Page 30 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    My comments focus on MM's overall defense, If you think I'm going to go through every detail in every post then you are living in a fantasy land.
    Right, you prefer vague accusations that avoid specifics because you know you can't back it up.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    The whole situation is a bit absurd to me. We don't have citizens arrest laws here. And even within the context of those I don't think the McMichaels were in the right in what they did.

I'm mostly just waiting for the court case for more details about it. At least we're free of having to worry that the court case will be settled on tweb.
    He will reply, ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Right, you prefer vague accusations that avoid specifics because you know you can't back it up.
    Sure - that's what it's all about.
    He will reply, ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Pointing out the hypocrisy of the media in covering race-based killings is not racist, Jim.
    This is giving unfortunate insights into Ox's world-view.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Haven't we reached that point where everybody is now saying the same things over and over, and it's time to wait for the trial, and hear facts under oath, subject to cross?

It seems this has degenerated into a personality conflict, out of which I am happily staying.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Haven't we reached that point where everybody is now saying the same things over and over, and it's time to wait for the trial, and hear facts under oath, subject to cross?

It seems this has degenerated into a personality conflict, out of which I am happily staying.
    I applaud your restraint, and your grammatical construction.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

7. Amen Cow Poke, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    This is giving unfortunate insights into Ox's world-view.
    I know - isn't it horrible that I view racism in america as bad, and that I'm willing to speak out against the continued legacy of slavery and the oppression of black people in our country even in the midst of a resurgence of white supremacy and the like at the encouragement of our current president? Even as he continues his relentless attacks on the character and legacy of our first Black president - for no other reason than the fact he is ... our first Black President.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/19/polit...use/index.html

The more Trump attacks and demeans Obama, the more respect I have for him. And Obama continues to walk a very high road considering. And I am sure all the white supremacists and neo-Nazis and KKK members are just as happy as happy can be as he does it. Are you right there with them?

Horrible, unfortunate insights.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-19-2020 at 01:49 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    So then - hypothetical.

A man confronts me with a gun. For whatever the reason, I believe I can get that gun away, so I try. If that gun goes off in the struggle and kills the other fellow, who's the guilty party? Is it self-defense, or are they arresting me?

I would say (regardless of what the law says) that if I point a gun at someone who has in actual fact done nothing illegal - threatening them and not in self defense - then whatever follows is my own fault. But the actual law is often not so simple (and can be downright unjust at times), so I'm curious
    Thatís likely to be self defence. Confronting someone armed is initiating the conflict as it would be what causes that person to take actions to defend themselves from a potential fatal threat. Being armed in a confrontation automatically escalates the situation into one where the likelihood of death or serious injury is increased.

Self defence isnít just for situations where your own life is in danger, itís if any life is in danger.

So say the victim wrestled the gun away from the defendant and was about to shoot. The defendants father in the truck sees this and shoots the victim first. That would be self defence. The initial aggressor rule wouldnít apply as the moment the victim is in control of the gun the initial threat would be deemed over. The act of then pointing the gun at the defendant would now be the victim initiating a new situation and the father would be able to claim self defence for shooting and killing the victim.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
    Thatís likely to be self defence. Confronting someone armed is initiating the conflict as it would be what causes that person to take actions to defend themselves from a potential fatal threat. Being armed in a confrontation automatically escalates the situation into one where the likelihood of death or serious injury is increased.

Self defence isnít just for situations where your own life is in danger, itís if any life is in danger.

So say the victim wrestled the gun away from the defendant and was about to shoot. The defendants father in the truck sees this and shoots the victim first. That would be self defence. The initial aggressor rule wouldnít apply as the moment the victim is in control of the gun the initial threat would be deemed over. The act of then pointing the gun at the defendant would now be the victim initiating a new situation and the father would be able to claim self defence for shooting and killing the victim.
    If a person confronts someone fully armed, after pursing the victim, and the victim has tried multiple times to flee, if they engage the victim with a weapon... then it's difficult for me to see how they can get away with a plea of self-defense. That would seem to be aggravated assault at least.

At any rate the father wasn't the one who shot Ahmoud, it was his son who got out of the car and was carrying the shotgun.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    All of that is true, but I don't think it is a fair analogy to what happened here. Also if the police did break in wrongfully, and you could reasonable demonstrate that you thought the intruder was just someone breaking in (which would be difficult as they tend to shout that they're the police), then you would be completely in your right if you gunned them down. You couldn't be tried for that either.

But we're talking here not about the police, but about three guys, pursuing someone who's trying to avoid them, where they've cut him off several times, and been yelling at him to stop. And one of them gets out and puts a shotgun in his face.

Does he have the right to self-defense?
    Bumping this question.