election.

Over the weekend, another attorney, William Moran, told the AP he was working with Reade.

Moran, who works at a law firm in Columbia, Maryland, previously wrote and edited for Sputnik, a news agency founded and supported by the Russian state-owned media company Rossiya Segodnya. A January 2017 report released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence on Russia’s interference in the 2016 campaign said Sputnik was part of “Russia’s state-run propaganda machine,” which “contributed to the influence campaign by serving as a platform for Kremlin messaging to Russian and international audiences.”

I'm not saying her claims are without merit on the basis of her counsel. But one might wonder, if she had a true and solid case, why she had to work so hard to find attorneys to aide her in taking down a "dementia addled" Biden who "democrats are looking for an excuse to jettison," having to resort to a former Russian propagandist!

ETA: Almost forgot about her recent love affair with Putin. Maybe that *does* explain her choice of lawyer.
    Wigdor's used to defending sexual assault victims against prominent accusers, as per the examples in that article, so he seems like he'd be the kind of person for this job. As for The Russian Connections... So he recently worked as a Russian Propagandist and she was fangirling for Putin. And? Unless the people who bring these things up can sufficiently prove that it's why they're affiliated in this mess, they're just muckraking to incite the ire of the Anti-Russia types.

At the end of the day, if this is just some con game to make Biden drop out, it's kind of overkill. Unless the Democrats can pull a miracle out of their butts, I genuinely think that Trump's going to get a second term.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
      Wigdor's used to defending sexual assault victims against prominent accusers, as per the examples in that article, so he seems like he'd be the kind of person for this job.
      He also spoke in defense of Ms. Ford! Doesn't that throw his entire judgement into question?

As for The Russian Connections... So he recently worked as a Russian Propagandist and she was fangirling for Putin. And? Unless the people who bring these things up can sufficiently prove that it's why they're affiliated in this mess, they're just muckraking to incite the ire of the Anti-Russia types.
      One drop of Russian connection taints the person and everything they do. I haven't forgiven Obama for making light of Mitt Romney's (correct) answer during the debate and I don't see that changing ;).

At the end of the day, if this is just some con game to make Biden drop out, it's kind of overkill. Unless the Democrats can pull a miracle out of their butts, I genuinely think that Trump's going to get a second term.
      Take that up with the RWNJ masses then. That's all they're talking about these days ;).

Comment

• Tara Reade *just remembered* that Biden said "I want to [intercourse] you" during the alleged assault.

Details like that slip my mind *all the time*.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/07/tara-r...leged-assault/

Comment

Tara Reade *just remembered* that Biden said "I want to [intercourse] you" during the alleged assault.

Details like that slip my mind *all the time*.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/07/tara-r...leged-assault/
          Funny how you angrily dismiss the New York Post as being RWNJ when they publish something you don't like but rely on them when it serves your purpose. And the article never said she "*just remembered*" but rather that she mentioned it while providing the "most graphic, detailed account yet."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If you can find me significant voices in the MeToo movement advocating for taking accusations as true unless they can be disproven then I'll happily agree that they don't know what they're talking about.
            Where were you during the whole Kavanaugh fiasco?

Comment

He also spoke in defense of Ms. Ford! Doesn't that throw his entire judgement into question?
              Nope.

One drop of Russian connection taints the person and everything they do. I haven't forgiven Obama for making light of Mitt Romney's (correct) answer during the debate and I don't see that changing ;).
              Good to see Russian xenophobia is still alive and well in the US.

Take that up with the RWNJ masses then. That's all they're talking about these days ;).
              I dunno, you're the fine fellow that seems to be playing the, "I'm TOTALLY not dismissing her with character assassination, but LOOK! She Stole from Charity and is tied to Trump-Supporters and RUSSIANS!" passive-aggressive routine, (ETA) so clearly this has some pertinence to you.

... Oh, and it's (: wink : without the spaces), not ;)
              Last edited by Chaotic Void; 05-08-2020, 10:12 AM.
              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

I dunno, you're the fine fellow that seems to be playing the, "I'm TOTALLY not dismissing her with character assassination, but LOOK! She Stole from Charity and is tied to Trump-Supporters and RUSSIANS!" passive-aggressive routine, (ETA) so clearly this has some pertinence to you.

... Oh, and it's (: wink : without the spaces), not ;)
                I want to give her the level of scrutiny warranted for any claim such as this because I think we should assume *all* such claims are true *to the extent that they warrant a honest and thorough investigation*.

The Russia connection matters. It has nothing to do with xenophobia. It has to do with someone who actively spread propaganda for a country who invaded UKR without pretense, who violates the sovereignty of other countries to conduct assassinations, who have attacked *us* and our elections not even 4 years ago, and who continues to attack us. I personally was affected by this attack in 2016.

I don't hate any country a priori.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Funny how you angrily dismiss the New York Post as being RWNJ when they publish something you don't like but rely on them when it serves your purpose. And the article never said she "*just remembered*" but rather that she mentioned it while providing the "most graphic, detailed account yet."
                  The New York Post is not a very credible newspaper. I trust them to accurately report the words from the interview since that would be hard for even Breitbart to louse up.

The point is that it is hard to imagine that something like *that* would not have come out from the very beginning *and not have been present in her official complaint*. Yet she says the complaint doesn't describe a sexual assault so we know those words aren't in it.

It seems plausible that people might remember incidental details when thinking back on something years later. It does not seem plausible that they would suddenly start remembering central details. I'm not an expert on this but intuitively it seems hard to believe. Haven't you experienced any traumatic incidents? Don't you remember the central details immediately and slowly start filling in the incidental details the more you think about it?

Comment

• Diane Feinstein dismisses Tara Reade's accusations saying, "Where has she been all these years? Why didn't she say something sooner?" When it was pointed out that one could have said the same thing about Christine Fraud, Feinstein essentially says, "But that's totally different!"

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/reagan...ulous-n2568435

As the saying goes, if Democrats didn't have double standards, then they wouldn't have any standards at all.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Diane Feinstein dismisses Tara Reade's accusations saying, "Where has she been all these years? Why didn't she say something sooner?" When it was pointed out that one could have said the same thing about Christine Fraud, Feinstein essentially says, "But that's totally different!"

As the saying goes, if Democrats didn't have double standards, then they wouldn't have any standards at all.
                      I find the other women who admit their hypocrites less abhorrent than ones like her lying about it in order to try and keep their phony moral high ground illusion going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Diane Feinstein dismisses Tara Reade's accusations saying, "Where has she been all these years? Why didn't she say something sooner?" When it was pointed out that one could have said the same thing about Christine Fraud, Feinstein essentially says, "But that's totally different!"

Surely you know that's a dishonest representation of what Feinstein said. It just takes a couple of seconds of skimming the article to see that you left important qualifications out her statements.

Let's walk through why. Why did Ms. Ford write her letter to Feinstein's office?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          I know you can be dishonest at times, and sometimes you're a master at it until you drive me to expose it, but ad hom isn't your strong suit, carp.
                          No - you don't - since I have never been dishonest on this site (or any other, for that matter). But that doesn't stop the usual characters from tossing the accusation around regularly. So...I guess it's not me that's being dishonest...
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Surely you know that's a dishonest representation of what Feinstein said. It just takes a couple of seconds of skimming the article to see that you left important qualifications out her statements.

Let's walk through why. Why did Ms. Ford write her letter to Feinstein's office?
                            Because she naïvely believed that she would remain anonymous? Without that I doubt that she would have proceeded.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Because she naïvely believed that she would remain anonymous? Without that I doubt that she would have proceeded.
                              The correct answer is: She did it because she saw that Kavanaugh was short listed for a SC seat and felt that she had to speak out before he got that position.

Why is Tara Reade speaking out now and not when Biden was VP? And not before Biden became the presumptive nominee?

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                                The correct answer is: She did it because she saw that Kavanaugh was short listed for a SC seat and felt that she had to speak out before he got that position.

Why is Tara Reade speaking out now and not when Biden was VP? And not before Biden became the presumptive nominee?
                                As soon as I acquire the ability to read people's minds, I will be sure to answer your question.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment