Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the 'annointed one'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    If this was not about Trump you would not have posted it. I am quite sure of that.[...]
    If you did not allow yourself to live in that convenient "interpretation" then perhaps you would have been able to talk about his points and not his person. You might even have been able to share his concerns.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

If this was not about Trump you would not have posted it. I am quite sure of that.
      impossible to know, but irrelavent since the Christian community has attached the label to Trump above all others - and that is the point of the discussion.

So, you don't read what you post. Since I quoted you only a moment or so after you posted and you apparently forgot, or something.

However, I will acquiesce and not call you Jim anymore.
      I doesn't mean I don't read my own posts Mossy. I means that to be accurate in my response, I had to make sure JimL had not posted something similar and I found myself then being hit on the head by your rolling pin because you were not talking to me in the first place.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Paula White is one person that actually tried to make that connection...
        And you believe this Paula White, whoever she is, speaks for the "Christian Community", whoever that is?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Who exactly is "the Christian Community" you refer to? Assuming this "community" actually used the phrase "God's Anointed" to refer to the President, what is the context, and what do they actually mean by it?

Let's start there.
          I can see why you would wish to go some steps back and avoid having to confront the points made by doing so.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            You were the one that brought up comparisons to "the Obamessiah" in your O.P.

But I've made my point. Any comparison is laughable. Nothing has ever approached the reverence and veneration afforded Obama while he was president.
            Among Christians? Is that your claim? Interesting.... Because that is the context he was pointing to.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
              I can see why you would wish to go some steps back and avoid having to confront the points made by doing so.
              Feel free to answer the questions yourself if you think ox is incapable.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                If you did not allow yourself to live in that convenient "interpretation" then perhaps you would have been able to talk about his points and not his person. You might even have been able to share his concerns.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

impossible to know, but irrelavent since the Christian community has attached the label to Trump above all others - and that is the point of the discussion.

I doesn't mean I don't read my own posts Mossy. I means that to be accurate in my response, I had to make sure JimL had not posted something similar and I found myself then being hit on the head by your rolling pin because you were not talking to me in the first place.
                  Sure, ox. I bet.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Feel free to answer the questions yourself if you think ox is incapable.
                    That was another attempt to go some steps back in order to avoid the points made. And while I cannot force you to do so I can make it painfully obvious that you and other "Christians" are not even a tiny bit concerned about the damage done to the witness of the Church. There is not much but personal attacks on Ox and whataboutism in this thread and then some strategic noise from you which never, ever would be about anything but dodging the points made if the are damaging to the uninion between Church and Trump.

Comment

Which allows me to repeat the point since you did not adress it:

Comment

That was another attempt to go some steps back in order to avoid the points made. And while I cannot force you to do so I can make it painfully obvious that you and other "Christians" are not even a tiny bit concerned about the damage done to the witness of the Church. There is not much but personal attacks on Ox and whataboutism in this thread and then some strategic noise from you which never, ever would be about anything but dodging the points made if the are damaging to the uninion between Church and Trump.
                        Charles. Nanny dear. In case you didn't notice, oxmixmudd his very own self brought up Obama and those who referred to him in messianic terms. He has no one to blame but himself. But, as usual, you are following so closely behind him that you can't see anything past his rear end.

Honestly, it scares me how much oxmixmudd and the atheists on this site agree with each other.

Comment

Charles. Nanny dear. In case you didn't notice, oxmixmudd his very own self brought up Obama and those who referred to him in messianic terms. He has no one to blame but himself. But, as usual, you are following so closely behind him that you can't see anything past his rear end.

Honestly, it scares me how much oxmixmudd and the atheists on this site agree with each other.
                          That is, no surprise, yet another post in which you once again fails to adress the points made in the opening post but goes on to talk about something else. Let's see if you actually are ever able to go for anything but of topic points, ad homs and whataboutism. Is that really the salt of the earth? Not concerned about how the church sees a liar as annointed but goes right on to take that focus away because something else is seemingly more imporatant than the well being of the church?

Advice: Read the opening post comment on what it says.

Comment

This is from a Fox News article: https://www.foxnews.com/us/trump-202...ity-church-god

As I have mentioned in the past and been railed for it, one very, very bizarre current cultural trend is for many Christians (Evangelicals especially) to view Donald Trump as somehow 'annointed of God' (for those of you not familiar with that vernacular, in a somewhat simplistic summary, King David was 'annointed' by the prophet Samuel to be King, as was King Saul. The idea is that this person is specially selected by God himself to do His will in the world in a particular thing and as such occupies a very special place in the world and in God's eyes).

I see this as very troubling for several reasons. Not the least of which is Trump's lawlessness, his complete disrespect for the sorts of moral boundary that could be reconciled with the Bible or Christian tradition (or the moral traditions of the nation as a whole), and the tendency for the acceptance of such a proclamation to produce a willingness on the part of those holding this view to excuse or overlook extremely dangerous behavior on the part of Trump or his administration. Trump becomes a man who has God behind what he does, and thus to be against Trump is then to be against God Himself. And another danger exists in that Trump, narcissist and self-idolizing man that he is, KNOWS this is how many of his followers and supporters view him. The potential for abuse is staggering.

Source: above

In a "Religion in Public" blog post on Monday titled "Trump The Anointed?" Ryan Burge, assistant professor of political science and graduate coordinator at Eastern Illinois University, and Paul Djupe, an associate professor of political science at Denison University in Ohio, called it a "phenomenon that is sweeping American religion."

"We were quite surprised by the result that 49 percent of those frequently attending worship services believed that Trump was anointed by God to be president," Bruge and Djupe told Fox News in an email. "At least until we examined the evidence that suggested religious and secular elites continue to claim that Trump has a religiously significant role to play."

They added, "Mainly limited to Republicans, we find dramatic increases in belief in Trump’s anointment when their faith is linked to politics. As threats become larger, both real and imagined, the religious significance of the presidency appears to be growing among a wide portion of the population."

Djupe, an affiliated scholar with Public Religion Research Institute, tweeted about the results compared to a similar survey of white Protestants last year. "There's a big increase in believing Trump is anointed."

© Copyright Original Source

I can't imagine a more dangerous person in American Politics to be assigned the term "God's Annointed" by a large number of the nation's Christian population.

And it makes the outcries related to Obamessiah deeply hypocritical. Indeed, whereas such statements about Obama were at best hyperbolic, these claims are as real as they can be to those making them. Those who hold such views believe deeply in the reality of God and thus believing Trump is "God's Annointed" Gives Trump almost unlimited leeway in their eyes. As mentioned above, they will also tend to as a consequence see anyone speaking against what Trump is doing or has done as in effect "Fighting against God", with all the potential for bad outcomes such beliefs can foster.

49 percent of regular churchgoers.
                            Let's be a little careful about reconciling to the Bible. Any thoughtful Christian will tell it is hard to reconcile King David being an adulterer and at minimum guilty of conspiracy to commit murder with the fact God calls him a man after God's own heart. So God seems to recognize He is working with imperfect people to accomplish His will on the earth.

Now does that excuse Trump's followers? Probably not. There should be more reproving of Trump's behavior than there is. Certainly a less worshipful attitude towards Trump. It's possible some are guilty of idolatry. On the other hand, where would they get the policy results they are getting if Trump wasn't president? Certainly not the Democratic party. Probably not the Republican party. I think privately Christians would tell you President George W. Bush was a major disappointment to them.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                              The term "Church" covers a LOT of people, and we don't walk in lockstep, which is why I was curious about specifics, which it seems ox, and you as his proxy, are unable or unwilling to provide. ox insists that Romans 13 doesn't apply, but he has fallen far short of proving this assertion.

Comment

That is, no surprise, yet another post in which you once again fails to adress the points made in the opening post but goes on to talk about something else. Let's see if you actually are ever able to go for anything but of topic points, ad homs and whataboutism. Is that really the salt of the earth? Not concerned about how the church sees a liar as annointed but goes right on to take that focus away because something else is seemingly more imporatant than the well being of the church?

Advice: Read the opening post comment on what it says.
                                Do you really think I think you care about the well being of the church? You are just, once again, hopping on oxmixmudd's bandwagon against Trump.

Listen, I don't care about Trump. He is, really, not my President. I do care about the fact that he has Paula White as his spiritual advisor, which tells me everything I need to know about the state of his belief or unbelief. And if 49% of "Christians" are among those who follow the WoF movement of which Paula White is a part, then no doubt that many "Christians" are saying the things that oxmixmudd posted about in the op.

But there are a lot of Christians who think Paula White and her ilk are heretical false teachers who will not put the same spin on "anointed of God" that oxmixmudd is saying is the topic of this thread.

So he, and you, are lumping a large number of believers in that same pot, and it simply isn't true.

Stop being a nanny, Charles. It's most unbecoming of you.

Comment