Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 56 of 56

Thread: What "theory" means in science

  1. #51
    tWebber Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,628
    Amen (Given)
    647
    Amen (Received)
    1460
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    There is a good bit of theory in computer science, ...
    Yup, loads. But not in the sense shunyadragon is using the word.

    Roy
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

    mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

  2. #52
    tWebber Boxing Pythagoras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Faith
    Heathen
    Posts
    2,026
    Amen (Given)
    305
    Amen (Received)
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by sfs1 View Post
    Plenty of theory, but not many theories. That's the distinction I was drawing between theory as mass noun and as count noun.
    I've gotta say, you've made an excellent point in this thread. I'm revising my position on this particular stereotypical-talking-point as a result.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every hidden truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

  3. #53
    radical strawberry
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Humanist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,114
    Amen (Given)
    431
    Amen (Received)
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by sfs1 View Post
    Plenty of theory, but not many theories. That's the distinction I was drawing between theory as mass noun and as count noun.
    You made me look up the difference.

    Remember that a number can not be used to quantify a mass noun. Incorrect: four woods, one rice, three courages.

    Right. So this doesn't make sense:

    Three courages, the courages of bravery, adventure, and recklessness, sent me through the four woods surrounding the kingdom in search of the one rice of replenishment.

    I get it now.

  4. #54
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,186
    Amen (Given)
    1529
    Amen (Received)
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by sfs1 View Post
    You know, I get the feeling that shunyadragon just doesn't like me.
    I am sure for an Irishman like myself you are an upstanding nice fellow, but your argument reeks of nonsense. You would still be thrown out of the pub on your bum for such nonsense.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  5. #55
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    107
    Amen (Given)
    1
    Amen (Received)
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I am sure for an Irishman like myself you are an upstanding nice fellow, but your argument reeks of nonsense. You would still be thrown out of the pub on your bum for such nonsense.
    'Tis pity the scientific community hasn't figured out how full of nonsense I am about science.

  6. #56
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,186
    Amen (Given)
    1529
    Amen (Received)
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by sfs1 View Post
    'Tis pity the scientific community hasn't figured out how full of nonsense I am about science.
    I would like to see a good sensible thread that discusses what, why and how science uses the concept of theory. Lao Tzu has described some of the ways this is done and I would like to see more including the implications and how the results we have today are impacted. What are the alternatives?
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •