Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding RAM to old Dell

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I don't know that I'll ever do this again. I used to do this sort of thing all the time, but my eyesight has really deteriorated. And a Small Form Factor box is pretty crowded.
    Over the last 25 years or so that I've been playing with hardware, RAM has exploded in complexity; tiny details matter a lot.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    Over the last 25 years or so that I've been playing with hardware, RAM has exploded in complexity; tiny details matter a lot.
    Yeah, it used to just be about physical fit and parity or non-parity.

And I remember the first time I added memory to a computer to make it a TOTAL of 1,024K instead of 640K, then needed a memory manager to access that memory above 640.

DR DOS did that just fine - I could push all my Terminate Stay Resident programs into "upper memory", including network drivers, and STILL have nearly 640K free.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, it used to just be about physical fit and parity or non-parity.

And I remember the first time I added memory to a computer to make it a TOTAL of 1,024K instead of 640K, then needed a memory manager to access that memory above 640.

DR DOS did that just fine - I could push all my Terminate Stay Resident programs into "upper memory", including network drivers, and STILL have nearly 640K free.
    From this, I can safely guess that you're between 5-15 years older than I am

It's funny how easily discussion of computer technology (hardware AND software) suggests a specific period in history. The tech evolves so fast that I'll bet the stuff you and I had to deal with will be forgotten by humanity in the next decade...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From this, I can safely guess that you're between 5-15 years older than I am

It's funny how easily discussion of computer technology (hardware AND software) suggests a specific period in history. The tech evolves so fast that I'll bet the stuff you and I had to deal with will be forgotten by humanity in the next decade...
    As I often mention, I still have my FULL HEIGHT 10 MEGABYTE hard drive that weights a ton. AND, some 8" floppy disks.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As I often mention, I still have my FULL HEIGHT 10 MEGABYTE hard drive that weights a ton. AND, some 8" floppy disks.
    I see your bid and I raise:

I have a working computer that runs off a 10mb HD. It still boots!

The thing is about 30 pounds :)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I see your bid and I raise:

I have a working computer that runs off a 10mb HD. It still boots!

The thing is about 30 pounds :)
    You win. But I used to build clones in the old days when the standard IBM PC was about $2,000 with ONE FLOPPY DRIVE. I'd buy all the components, and build it to suit, for about $450 and sell it for $800 or so.

Then that rotten blanketyblank DELL kid came along, and spoiled it for ALL of us!

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You win. But I used to build clones in the old days when the standard IBM PC was about $2,000 with ONE FLOPPY DRIVE. I'd buy all the components, and build it to suit, for about $450 and sell it for $800 or so.

Then that rotten blanketyblank DELL kid came along, and spoiled it for ALL of us!
    I've been a software dev for 20 years now, and it all started back when I began tinkering around with PC hardware. It was easier to make your own repairs/upgrades back then, not to mention tweaking your Windows PC on a low-level (.reg hacks, .ini file changes, boot options, dip switches, etc).

I suppose the same thing has happened with cars, too. As the technology gets more complex, stuff under the hood gets hidden/obscured ...

ps. I remember a friend and I talked about doing what you describe. I don't know why we didn't...
    Last edited by Whateverman; 06-04-2020 at 05:09 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've been a software dev for 20 years now, and it all started back when I began tinkering around with PC hardware. It was easier to make your own repairs/upgrades back then, not to mention tweaking your Windows PC on a low-level (.reg hacks, .ini file changes, boot options, dip switches, etc).

I suppose the same thing has happened with cars, too. As the technology gets more complex, stuff under the hood gets hidden/obscured ...

ps. I remember a friend and I talked about doing what you describe. I don't know why we didn't...
    The build your own clone thing was very lucrative for a while, until (as I said) Dell came along with the mass-produce thing, but ALSO, when Windows became more popular, there was the licensing issue.

It was always easy to get a copy of DOS, or a FREE copy of DR DOS (which I really enjoyed because it had so many extra features), but when you added the cost of Windows to the machine, it became pretty much impossible to beat Dell and other mass producers.