Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Betting Odds - 2020 U.S. President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betting Odds - 2020 U.S. President

Betting Odds - 2020 U.S. President

This is interesting.

In the same "results box" that shows polling favoring Biden by 4+ points, the betting goes to Trump.

betting odds.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

The "smart money" thinks that when Biden eventually reemerges and is back out in public again folks will essentially respond "Oh. Yeah... that's right."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The thing is, unless he dies or something, we know Trump will get the nomination. We don't know for sure yet that Biden will. There's therefore reason to be cautious when voting for Biden because, while it's unlikely he won't get the nomination, it's more plausible that happens than Trump not getting it.

Looking at the linked site, it gives 50.4 Trump and 41.4 Biden. That leaves 8.2 unaccounted for. That 8.2 is mostly made up of people like Hillary Clinton, Andrew Cuomo, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, etc. All long shots, of course, but the uncertainty of Biden getting the nomination--at least compared to Trump--does incentivize someone to try their luck at the lower odds in hopes of scoring it big if the extremely unlikely happens.

If Biden officially scores the nomination then I expect we'll see a jump for him in regards to betting.

Comment

Trump is predictable; everyone knows what he is about and what he will do next.

Biden is not. There is an assault allegation, there are questions about his mental faculties, there is a question about his running mate (suppose he chooses Hillary and she agrees! Yikes!).

There are a lot of intangibles in Biden's corner to make Trump a better bet.

Comment

I think Terraceth's point primarily explains the difference in the betting line. On a personal level, I would be very surprised if Trump loses, but this is just intuition.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

With everybody badmouthing Trump's "handling of the virus crisis", I'm kinda surprised that his share of the betting is actually going UP from the middle of March.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is there some dark magic that makes betting odds particularly reliable?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Even if the Democrats fielded an attractive candidate, Trump would still be favored because historically that's the case for the second period. Beyond that I put no stock in the polls after 2016 happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Not dark magic at all - but a case of "put your money where your mouth is".

Kiplinger: Gamblers Are Surprisingly Accurate at Picking the Next President

ETA: I will quickly point out that the article indicated that Hillary was the odds on favorite.
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-09-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Not dark magic at all - but a case of "put your money where your mouth is".

Kiplinger: Gamblers Are Surprisingly Accurate at Picking the Next President

ETA: I will quickly point out that the article indicated that Hillary was the odds on favorite.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      Even if the Democrats fielded an attractive candidate, Trump would still be favored because historically that's the case for the second period. Beyond that I put no stock in the polls after 2016 happened.
                      After 2016, I decided polling happens in such a way as to underrepresent Trumps support. I don't know if they ask the wrong people or people don't admit they're going to vote for him. I usually add about 5% to Trump's side when I look at polling results.

Of course, this isn't 2016 so that idea could now be out of date.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        After 2016, I decided polling happens in such a way as to underrepresent Trumps support. I don't know if they ask the wrong people or people don't admit they're going to vote for him. I usually add about 5% to Trump's side when I look at polling results.

I think a lot of conservatives don't trust the pollsters, because there is so much talk about "push polling" -- so many conservatives don't answer the pollsters' questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I think a lot of conservatives don't trust the pollsters, because there is so much talk about "push polling" -- so many conservatives don't answer the pollsters' questions.
                          Usually the same folks associated with the polls (ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, WaPo, NYT...) are the same folks telling us how horrible Trump is so it is only natural for people to not tell such organizations that they support what these groups so obviously loathe.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            They're mostly a good gauge as to what people think will happen, given that they're putting down actual money for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Actually the final tally of the votes matches the polls, unfortunately we have an electoral college that determines the winner not the voters.

Comment