Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm seriously trying to figure out if you're just a pathological liar, have zero moral fiber, are just exceptionally stupid - or you're just "that kid" in class who says stupid of false things just to get attention, because "ANY attention" is attention.
    Oh the go to ad hom response. You don't have to agree with me, CP, but my opinion, whether you think it immoral, which doesn't even make sense, or stupid, is your opinion, but opinions are not lies they are opinions.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Oh the go to ad hom response.
      You frequently say things that are blatantly and demonstrably false. I don't know if you do it ignorantly, intentionally, or just to provoke, but I'm tired of it.

You don't have to agree with me, CP,
      I seldom do.

but my opinion, whether you think it immoral, which doesn't even make sense, or stupid, is your opinion, but opinions are not lies.
      You frequently say things that are demonstrably false. I don't know if you're this despicable in real life -- I sure hope not -- but it's really gotten old.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You frequently say things that are blatantly and demonstrably false. I don't know if you do it ignorantly, intentionally, or just to provoke, but I'm tired of it.

I seldom do.

You frequently say things that are demonstrably false. I don't know if you're this despicable in real life -- I sure hope not -- but it's really gotten old.
        Just as in this case, that's your opinion.

Comment

That's your opinion.
          It's my opinion too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            It's my opinion too.
            And you're welcome to it.

Comment

Just as in this case, that's your opinion.
              Except, of course, that can be easily documented all over this board that you routinely misrepresent what others say, make false accusations, and say really stupid things, apparently just to provoke a response.

When I have called you a liar, I have been very careful to stay within the confines of the decorum by substantiating the claim when I make it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Michael Gerson shares his opinion:

The hunting and killing of Ahmaud Arbery, the slow suffocation of George Floyd and the bigoted libel against Christian Cooper differ in many details. But they have at least one thing in common: Had it not been for video evidence of these abuses, many Americans on the right would have given the white aggressors the benefit of the doubt. And some have still done so.
                And this is the main reason that some conservatives (like me) refuse to share the same political coalition as right-wing populists, even though our policy views sometimes coincide. Given our country’s history of racism — expressed in slavery, redemption, segregation and continuing white supremacy — it is simply wrong to join any political coalition that welcomes and features racists. This is, or should be, a moral dealbreaker.
                When Trump retweets and elevates a racist figure, or praises protesters carrying Confederate flags, or singles out black athletes, journalists and politicians for attack, this is not only an individual moral failure on the part of the president (though it certainly is that). It represents the incorporation of racial bias — sometimes subtle, sometimes not — into his political appeal. He knows it, but, most important, bigots in his own party know it.
                One reason the president does not focus on the universality of human dignity in his rhetoric is because he systemically dehumanizes migrants and refugees as rapists, murderers and terrorists. He simply lacks the capacity to talk about our shared humanity.
                Is anyone confident that Trump feels an urgent need to address the racial and social inequalities that covid-19 has revealed in our health-care system? Does anyone seriously believe that Trump’s Justice Department is organized to aggressively pursue racial justice? On these matters, the president has signaled indifference to inequality.
                What would the agenda of right-wing populism look like without evangelical Christian influence? The movement would probably be less pro-life. But much of evangelicalism’s policy contribution to the Trump agenda concerns the defense of religious institutions themselves. And on racial issues, the absence of religious people would make no discernible difference. While rhetorically repudiating racism, they tolerate and enable it.
                https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d8d_story.html
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• The hunting and killing of Ahmaud Arbery, the slow suffocation of George Floyd and the bigoted libel against Christian Cooper differ in many details. But they have at least one thing in common: Had it not been for video evidence of these abuses, many Americans on the right would have given the white aggressors the benefit of the doubt.
                  With some of the video recordings what happened in the video and what the police reported happened often starkly diverged. Often police invented out of whole cloth narratives about the victim. Like in the shooting of Walter Scott, where the officer claimed that Scott had wrestled away his taser. What it turned out to be in reality was that the police officer was sick in the head, and had a long standing history of torturing people with a taser, abusing his position of authority to do so.

However when he killed a guy who was running away from him who tried to get away from the tasing, he spun a long story about trying to talk the person down but the guy wrestled away the taser.

So we'll just have to wonder how many police reports that are favorable to the police are trustworthy?
                  Last edited by Leonhard; 05-31-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                    Michael Gerson shares his opinion:

The hunting and killing of Ahmaud Arbery...
                    And that's where I stopped reading.

To describe what happened to Arbery as "hunting and killing" is so far from the truth that anything else this Gerson character has to say is suspect.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      And that's where I stopped reading.

To describe what happened to Arbery as "hunting and killing" is so far from the truth that anything else this Gerson character has to say is suspect.
                      One would wish so.

A few point bears repeating in the light of you skipping the rest of the post:

Had it not been for video evidence of these abuses, many Americans on the right would have given the white aggressors the benefit of the doubt. And some have still done so.
                      Seems we are once again finding you among those who try to somehow find a way to make what the aggressors did a little less bad. Previously you talked about him stealing water. If it wasn't such a tragedy it would be comedy.

And along those lines we are reminded of another interesting point Gerson makes:

One reason the president does not focus on the universality of human dignity in his rhetoric is because he systemically dehumanizes migrants and refugees as rapists, murderers and terrorists. He simply lacks the capacity to talk about our shared humanity.
                      I hope you can see why this is worth mentioning with regard to someone talking about a now dead person stealing water to drink.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Except, of course, that can be easily documented all over this board that you routinely misrepresent what others say, make false accusations, and say really stupid things, apparently just to provoke a response.
                        Asserting that you've documented me lying is not the same as actually documenting it. Asserting it without actually showing it is what is called a lie.
                        When I have called you a liar, I have been very careful to stay within the confines of the decorum by substantiating the claim when I make it.
                        Except that you never have substantiated it. It's all your opinion.

Comment

Asserting that you've documented me lying is not the same as actually documenting it.
                          Except that I don't lie, or make a bunch of idiot false accusations. Been stewing on this, Jim?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                            Seems we are once again finding you among those who try to somehow find a way to make what the aggressors did a little less bad.
                            I see you have as poor a relationship with the truth as your hero Gerson. The truth is that not once throughout this entire thread have I downplayed Arbery's death or the circumstances that led to it.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• In some places police are getting along with the protesters.

https://i.imgur.com/kcSgGQq.mp4

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I see you have as poor a relationship with the truth as your hero Gerson. The truth is that not once throughout this entire thread have I downplayed Arbery's death or the circumstances that led to it.

Comment