Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Nobody had ever heard the term "white Hispanic" until the media invented it to describe George Zimmerman. Have you ever filled out a job application or similar form? "White" and "Hispanic" are usually regarded as mutually exclusive.
    What a stupid thing to say. Here's statistics from the census bureau giving stats for White Hispanics as far back as 2000 (Table 1, page 3).

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Again, that's just dumb. If the kid had been white, it most likely would never have happened. Racism is the point, CP.
      So, why not just go with that? Why fabricate "facts"?

What color was he, CP?
      Why are liberals so obsessed with color?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        ...in the US you fill in your race on application forms? Why? Is this for real?
        It is. We can't just be "people".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Which is why, I wonder....
          Forgive me if I just ignore this screed, since it's all about speculation and absent facts.

Comment

No I didn't. I have no idea what Arbery was up to, whether it was good or no good. We can only say what he did, not why he did it.
            You didn't insinuate he was guilty eh? Here's your quote once again for you to ignore, since you asked for it:

"This guy wasn't out jogging, and he didn't just happen to wander by and poke his head in out of curiosity. The neighborhood in question was 10 miles from his home and he had cased the place at night on multiple occassions. But this lie that he was just some innocent black man out for a jog, needs to be rejected."

Not only is your quote misinformation, if not outright fabrications on your part, but yes, it is you insinuating that the guy was guilty.
            Last edited by JimL; 05-25-2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

However this case might turn out I don't think I could ever view what happened as an merely an accident based on bad judgement.
              Not did I ever say it was an accident based on bad judgment.

You're one of the more reasonable people here, Leon... let's try this.....

(and, please let me know if any of the facts below are in dispute, aside the fact that you're not the father of a black son, to my knowledge. )

We know that there's an atmosphere of racism, particularly in that region.
              We know that it was a predominantly white neighborhood.
              Now, you're the father of a young black man who tells you he likes to go jogging in the predominantly white neighborhood, and stops in at a house under construction to get a drink.

What would you tell your black son?

Comment

New information now says that while his home is indeed ten miles away, he may have been visiting his mother who apparently lived closer. So, yes, that certainly makes it more plausible that he was simply out for a jog on the day in question
                And that does make sense, and it does increase the likelihood that he was indeed just jogging. I personally don't claim to know his business there yet.

but it doesn't explain why he repeatedly visited the construction site, multiple times at night, nor why he was trespassing on that particular day.
                I'm trying to find out whether it was multiple times, or just the one time. It does look suspicious both ways, but more so if he visited multiple times.

And lets be clear: every indication is that it was his actions -- the fact that he was observed trespassing -- that attracted the McMichaels' attention and not the color of his skin. Sorry, but I refuse to jump on the "jogging while black" narrative.
                I'd agree, unless it also turns out that a lot of other people had also visited that place. Which I threw out there as a suggestion. If something like that turned out to be true, but they ignored them and zeroed in on him, then (and I gave that as an example) that would be an open-shut case of racism in action.

But there doesn't appear to be any hard evidence that Arbery was there to steal anything. There's no record of him doing so, no witness testimony. But I do agree with you that the McMichaels considered him suspect of various robberies, the motivating one being the "theft" of the younger McMichaels gun which he says was stolen a few days prior to the incident.
                Last edited by Leonhard; 05-25-2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It is. We can't just be "people".
                  It's definitely a shocker to me. I'm not even sure I could fill it out without feeling odd.

You're one of the more reasonable people here, Leon... let's try this.....
                  Thank you Cow Poke, you're also very reasonable.

We know that there's an atmosphere of racism, particularly in that region.
                  We know that it was a predominantly white neighborhood.
                  Now, you're the father of a young black man who tells you he likes to go jogging in the predominantly white neighborhood, and stops in at a house under construction to get a drink.

What would you tell your black son?
                  That one is a bit difficult. I do not lie down and take prejudice well Cow Poke, I don't know whether to be proud of him, or tell him not to risk things or he might get shot.

Now that I've answered that question what do I win?

Comment

You're a useful dupe for the liberal cause.
                    And you obviously let your prejudice direct your reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Why are liberals so obsessed with color?
                      To be fair, one can also turn that around and ask why conservatives try so hard to pretend there's not a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                        What a stupid thing to say. Here's statistics from the census bureau giving stats for White Hispanics as far back as 2000 (Table 1, page 3).
                        If you bothered to drill down through your source, you'd know it makes a distinction between "white" and "Hispanic".

The problem with the George Zimmerman case is that the liberal media jumped the gun and said, "White guy shoots black guy!" Then someone said, "Uh, you know he's Hispanic, right?" Next thing you know, the headlines are reading, "White Hispanic guy shoots black guy!"
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Affirmative action and anti-discrimination laws.
                          You don't need to fill out forms for stuff like that. Well except affirmative action I guess. We don't have that in Denmark. We do have the equivalent of hate-crime laws, and you can get a fine for racist utterings and racial slurs used in certain contexts. However I've never seen a form where I needed to specify a race.

Comment

It's definitely a shocker to me. I'm not even sure I could fill it out without feeling odd.
                            It makes a difference when your country sanctified slavery for hundreds of years and fought a civil war over it which half the country still hasn't accepted losing.

Comment

However this case might turn out I don't think I could ever view what happened as an merely an accident based on bad judgement.
                              AH, I see what you may have meant --- no, not "merely bad judgement" on the part of the actors - but bad judgement on the part of the victim.

Comment

You're a bald-faced liar. I never said "Arbery must have been up to no good".
                                Paraphrase mm, paraphrase. And that is the thrust, the meaning, of a large percentage of the posts you have made in this thread that mention Arbery. And it's not just me that has made mention of it.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment