Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stop spreading garbage online conspiracy theories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Actually, it's not rogue. CNN is a legitimate news outlet. It has its issues with bias - yes. But its news feed is generally a legitimate source of news and information, which of course it can be checked against other legitimate news sources from around the world. There is a difference between that and information that comes from who knows what, or from sources that exists specifically and for little other reason than to promote a specific ideology - such as Breitbart, or Answers in Genesis, or WattsUp.

Getting at how we distinguish sources whose primary goal is information vs ideology can be tricky, I will admit. And I had hoped to find some decent discussion on that very topic in this thread, for absolutely we can't avoid promoting nutcase theories if we don't have a good method of at least reducing the probability that the article that has caught our eye is just nuttery.

A good and general education is one such mechanism. Many times its nuttery because we know enough about the world to know it is nuttery - e.g. Answers in Genesis.

But for a lot of social 'news' and 'nuttery', it is not that simple.
    CNN is a joke. Using them as your source for wanting to stop spreading garbage is like Bernie Madoff telling folks to use him to avoid investment scams.

I mean even as recently as this weekend they are still pushing the terminally rebutted fake news story that Trump said that the Chicom coronavirus was a hoax -- something that such anything but pro-Trump groups like Snopes, Washington Post and AP have noted is totally false months ago.

They are also the ones that spent an evening claiming that the reason that Trump mentioned the possibility that chloroquine might be useful in treating the Chicom coronavirus was because he would personally profit by it because he owns stock in the manufacturer. In reality he owns a small amount of stock in one of the companies that make it (it is an old drug that is no longer patented and anyone could make it if they want) and one analysis noted that even if that stock went up over 50% Trump, who is a billionaire, would stand to make at best a couple of thousand dollars.

That is the sort of "legitimate news outlet" that you are holding up as the standard to meet. A standard so low that only those weekly rags that push stories about someone having Bigfoot's love child will fail to meet it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      CNN is a joke. Using them as your source for wanting to stop spreading garbage is like Bernie Madoff telling folks to use him to avoid investment scams.

Comment

I mean even as recently as this weekend they are still pushing the terminally rebutted fake news story that Trump said that the Chicom coronavirus was a hoax -- something that such anything but pro-Trump groups like Snopes, Washington Post and AP have noted is totally false months ago.

They are also the ones that spent an evening claiming that the reason that Trump mentioned the possibility that chloroquine might be useful in treating the Chicom coronavirus was because he would personally profit by it because he owns stock in the manufacturer. In reality he owns a small amount of stock in one of the companies that make it (it is an old drug that is no longer patented and anyone could make it if they want) and one analysis noted that even if that stock went up over 50% Trump, who is a billionaire, would stand to make at best a couple of thousand dollars.

That is the sort of "legitimate news outlet" that you are holding up as the standard to meet. A standard so low that only those weekly rags that push stories about someone having Bigfoot's love child will fail to meet it.
        Heck, putting Trump aside, they recently screwed up big time when they claimed Elon Musk never delivered ventilators to hospitals in California. Needless to say, Elon didn't take that lying down, even going so far as to produce a partial list of hospitals where he's sent ventilators.

https://californiaglobe.com/section-...hed-hospitals/

I'm still waiting for a retraction from the Crappy News Network.
        Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

That is an extremely biased statement and simply is not true.

It is not 'totally false', otherwise why have so many conservative news outlets that vehemently support Trump devoted so much time to the nuttery that COVID-19 is just a bad flu - if that?

These outlets took that position because Trump was downplaying the severity of it, and claiming that the Democrats playing up its severity was another hoax. The "liberal media hype over its severity is a hoax" and "the virus is a hoax" are in many ways equivalent rogue in terms of how Trump has dragged his feet in response to it, and in terms of how lightly he continues to take it in terms of his overall behavior - e.g. how he is encouraging recovery without supporting sufficient safeguards to avoid another massive runaway exponential growth event.

Who knows why Trump was being a stupid ass and risking peoples lives over a drug that subsequently is turning out to make things worse. That speculation may well be correct, Trump cares more about profits than people - as can be seen by his ordering meat plant workers back to work w/o demanding the plant owner invest in making the work environment safe. It's not nearly as stupid as you think. He's a petty man, the fact it would only offer a (relatively) small profit for him is no reason to think he would not push it to get that stock to go up.

I didn't hold it up as a 'standard to meet'. I just said is was a 'legitimate news outlet'. Legitimate as compared to breitbart, or fox. But perhaps not as good as some others.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

As I noted before:
            Kind of interesting to see what many of those who are screaming that Trump didn't take the Chicom coronavirus seriously enough early on were themselves saying about it earlier this year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44259[/ATTACH]

It is also interesting to note that as late as February 28th the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine published a paper saying that the virus seemed to be much less severe than other recent outbreaks of respiratory illnesses and would likely be no worse than a severe flu season:

Source: Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China

The overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And let's not forget how folks like Pelosi were encouraging folks to gather in large groups in Chinatown well after we realized that might not be such a great idea.
            Attached Files

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              That would be nothing more that a typographical mistake, likely by whatever grunt was keying in the banner line. It was quickly corrected and is not by any means representative of CNN's bias or any sort of indication of any incorrect reporting on their part.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Who knows why Trump was being a stupid ass and risking peoples lives over a drug that subsequently is turning out to make things worse. That speculation may well be correct, Trump cares more about profits than people - as can be seen by his ordering meat plant workers back to work w/o demanding the plant owner invest in making the work environment safe. It's not nearly as stupid as you think. He's a petty man, the fact it would only offer a (relatively) small profit for him is no reason to think he would not push it to get that stock to go up.
                Um...,

Sixty-five percent of physicians across the United States said they would prescribe the anti-malaria drugs chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine to treat or prevent COVID- 19 in a family member, according to a new survey released today by Jackson & Coker, one of the country’s largest physician staffing firms.

Only 11 percent said they would not use the drug at all.

Meanwhile, 30 percent of the surveyed doctors said they would prescribe the medications to a family member prior to the onset of symptoms if they had been exposed to COVID-19, a highly contagious virus that causes a pneumonia-like infection of the lungs.

And

An international poll of thousands of doctors rated the Trump-touted anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine the best treatment for the novel coronavirus.

Of the 6,227 physicians surveyed in 30 countries, 37 percent rated hydroxychloroquine the “most effective therapy” for combating the potentially deadly illness, according to the results released Thursday.

The survey, conducted by the global health care polling company Sermo, also found that 23 percent of medical professionals had prescribed the drug in the US — far less than other countries.

"Outside the US, hydroxychloroquine was equally used for diagnosed patients with mild to severe symptoms whereas in the US it was most commonly used for high risk diagnosed patients,” the survey found.

The medicine was most widely used in Spain, where 72 percent of physicians said they had prescribed it.

Your unhinged, unrelenting hatred colors everything you say.

Comment

Um...,

Sixty-five percent of physicians across the United States said they would prescribe the anti-malaria drugs chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine to treat or prevent COVID- 19 in a family member, according to a new survey released today by Jackson & Coker, one of the country’s largest physician staffing firms.

Meanwhile, 30 percent of the surveyed doctors said they would prescribe the medications to a family member prior to the onset of symptoms if they had been exposed to COVID-19, a highly contagious virus that causes a pneumonia-like infection of the lungs.

And

An international poll of thousands of doctors rated the Trump-touted anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine the best treatment for the novel coronavirus.

Of the 6,227 physicians surveyed in 30 countries, 37 percent rated hydroxychloroquine the “most effective therapy” for combating the potentially deadly illness, according to the results released Thursday.

The survey, conducted by the global health care polling company Sermo, also found that 23 percent of medical professionals had prescribed the drug in the US — far less than other countries.

"Outside the US, hydroxychloroquine was equally used for diagnosed patients with mild to severe symptoms whereas in the US it was most commonly used for high risk diagnosed patients,” the survey found.

The medicine was most widely used in Spain, where 72 percent of physicians said they had prescribed it.

Let's see.... You use an emotional tone... You accuse a fellow Christian of hatred... You cut the post to adress only a tiny part of it and leave out parts where he comments on what you have said about his previous statements...

Sorry, but it does not strike me as a trustworthy approach.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    Let's see.... You use an emotional tone... You accuse a fellow Christian of hatred... You cut the post to adress only a tiny part of it and leave out parts where he comments on what you have said about his previous statements...

Sorry, but it does not strike me as a trustworthy approach.
                    As I said before try your cry bullying on someone who is still dim enough to be impressed with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      As I said before try your cry bullying on someone who is still dim enough to be impressed with it.
                      This did not strengthen your credibility.

Let us see if you can actually adress the points you cut out and do so without using emotional language and personal attacks.

If you don't do so, it says quite a lot as well anyway.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Um...,

And

There is nothing unhinged about my post. All your 'evidence' shows is that desperation can cause people, even doctors, to be motivated by what the science says is a false hope peddled by a man that does not understand or respect knowledge or experience.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...920v1.full.pdf

Source: above

CONCLUSIONS:
                        In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without
                        azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19.
                        An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with
                        hydroxychloroquine alone. These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of
                        ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs.

© Copyright Original Source

There are no words, no hype, no spin, nothing that can negate the fact Donald Trump has been pushing and recommending the use of a medicine with known harmful side effects without the requisite knowledge and testing that such a recommendation should be backed by. And regardless of whether or not future studies show different results, it was reckless and negligent, and to be appalled by it, or to criticize it represents nothing but sound logical thinking. And to be offended by that sound logical thinking and caution represents nothing but a lack willingness to accept an objective evaluation of Trumps actions.

Take note rogue of the fact I've not attacked you directly here - unlike the post I am responding to. What I have done is posted the conclusions of an actual medical study of this mediation and its results in COVID-19 patients, and I have used that study to emphasize the simple fact that it is reckless and dangerous for Trump to have recommended a drug based on anecdotes publicized in sources he prefers.
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-30-2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/2837478001/

CINCINNATI – The CNN has reached a settlement with Nick Sandmann, a northern Kentucky high school student who had sued the news outlet saying it defamed him.

A CNN spokesperson confirmed Tuesday with The Enquirer that a settlement was reached...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44266[/ATTACH]
                          And there's a price to pay for pushing narratives ahead of facts.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/2837478001/

And there's a price to pay for pushing narratives ahead of facts.
                            Do you suppose that one event from cnn makes it the equivalent of sources that do the same thing each day?

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Do you suppose that one event from cnn makes it the equivalent of sources that do the same thing each day?
                              Lawsuits are one indication of how common or egregious they are.

I think they're all pretty bad, and is why I'll reference a second source (when possible) on controversial news stories. But I almost never go to CNN at all for anything anymore. They're too tainted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                                Lawsuits are one indication of how common or egregious they are.

I think they're all pretty bad, and is why I'll reference a second source (when possible) on controversial news stories. But I almost never go to CNN at all for anything anymore. They're too tainted.

How about the apparent lie over Chris Cuomo's 'quarantine'?

He's been several miles away from his house, yet CNN claimed to be showing footage of him just emerging from his basement - giving the (false) impression he'd been there the whole time.

“Here’s the very moment @ChrisCuomo emerged from his basement, where he’s been riding out coronavirus for the last several weeks,” CNN’s Cuomo Prime Time show tweeted ion Monday.
                                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment