Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopper in KKK hood won't face charges...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Shopper in KKK hood won't face charges...

What could they charge him with in the first place? Even if he was a racist - that is not illegal...

The customer who shopped at a grocery store while wearing a face covering that resembled a Ku Klux Klan hood will not face charges, police announced Monday.

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said in a press release that the department did not find sufficient evidence to charge the man who wore the apparent KKK hood to a Vons supermarket in Santee, Calif., on May 2. The U.S. attorney’s office and the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office were consulted in the decision.

“The man expressed frustration with the coronavirus and having people tell him what he can and cannot do,” the release said. “He said that wearing the hood was not intended to be a racial statement. In summary he said, ‘It was a mask and it was stupid.’”

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...t-face-charges
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    What could they charge him with in the first place? Even if he was a racist - that is not illegal...
    Depends:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-mask_law

I like the comment at the end. Nothing really changes.

Source: above

There are anti-mask laws in many U.S. states and the District of Columbia.[1]

New York State's anti-mask law was enacted in 1845, to provide for public safety after disputes between landlords and tenants.[2]
    Many anti-mask laws date back to the mid-20th century, when states and municipalities passed them to stop the violent activities of the Ku Klux Klan, whose members typically wore hoods of white linen to conceal their identities.[3][4]
    In the 21st century those laws have been applied to political protesters such as those affiliated with the Occupy Movement or Anonymous – wearing Guy Fawkes masks.[5][6][7][8]
    In some areas motorcyclists have been arrested using anti-masking laws.[9]
    These laws have been challenged on the grounds that they violate the guarantees of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution to free speech and free association. Some courts have weighed freedom of speech against the public safety interest, and upheld such laws. For example, the Georgia Supreme Court found the law constitutional on the grounds that the wearing of the mask was an act of intimidation and a threat of violence, which is not protected speech.[10] That law has exceptions for holiday celebrations, theatre performances, and occupational safety; the ruling makes it unclear if someone is violating the law if they wear a mask without the intent to threaten violence. A three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld a New York law on the ground that wearing a Ku Klux Klan mask did not convey a protected message beyond that conveyed by wearing a hood and robe.[2] Other courts have struck down anti-mask laws. For example, Tennessee and Florida state laws have been invalidated on the grounds that they were unconstitutionally broad.[10] An ordinance in Goshen, Indiana, was struck down based on First Amendment doctrine that specifically protects anonymous speech and anonymous association, especially for unpopular groups like the KKK.[2]

During the 1918 influenza pandemic in San Francisco, California, a group of citizens that included doctors and several city supervisors formed an "Anti-Mask League" after becoming frustrated with mandated mask-wearing.[11]

© Copyright Original Source

He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A lot of jurisdictions have suspended their anti-mask laws during the pandemic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    All anti-mask laws should be struck down as unconstitutional.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

5. Amen Boxing Pythagoras amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    A lot of jurisdictions have suspended their anti-mask laws during the pandemic.
    This is why our banks have an "appointment only" policy right now. You can't just walk in wearing a mask.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Depends:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-mask_law

I like the comment at the end. Nothing really changes.

Source: above

There are anti-mask laws in many U.S. states and the District of Columbia.[1]

New York State's anti-mask law was enacted in 1845, to provide for public safety after disputes between landlords and tenants.[2]
    Many anti-mask laws date back to the mid-20th century, when states and municipalities passed them to stop the violent activities of the Ku Klux Klan, whose members typically wore hoods of white linen to conceal their identities.[3][4]
    In the 21st century those laws have been applied to political protesters such as those affiliated with the Occupy Movement or Anonymous – wearing Guy Fawkes masks.[5][6][7][8]
    In some areas motorcyclists have been arrested using anti-masking laws.[9]
    These laws have been challenged on the grounds that they violate the guarantees of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution to free speech and free association. Some courts have weighed freedom of speech against the public safety interest, and upheld such laws. For example, the Georgia Supreme Court found the law constitutional on the grounds that the wearing of the mask was an act of intimidation and a threat of violence, which is not protected speech.[10] That law has exceptions for holiday celebrations, theatre performances, and occupational safety; the ruling makes it unclear if someone is violating the law if they wear a mask without the intent to threaten violence. A three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld a New York law on the ground that wearing a Ku Klux Klan mask did not convey a protected message beyond that conveyed by wearing a hood and robe.[2] Other courts have struck down anti-mask laws. For example, Tennessee and Florida state laws have been invalidated on the grounds that they were unconstitutionally broad.[10] An ordinance in Goshen, Indiana, was struck down based on First Amendment doctrine that specifically protects anonymous speech and anonymous association, especially for unpopular groups like the KKK.[2]

During the 1918 influenza pandemic in San Francisco, California, a group of citizens that included doctors and several city supervisors formed an "Anti-Mask League" after becoming frustrated with mandated mask-wearing.[11]

© Copyright Original Source

But then if they charged this guy under such a law, they would have to charge everyone else wearing a mask too.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Would they have even dreamed of trying to charge someone for wearing a "Black Lives Matter" mask?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Would they have even dreamed of trying to charge someone for wearing a "Black Lives Matter" mask?
    Yowza
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I fail to see why a racist like that should be arrested. I’d just take a picture of him taking off the hood and mail it to his employer.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I fail to see why a racist like that should be arrested. I’d just take a picture of him taking off the hood and mail it to his employer.
    It's a strange thing, this freedom of ours. When I was police, I had to protect the local KKK group during a parade, and that was back in the early 70's.

AND, I might add, I was personally yelled at and verbally assaulted because "how can you protect these @!#!!^%!#@$! low life...."