Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I think the part you cut bears repeating:
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think you're aware that "the state" often goes for the jugular in hopes of getting a plea deal and avoiding trial. This being a very racially charged issue, though, that probably won't track.
      In cases like this there is also pressure to over charge in order to placate the mob.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        In cases like this there is also pressure to over charge in order to placate the mob.
        While focusing on possible guilt on the side of the victim, who is now dead, of course has nothing to do with "the mob". Nothing at all, of course not, how dare I even think along those lines....?
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          That's always a danger, and it was on parade here locally when a judge declared that he "had to make an example" of a convicted cop and gave him the max sentence PLUS, because Quanell X had been here with the media to focus attention on this case.

The accused most CERTAINLY abused his power, and should have lost his job and TCOLE license, but the judge went WAY beyond that. I'll never forget how his hands shook as he read his sentencing statement, because he knew FULL WELL he was screwing up, and has never been able to look me in the eye since.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
            While focusing on possible guilt on the side of the victim, who is now dead, of course has nothing to do with "the mob". Nothing at all, of course not, how dare I even think along those lines....?
            Good to see you Charles.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/s...-week-later%2F

Here is another isolated, regional incident. The difference is this one doesn't advance a narrative for the Left, so it is mostly ignored.

For some reason, this punk was beating elderly patients in a Michigan nursing home. This particular victim is a veteran. The punk also beat an elderly woman - filming both incidents himself.
              Last edited by Ronson; 05-23-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/s...-week-later%2F

Here is another isolated, regional incident. The difference is this one doesn't advance a narrative for the Left, so it is mostly ignored.

For some reason, this punk was beating elderly patients in a Michigan nursing home. This particular victim is a veteran. The punk also beat an elderly woman - filming both incidents himself.
                So, this is bad. But the idea that it was 'ignored' in deference to what happened to avery needs substance, not whispers from conspiracy minded Twitter posters. On any given day, a lot of evil happens, I'm sure on any given day, more evil happens than can be reported, and there are a lot of factors that go into determining what we see on national news. I choose not go down the 'it's a big bad conspiracy' road without solid evidence, and a Twitter post ain't it.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

So, this is bad. But the idea that it was 'ignored' in deference to what happened to avery needs substance, not whispers from conspiracy minded Twitter posters. On any given day, a lot of evil happens, I'm sure on any given day, more evil happens than can be reported, and there are a lot of factors that go into determining what we see on national news. I choose not go down the 'it's a big bad conspiracy' road without solid evidence, and a Twitter post ain't it.
                  There is no conspiracy. I think it's human nature to zero in on what is important to us personally and ignore the rest. Likely it is subconscious.

The media leans left so the Avery story is important to them. It fits their worldview. They're getting a ton of mileage out of it, where the nursing home story doesn't fit for them.

What you say above (bold) is my take on both of these isolated, local race stories. But I might theorize that Jaydon Hayden (the punk at the nursing home) could have gotten all fired up with rage after being pummeled by the Georgia story every day.

Just a thought.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/s...-week-later%2F

So is your point that the story should have been ignored? This story was pretty much ignored as well, for months, until the corruption in the justice system came to light. We're discussing it now, but when did it take place, somewhere back in February I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      So is your point that the story should have been ignored? This story was pretty much ignored as well, for months, until the corruption in the justice system came to light. We're discussing it now, but when did it take place, somewhere back in February I believe.
                      Not ignored, but not overhyped either. It is quite possible this punk got fired up after the constant barrage of Arbery stories in the news.

Comment

Not ignored, but not overhyped either. It is quite possible this punk got fired up after the constant barrage of Arbery stories in the news.
                        Not the point, Ronson. This story wasn't what you call hyped either. It wasn't in the national news, none of us heard about it when it happen back in February. It only went national after the corruption in the case was exposed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          This is interesting:

Under Georgia law, a person can be charged with felony murder for committing any felony that causes the death of someone else. It does not require intent to kill and carries an automatic life sentence.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2020...d-with-murder/

The question remains: Did the McMichaels commit a felony in their attempts to apprehend Arbery? I have yet to see a definitive answer.
                          You kind of answered your own question there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                            You kind of answered your own question there.

Comment

• I'm going to enter this not as a reply, so as not to single out a person or persons here. But the question was raised, why the Arbery case, why not this other case where something bad happened where a young black man abused eldery white people. And so I want to deal with that as a general example of that needs addressing, not as a response to that specific instance.

There are two elements of this I want to address. One is the underlying paranoia that says this other case was ignored because it did not fit a left wing 'agenda'. I can not emphasize enough how destructive this underlying paranoia is to our nation right now. We are a nation divided, and nations(?) external to our own with an interest in dividing us are feeding that paranoia and many others like it. Is this my own 'conspiracy paranoia'?

No, not at all - It was recently reported that 45 to 60% of the underlying misinformation we see related to covid-19 is being pushed out onto the internet by internet 'bots'. Programs or automatic programs that push certain kinds of information - in this case MIS-information. Specifically inciting self-destructive behaviours. mis-Information about the characteristics of the virus. About wearing masks. About insidious goverment or media 'agendas' related to the existence of the virus and the pandemic.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...re-likely-bots

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...eopen-america/

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-bots-1004328/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bots-ac...searchers-say/

I would therefore encourage as many of you as possible to take a step back and realize that if you are on the various "it's a conspiracy" bandwagons - including those that might surround this even - realize that in all likelyhood you are being manipulated with misinformation. Take a step back and consult alternate sources, dig into what has caught your fancy and that is feeding whatever paranoia you might have that is vulnerable to what is called 'confirmation bias', that tendency to believe things that confirm what we already believe.

The second element is more directly related to THIS thread: The paranoia that says this story is agenda based and blown out of proportion. First, this case is about a murder. But local murders rarely make national news. There has to be something more to elevate a case to national attention. One is just random chance - some element of the story that pushes it into the national spotlight. In this case that was the emergence of the shooting video itself on may 5. But even more than that, once the story could be seen, there were two other things that had to happen. The first is the underlying injustice associated with how the Georgia law enforcement in this community tried to suppress the event itself, how they did not move, possibly because one of their own was involved, possibly because race was invovled. Either way - the racial element, the mishandling by the prosecutors, pushed this to the attention of the black community itself during a time when - much like #metoo - there has been a series of events that has pushed focus onto the injustice that so many black people experience in terms of unequal treatment under the law and in interactions with law enforcement.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/24/us/ge...ive/index.html

Phrases that have grown in attention and which have become rallying cries in black communities:

Source: above

Driving while black, BBQing while black, Napping while black, Shopping while black, Waiting while black

© Copyright Original Source

Find in this story another in the list: Jogging while black.

So what we are dealing with is a cultural phenomenon where in black communities the injustice they experience every day took notice of this story as just another in a long line of injustices to black people doing ordinary activities. Jogging while black brings this story to the national attention, and the responses to it. Runners all across the country took a jog of the same approximate distance as Arbery's in solidarity with him. There is a general outcry against this sort of thing across the country, white and black.

As to that underlying racism that has created this entire movement, that has lifted phrases like "Driving while black" and "Jogging while black" to the forefront of the news we need look no further than this thread where attempts have been made in post after post to cast upon this black man the same sorts of racially motivated stereotypes that have given rise to the entire list and the focus itself. Attempts were made to say this man wasn't really 'jogging' when his entire life was marked by athletic prowess as a runner. He was, in fact, a runner, one who nearly every day went out for long jogs and runs. Indeed, as a high school athlete he was so fast his coaches had to ask him to slow down. Yet here, in sync with various racially motivated outlets, cases were made trying to deny that is why he was in the neighborhood at the time.

And then we also have the text that tries to minimize the responsibility of the shooter and those with him.

There is no need to propose some 'agenda' or 'conspiracy' to account for why this story is news. It is news because the persistent inequities black people experience in their interactions with law enforcement and in everyday life has given rise to recognition of it and to people wanting to do something about it, both white and black, on a national scale.

And we need to be very careful not to be drawn into the racist counter response that wants to claim these inequities do not exist and it's all some 'leftist conspiracy'. Let's work instead to help fix the problem - in ourselves by rejecting the sort of racist narratives that have fed some of the responses on these pages - and in our own lives when we have the opportunity to do something about it.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-24-2020, 11:59 AM.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Find in this story another in the list: Jogging while black.
                                Of course there was a lot more to it than that, but you unwittingly concede the point that this story only rose to prominence because it is useful for advancing a particular narrative even if you have to ignore or downplay certain facts of the case to do so.

Comment