Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden's #metoo moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    None of Kavenaugh's accusers were credible or had a lick of evidence he even knew them. Yet they were taken seriously. Here we have an actual staffer of Biden's who told her story to several people at the time, and her mother even called into Larry King about it, while Ford didn't tell anyone till decades later and couldn't get anyone to confirm her story or remember anything about the incident.
    Look at, for instance, how CNN and others pushed the bizarre claim that Kavanaugh was part of some sort of gang rape crew with his role being the one who drugged the girls' drinks and how the allegations surrounding Biden have been treated

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      None of Kavenaugh's accusers were credible or had a lick of evidence he even knew them. Yet they were taken seriously. Here we have an actual staffer of Biden's who told her story to several people at the time, and her mother even called into Larry King about it, while Ford didn't tell anyone till decades later and couldn't get anyone to confirm her story or remember anything about the incident.
      Then I advise you to call you Senator and ask them to investigate! The Republicans do still control the Senate (for now).

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        Then I advise you to call you Senator and ask them to investigate! The Republicans do still control the Senate (for now).
        One would think that a truly unbiased media, one that isn't acting as the propaganda wing for a particular party, would be all over a story like this rather than ignoring it or summarily dismissing it as politically motivated.

I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for the #MeToo movement.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          One would think that a truly unbiased media, one that isn't acting as the propaganda wing for a particular party, would be all over a story like this rather than ignoring it or summarily dismissing it as politically motivated.

I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for the #MeToo movement.
          Ok. All the more reason for the Republicans in the Senate to embarrass everyone, right?

Comment

Ok. All the more reason for the Republicans in the Senate to embarrass everyone, right?
            And what can the Senate do?
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
              I've seen some posters on this forum wrongly assume that what happens with these allegations of sexual assault is that a random woman says something happened, and that we then skip to the step where he's forced to resign or she's in the witness stand giving testimony and the innocent man is being unfairly having his named dragged through the mud all over the media.

This fundamentally misses the step where news reporters, police, lawyers, investigators from the parties (if its a political figure) will be combing through the evidence and person's background, and looking at quite a long list of factors that are suggestive as to whether the complaint is serious and meant in earnest versus is just a cry for attention and obviously fake.

When Kavanaugh was being nominated, there were several different women who made claims about him, that were judged by those who researched them as having a variety of different plausibility levels. Some of those women, most of the general public never heard about because the reporters who researched them decided they didn't meet the bar for plausibility so their claims were never widely published. At least one of those women who's story had been judged not worth taking seriously, later retracted it. Only one of the multiple women making claims about him was put on the witness stand, as investigators judged her story to be one worth taking seriously, unlike some of the others.

This same process appears to have happened with Tara Reade, and so far most of the media investigators, lawyers, and apparently now police, are putting it in the not-very-plausible basket. It's getting the same treatment that the not-so-believable women's claims about Kavanaugh got and getting judged lacking and buried by the media rather than taken seriously.

I hope that helps explain why Kavanauagh and Biden aren't necessarily the same, and that it's not (and has never been) just a matter of having a random woman declare someone assaulted her and then everyone automatically agreeing to end the accused man's career because of it?
              Police aren't putting it in "not-very-plausible basket." There's simply nothing they can do because of statue of limitations. Reade already knew this, but did it as a safeguard against getting "suicided," and it was a smart thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                I'm going to elect just to let this hang in the air and demonstrate your ignorance to all.

:slowclap:

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Police aren't putting it in "not-very-plausible basket." There's simply nothing they can do because of statue of limitations. Reade already knew this, but did it as a safeguard against getting "suicided," and it was a smart thing to do.
                  Funny thing is, I even thought about the similarities between those two words when I typed it, but I still misspelled it.

Comment

I'm going to elect just to let this hang in the air and demonstrate your ignorance to all.

:slowclap:
                    Sweety, let’s see:

Is Biden a current member of the Senate?
                    Is Biden currently president?
                    Is he a judge?
                    Is he in a cabinet position?
                    Is he in any government office?

So beyond wagging a finger, can you please explain what the senate can do about it? Can you give an example of the house or senate launching an investigation of a political opponent? Just three examples will help.
                    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-29-2020, 08:33 PM.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries calls for an investigation...

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., said Wednesday that sexual-assault claims against presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden should be taken “seriously” and investigated, as he called on Biden to address the allegations.

When asked about recent developments in the assault accusations leveled by Tara Reade, Jeffries told WNYC: “It’s got to be taken seriously because this is a serious allegation raised by a serious individual and needs to be investigated seriously. We’ve probably got to hear from him [Biden] at some point directly.”

Jeffries made clear he still had to “delve deeper” into the new developments in the allegations, as he had been preoccupied dealing with the COVID-19 response in Brooklyn.

Comment

Better let him know that LPoT says there's nothing Congress can do.

Comment

Sweety, let’s see:

Is Biden a current member of the Senate?
                          Is Biden currently president?
                          Is he a judge?
                          Is he in a cabinet position?
                          Is he in any government office?

So beyond wagging a finger, can you please explain what the senate can do about it? Can you give an example of the house or senate launching an investigation of a political opponent? Just three examples will help.
                          I'm not going to bother digging up three when this one will do just fine. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ne-work-122846

Sen. Mitt Romney will vote in favor of a subpoena seeking records about the work Joe Biden’s son Hunter did for the Ukrainian energy firm Burisma, a spokeswoman for the Utah Republican said on Friday.

Not to mention the Senate could hold whatever hearing they want and ask Tara Reade and her so-called witnesses to show up and spill the beans. Of course, they'd be under oath which is why I'm not holding my breath.
                          Last edited by DivineOb; 04-29-2020, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to bother digging up three when this one will do just fine. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ne-work-122846

Sen. Mitt Romney will vote in favor of a subpoena seeking records about the work Joe Biden’s son Hunter did for the Ukrainian energy firm Burisma, a spokeswoman for the Utah Republican said on Friday.

Not to mention the Senate could hold whatever hearing they want and ask Tara Reade and her so-called witnesses to show up and spill the beans. Of course, they'd be under oath which is why I'm not holding my breath.
                            I asked:

It seems,

“Wag their finger”

Is the answer. So can you please explain what a Senate investigation of Biden, would accomplish?
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              I would agree that perjury is a disqualifier. But when people point to things he supposedly perjured himself about--at least the examples I've seen, anyway--I notice little actual proof of perjury, but a whole lot of speculation (and even the bits of "proof" of contradictions that are tossed out aren't hard to explain).

You mention drinking habits. Could he have been lying about his drinking habits? Sure; anyone can lie about anything. There were some parts of it that seemed unlikely. But that's again speculation; perceived unlikelihood doesn't mean something is false. And even if a stated claim isn't true, something isn't perjury unless someone is deliberately lying rather than just being mistaken.
                              I agree it would be nearly impossible to prove any of the statements as perjury in a court of law. However, a number of the answers have gave seem implausible on their faces, which cause me to lose faith in his ability to provide truthful answers while under oath, and are enough to be to hypothetically oppose his nomination should it be recontested.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I asked:

It seems,

“Wag their finger”

Is the answer. So can you please explain what a Senate investigation of Biden, would accomplish?
                                If the Senate could show her claims to be credible it would preserve McConnell's majority. That's something McConnell would stop at nothing to ensure.

Comment