Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Indulgences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4. Why doesn't the church alleviate all punishment that it has the power to for all of the sins that people owe temporal punishment for as long as they are repentant of those sins? Why dole it out bit by bit as an "indulgence"?
    'Tis not how it works. You have to do something to prove that you're worthy of being granted amnesty. I know that the Crusaders were granted indulgences, as fighting and potentially dying for the good of all of Christendom tends to be the aforementioned proof of worth.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      It all sounds to me like a way to say "yes, you are forgiven for your sins, but not really. You still have to be punished. But luckily we have the solution to that if you do what we want you to. Isn't that lucky?"
      If I smash your window, and afterward said I was sorry, and you knew I meant it, you wouldn't mind forgiving me I assume. However I'm sure you'd ask me to put up a window again, or at least help you doing it.

Now there's nothing we can do at all, to merit in a strict way a repair for our crimes. However it is a teaching of the Catholic Church that we can have condign merit. In some sense we have to do this for our crimes, since even if the relationship to God is restored, there's still temporal punishment for the crime. I don't see the problem with this, even in terms of God's grace.

And yes isn't it a good thing, that the world being like that, that God would allow the Church to deal out these indulgences based upon the merit of the Church? So that by performing some actions in this world, God joins it with Christ's merit, and allows the person to be partially or fully remitted depending on how earnestly they've worked for it?
      Last edited by Leonhard; 05-29-2014, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Si ergo venie secundum spiritum et mentem Pape predicarentur, facile illa omnia solverentur, immo non essent.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Jeeze, Louise, where are the Lutherans when you need them?

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            Jeeze, Louise, where are the Lutherans when you need them?
            It's happy hour!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It's happy hour!
              Oh, right, thanks for the reminder. This thread will reconvene in 5 minutes while I go down to the local pub to round up some good Lutherans.

Comment

And I promise not to burn any of them at the stake.

Comment

Oh, right, thanks for the reminder. This thread will reconvene in 5 minutes while I go down to the local pub to round up some good Lutherans.
                  I have a Lutheran Pastor friend who LOVES to offer me a cold beer when I visit his office. (And, no, I politely decline)
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I thought Cow Poke 'was' a Lutherean?
                    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                      I thought Cow Poke 'was' a Lutherean?
                      Not quite sure what a Lutherean is, but I'm a Baptist.... or a Bible Church Pastor, depending on the Church.

Comment

No he's an ornery Southern Baptist, unlike me, an honorary Southern Baptist.

Comment

Si ergo venie secundum spiritum et mentem Pape predicarentur, facile illa omnia solverentur, immo non essent.
                          I feel ashamed that I don't know any Latin.....which wouldn't be a problem if my dang school didn't cut the Latin classes. (Though I do know a bit of Syrian, due to the Shrine in my town reciting liturgies in Syrian.)

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Yeah!

Comment

Isn't that a Protestant denomination?

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                                Isn't that a Protestant denomination?
                                That's a whole 'nuther thread.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X