Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tara Reade stole from nonprofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Thank you JimL, for your entertaining about-face on the #metoo movement, proving the saying should be changed to "Believe women... if they are accusing republicans"
    Nope, only a biased mind would take the phrase "believe all women" to mean evidence isn't required. You guys are just too susceptible to the nonsense that reverberates throughout the buble you live in.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]44534[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]44535[/ATTACH]
      well the second one is wrong because Tara Reade is a democrat and they don't believe her.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Nope, only a biased mind would take the phrase "believe all women" to mean evidence isn't required. You guys are just too susceptible to the nonsense that reverberates throughout the buble you live in.
        Well if that is the case, then you, the other liberals on tweb, and all of the democrats in congress trying to get rid of Kavanaugh without a lick of actual evidence, who just believed Ford's word, have "biased minds"

Thanks for admitting it.

Comment

Well if that is the case, then you, the other liberals on tweb, and all of the democrats in congress trying to get rid of Kavanaugh without a lick of actual evidence, who just believed Ford's word, have "biased minds"

Thanks for admitting it.
          Her testimony is evidence. How strong is it? Depends on what the experts say.

Why should I believe that I'm better able to judge the data than people who have made it their life's work?

Comment

Thanks for admitting it.
            You're not recognizing the evidence, doesn't dismiss the evidence. Like I said before, I wouldn't have convicted him in a court of law, but I still believe Ford. One of my reasons for that which I've also said before was the fact that Ford put Mark Judge in the romm with Kavanaugh, and someone making up a story isn't going to put a friend of the alleged perp in the room with them. Regardless, my reasoning as to why Kavanaugh should still not have been confirmed was because of his temperment, his lack of self control under questioning, and not solely because I believed Fords account.

Comment

I thought this horse was already beaten into a pulp?

But since Mountain Man challenges liberals here about our supposed silence about Biden I’ll answer: I believe the women who are currently testifying against Biden, just like I believe the women who testified against Trump and Kavanaugh. I always will unless it is shown beyond reasonable doubt that they were lying.

In all of these cases it is almost impossible to get a court conviction, short of a videotape of the event. It’s a game of who said what, about events multiple years in the past. People’s memories begin to fail on the events.

I also share the concerns both sides have about these things being abused for political machinations, instead of being questions about justice and what is right.

But yes I believe it is a lot more likely than false that Biden did assault those women.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I thought this horse was already beaten into a pulp?

But since Mountain Man challenges liberals here about our supposed silence about Biden I’ll answer: I believe the women who are currently testifying against Biden, just like I believe the women who testified against Trump and Kavanaugh. I always will unless it is shown beyond reasonable doubt that they were lying.

In all of these cases it is almost impossible to get a court conviction, short of a videotape of the event. It’s a game of who said what, about events multiple years in the past. People’s memories begin to fail on the events.

I also share the concerns both sides have about these things being abused for political machinations, instead of being questions about justice and what is right.

But yes I believe it is a lot more likely than false that Biden did assault those women.
                Beyond a reasonable doubt is a really high bar to require. You're saying you'd be ok for the vast majority of false accusations be to believed rather than let a single true accusation be disbelieved?

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                  Beyond a reasonable doubt is a really high bar to require. You're saying you'd be ok for the vast majority of accusations be to believed since most of them are likely true, and few are false?
                  Fixed it for you.

And yes, in terms of public opinion, believe the women unless there are sufficiently good reason to do otherwise. It is much more likely that they are stating the truth than otherwise.
                  Last edited by Leonhard; 05-09-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Fixed it for you.

And yes, in terms of public opinion, believe the women unless there are sufficiently good reason to do otherwise. It is much more likely that they are stating the truth than otherwise.
                    Whether one believes or not is irrelevant, whether you believe or disbelieve doesn't mean a thing with respect to the facts.
                    Last edited by JimL; 05-09-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Fixed it for you.

The phrasing I chose was to mirror your use of "beyond a reasonable doubt." The reason for that standard in criminal law is because "it is better for the many guilty to go free than for a single innocent to be convicted." Thus, requiring "beyond a reasonable doubt" to convince that the accused is innocent prefers to allow many false claims to be believed in order to avoid a single true claim from being disbelieved.
                      Last edited by DivineOb; 05-09-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Here is the story Tara Reade wrote for a Nevada newspaper last year about her experience in the Senate.

http://www.theunion.com/opinions/col...to-the-senate/

The first incident she mentions, is that she was asked to serve drinks. Biden didn't ask her, but a supervisor told her that it was Bidens request. She wasn't concerned with that at all she says, but a female aide allegedly objected and caused a stir, and that, the controversy, is what seemed to ruffle her feathers. Later on she complains that Biden touched her shoulder and ran his finger up her neck. She didn't even think that was of a sexual nature, she thought it was just a gesture of dominance. Then she says things got difficult for her in the office giving no explanation as to why. She felt she was being forced out, again, no explanation as to why, other than to say for legitimate, or not so ligitimate reasons. Then she says she went to a number of Senators and Senate personell for help (for what she doesn't say) and contends that no one would help her. Then she ends with, "so I resigned, or rather I was forced to resign." I was told to find another job! She doesn't say who forced her to resign or why.

Never does she mention the sexual assault, or sexual assault of any kind, or even that she felt Biden was being sexual in any way. Never mentions filing a complaint for sexual harassment. Where was the sexual harassment from Biden? I wonder what were the ligitimate reasons she mentioned there being for her forced resignation? Who told her to find another job? Doesn't seem to match up with the accusation she making now. I don't believe her, the above, what little there is there, needs some corroboration and not one person who was there with her has corroborated any of it.
                        Last edited by JimL; 05-10-2020, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                          The phrasing I chose was to mirror your use of "beyond a reasonable doubt." The reason for that standard in criminal law is because "it is better for the many guilty to go free than for a single innocent to be convicted." Thus, requiring "beyond a reasonable doubt" to convince that the accused is innocent prefers to allow many false claims to be believed in order to avoid a single true claim from being disbelieved.
                          You can play a word quible game if you want. I did not use the term in its legal use. I just meant, that it is more likely that a victim is telling the truth than not. But on this forum and in reality, despite this, the suspicion is mostly on the women and not on the offenders.

Unless good evidence has been rolled out I believe the victim.

That being said I am very uncomfortable with the way what should be a question of truth and justice is hijacked by political forces.

Comment