Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden's #metoo moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    If you think the MeToo standard means literally "You should unconditionally believe all women accusations of sexual assault" why do you think they didn't include men in their "standard", given that male claims of sexual assault are even harder to get taken seriously? Could it be that the literal interpretation is not the intended meaning?
    I can't believe you have to even ask that question. You come across as pretty smart at times.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I can't believe you have to even ask that question. You come across as pretty smart at times.
      Ok, then maybe I misunderstood you. Can you spell out what the "MeToo standard" is?

Comment

Ok, then maybe I misunderstood you. Can you spell out what the "MeToo standard" is?
        Being that we're all privy to social media, as well as all the stories and controversies about it in the last couple of years, we all know what it is.

Comment

The videos and photos of Biden inappropriately touching women, and the women showing discomfort is a clear pattern of behavior. You can deny that all you want, and I understand it's a necessity to clear your conscience, but even the hypocritical pro-Biden women, like Lisa Bloom, admit this painful reality. If he's willing to do that in front of everyone, including cameras and the freaking parents and husband of the females involved, I can just imagine what he's capable of in private, alone with a female. Well, we know what he's capable of because Reade has described it to us. And Reade is not the only accuser. Biden and Trump BOTH have multiple "he said/she said" accusers, it's just that one of the Biden accusers has actual evidence.
          I have not denied that Biden was "handsy." I have not denied it made women uncomfortable. What I deny is that it amounts to anything more than a 77 year old man needing to be told that times have changed. I see nothing in Biden to make me think any of it was intended to be anything other than his attempt to be "folksy." Nothing I have seen in any video of Biden looks like anything more than a politician "pressing flesh." The right has just extracted multiple events, collapsed them into videos replete with suggestive language, and created a meme to win an election. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. You have an actual mysogynist occupying the White House, who has cheated on three wives, bragged about grabbing women's genitals, been accused by apparently 44 women, has bragged about walking into the dressing rooms of pageants, including the Miss Teen pageant, publicly spoken about his daughter in ways that any self-respecting man should decry - and all you can do is point to a few videos of Biden being too "handsy" and try to turn it into evidence to support an accusation of rape? This is a man who has been, by all available evidence, faithful to two wives, the last of which he's been married to for 43 years.

What on earth has happened to the integrity of Christians? What are you folks thinking? How has "orange man" conned you all so thoroughly? It just boggles the mind...

I certainly hope that it turns out that your beliefs about the afterlife are correct. If they are, you are going to have a lot to answer for. Unfortunately, they probably are not. So you'll go through life maligning good people and supporting bad ones, and then go to your grave and just decompose like the rest of us.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            I have not denied that Biden was "handsy." I have not denied it made women uncomfortable. What I deny is that it amounts to anything more than a 77 year old man needing to be told that times have changed. I see nothing in Biden to make me think any of it was intended to be anything other than his attempt to be "folksy." Nothing I have seen in any video of Biden looks like anything more than a politician "pressing flesh." The right has just extracted multiple events, collapsed them into videos replete with suggestive language, and created a meme to win an election. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. You have an actual mysogynist occupying the White House, who has cheated on three wives, bragged about grabbing women's genitals, been accused by apparently 44 women, has bragged about walking into the dressing rooms of pageants, including the Miss Teen pageant, publicly spoken about his daughter in ways that any self-respecting man should decry - and all you can do is point to a few videos of Biden being too "handsy" and try to turn it into evidence to support an accusation of rape? This is a man who has been, by all available evidence, faithful to two wives, the last of which he's been married to for 43 years.

What on earth has happened to the integrity of Christians? What are you folks thinking? How has "orange man" conned you all so thoroughly? It just boggles the mind...

I certainly hope that it turns out that your beliefs about the afterlife are correct. If they are, you are going to have a lot to answer for. Unfortunately, they probably are not. So you'll go through life maligning good people and supporting bad ones, and then go to your grave and just decompose like the rest of us.
            You keep saying "the right" as if that's a thing, or that's the only group pointing this out about Biden. It's not a thing, bro. Like I said, progressives, moderates, female recipients of Biden's unwanted groping and touching who have openly expressed discomfort, even pro-Biden female supporters, who refuse to relinquish their support, are equating his groping to his character and the likelihood Reade's assault claims are true because of it. The only ones I know denying this reality are you and JimL, and others here to a lesser extent, purely for political reasons. I guess it makes you feel like you win here on tweb or something? But since you've been caught being dishonest before, I consider it just your propensity in how you argue in general. So enjoy.

Comment

Being that we're all privy to social media, as well as all the stories and controversies about it in the last couple of years, we all know what it is.
              The standard *I'm* familiar with says we should shift the assumption so that assume any sexual assault allegation is potentially true and deserves a fair investigation. Is that your understanding as well?

Comment

You keep saying "the right" as if that's a thing, or that's the only group pointing this out about Biden. It's not a thing, bro. Like I said, progressives, moderates, female recipients of Biden's unwanted groping and touching who have openly expressed discomfort, even pro-Biden female supporters, who refuse to relinquish their support, are equating his groping to his character and the likelihood Reade's assault claims are true because of it. The only ones I know denying this reality are you and JimL, and others here to a lesser extent, purely for political reasons. I guess it makes you feel like you win here on tweb or something? But since you've been caught being dishonest before, I consider it just your propensity in how you argue in general. So enjoy.
                As I noted, Sean - I have not denied any reality. I have denied the spin you and others like you put on it. I have no idea how you live with yourselves. I have no idea how you continue to claim allegiance to a religion that values truth and honesty. I have no idea why you and others like you are so rabidly devoted to such a noxious human being. You, and those like you, represent all that is most wrong with this country. And it doesn't seem there is one iota of shame in any of you about any of it.

I'll leave the last word to you. The conversation was pretty much a waste of time from the outset. Trump Sycophant Disorder is a truly pernicious condition.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The standard *I'm* familiar with says we should shift the assumption so that assume any sexual assault allegation is potentially true and deserves a fair investigation. Is that your understanding as well?
                  The standard was to assume women are telling the truth, thus the accused is guilty unless there is evidence proving otherwise. Of course, this is typically difficult if not impossible when the allegation happened decades ago, so in the case of Ford, it was just believe what she's saying is true and Kavanaugh is lying, contrary to any evidence, because it was politically expedient to do so. Now that the accused is Biden, it's become believe Biden and reject Reade's accusation (and they come up with all sorts of justifications, even accusations that she's a thief or a Russian asset to defame her character), in spite of the fact Reade has at least some corroborating evidence that Ford didn't have. Though there are at least some honest hypocrites that do in fact find Reade credible but refuse to give up their support of Biden regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    As I noted, Sean - I have not denied any reality. I have denied the spin you and others like you put on it. I have no idea how you live with yourselves. I have no idea how you continue to claim allegiance to a religion that values truth and honesty. I have no idea why you and others like you are so rabidly devoted to such a noxious human being. You, and those like you, represent all that is most wrong with this country. And it doesn't seem there is one iota of shame in any of you about any of it.

I'll leave the last word to you. The conversation was pretty much a waste of time from the outset. Trump Sycophant Disorder is a truly pernicious condition.
                    I know you can be dishonest at times, and sometimes you're a master at it until you drive me to expose it, but ad hom isn't your strong suit, carp.

Comment

The standard was to assume women are telling the truth, thus the accused is guilty unless there is evidence proving otherwise. Of course, this is typically difficult if not impossible when the allegation happened decades ago, so in the case of Ford, it was just believe what she's saying is true and Kavanaugh is lying, contrary to any evidence, because it was politically expedient to do so. Now that the accused is Biden, it's become believe Biden and reject Reade's accusation (and they come up with all sorts of justifications, even accusations that she's a thief or a Russian asset to defame her character), in spite of the fact Reade has at least some corroborating evidence that Ford didn't have. Though there are at least some honest hypocrites that do in fact find Reade credible but refuse to give up their support of Biden regardless.
                      If you can find me significant voices in the MeToo movement advocating for taking accusations as true unless they can be disproven then I'll happily agree that they don't know what they're talking about.

Comment

If you can find me significant voices in the MeToo movement advocating for taking accusations as true unless they can be disproven then I'll happily agree that they don't know what they're talking about.
                        Okay, let me scour thousands of two year old tweets and dozens of MSM articles for you. No thanks. Maybe rogue can oblige

Comment

• Well well... it seems that court records filed in 1996 show that Reade told her ex-husband about an encounter with Handsy Joe that left her traumatized:

The San Luis Obispo Tribune reported on Thursday that it had obtained a 1996 declaration filed by Theodore Dronen, Reade’s ex-husband, contesting a restraining order she filed against him after he had begun divorce proceedings. Dronen’s filing was in response to claims Reade made about having been a victim of domestic violence and sexual harassment when initially seeking out the order.

At the time Dronen disputed a number of the statements Reade made about their relationship, according to the Tribune, claiming her “traumatic” experiences while working for Biden had colored her “perception and judgment.”

“At the early stages of our dating, [Reade] felt comfortable confiding in me as we both worked for members of Congress,” the declaration reads. “On several occasions [Reade] related a problem that she was having at work, in U.S. Senator Joe Biden’s office.”

“It was obvious that this event had a very traumatic effect on [Reade], and that she is still sensitive and effected [sic] by it today,” the declaration adds.

https://www.breitbart.com/2020-elect...senate-office/
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Okay, let me scour thousands of two year old tweets and dozens of MSM articles for you. No thanks. Maybe rogue can oblige
                            Of course I'm not your parents and won't try to give you homework. I would suggest you consider why you believe that's what MeToo stands for and what voices gave you that impression. It's easy to be led astray by things we read especially if it was a while ago that we read them.

Comment

• In the first ever news article of this controversy to show up in my news feed since this started (as opposed to the crapload that popped up about the Kavanaugh Incident during it's time)... Tara Reade has actually gone into more detail about the alleged incident, and has claimed to have been getting harassed during this whole shindig. Also, it seems like the alleged incident was brought up by her ex-husband during their divorce proceedings back in 1996 as something that had radically affected her.

Sauce (Contains her rather graphic description of the incident. You have been warned): Tara Reade: Biden sex attack accuser urges him to quit race
                              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Tara Reade's attorneys are a prominent Republican and a Russian propagandist.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Tara Reade, a former Senate staffer who alleged Joe Biden sexually assaulted her 27 years ago, is being represented by a prominent lawyer and political donor to President Donald Trump’s 2016 Republican campaign.

Attorney Douglas Wigdor told The Associated Press he was not currently being paid for his work with Reade. His firm also denied there was a political motivation for his decision to represent Reade in her accusations against Trump’s presumptive Democratic opponent in the November election.

Over the weekend, another attorney, William Moran, told the AP he was working with Reade.

Moran, who works at a law firm in Columbia, Maryland, previously wrote and edited for Sputnik, a news agency founded and supported by the Russian state-owned media company Rossiya Segodnya. A January 2017 report released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence on Russia’s interference in the 2016 campaign said Sputnik was part of “Russia’s state-run propaganda machine,” which “contributed to the influence campaign by serving as a platform for Kremlin messaging to Russian and international audiences.”

I'm not saying her claims are without merit on the basis of her counsel. But one might wonder, if she had a true and solid case, why she had to work so hard to find attorneys to aide her in taking down a "dementia addled" Biden who "democrats are looking for an excuse to jettison," having to resort to a former Russian propagandist!

ETA: Almost forgot about her recent love affair with Putin. Maybe that *does* explain her choice of lawyer.
                                Last edited by DivineOb; 05-07-2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment