Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Adding RAM to old Dell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    I see your bid and I raise:

I have a working computer that runs off a 10mb HD. It still boots!

The thing is about 30 pounds :)
    You win. But I used to build clones in the old days when the standard IBM PC was about $2,000 with ONE FLOPPY DRIVE. I'd buy all the components, and build it to suit, for about $450 and sell it for $800 or so.

Then that rotten blanketyblank DELL kid came along, and spoiled it for ALL of us!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You win. But I used to build clones in the old days when the standard IBM PC was about $2,000 with ONE FLOPPY DRIVE. I'd buy all the components, and build it to suit, for about $450 and sell it for $800 or so.

Then that rotten blanketyblank DELL kid came along, and spoiled it for ALL of us!
      I've been a software dev for 20 years now, and it all started back when I began tinkering around with PC hardware. It was easier to make your own repairs/upgrades back then, not to mention tweaking your Windows PC on a low-level (.reg hacks, .ini file changes, boot options, dip switches, etc).

I suppose the same thing has happened with cars, too. As the technology gets more complex, stuff under the hood gets hidden/obscured ...

ps. I remember a friend and I talked about doing what you describe. I don't know why we didn't...
      Last edited by Whateverman; 06-04-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        I've been a software dev for 20 years now, and it all started back when I began tinkering around with PC hardware. It was easier to make your own repairs/upgrades back then, not to mention tweaking your Windows PC on a low-level (.reg hacks, .ini file changes, boot options, dip switches, etc).

I suppose the same thing has happened with cars, too. As the technology gets more complex, stuff under the hood gets hidden/obscured ...

ps. I remember a friend and I talked about doing what you describe. I don't know why we didn't...
        The build your own clone thing was very lucrative for a while, until (as I said) Dell came along with the mass-produce thing, but ALSO, when Windows became more popular, there was the licensing issue.

It was always easy to get a copy of DOS, or a FREE copy of DR DOS (which I really enjoyed because it had so many extra features), but when you added the cost of Windows to the machine, it became pretty much impossible to beat Dell and other mass producers.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment