Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Shelley Luther: My New Hero...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    There's a difference between defying (probably) unconstitutional laws and defying legal ones.
    Shouldn't we let the courts make that determination?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Shouldn't we let the courts make that determination?
    Difficult to answer. Americans have frequently relied on Civil Disobedience to bring the issue up.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

3. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So I have a question. If you all think this woman is a hero for defying a law to feed her family, do you extend the same grace to people who break immigration laws to make a better life for their families?
    Good question. My first thought is that somebody who is an otherwise law-abiding US citizen exercising civil disobedience to a "new law" is protected by due process of the US constitution -- somebody who is entering the country illegally, violating a long established law as their very first act, is a little more clear.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

5. Amen RumTumTugger, seanD amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So I have a question. If you all think this woman is a hero for defying a law to feed her family, do you extend the same grace to people who break immigration laws to make a better life for their families?
    How would you feel about someone going around breaking into houses to steal things from other people and claims it is to make a better life for his family?