Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    "The only one they went after is a black male" is a fact. It is not my opinion, and it is not soeculation.
    We don't know who else they "went after". For all we know, they confronted every person they saw trespassing. I really don't get you. Why are you so quick to judge in the absence of facts?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      We don't know who else they "went after". For all we know, they confronted every person they saw trespassing. I really don't get you. Why are you so quick to judge in the absence of facts?
      You'll say literally anything to get these guys off or to avoid admitting you are wrong. There is no indications they went after the other 'trespassers' and the timeline of their involvement points to this being the first and only time they took aggressive action related to 'trespassers' at that house. And it's simply a fact the one they went after and killed was a young black man. MM : "If the facts aren't good enough, make stuff up!"
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-19-2020, 07:36 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You'll say literally anything to get these guys off or to avoid admitting you are wrong.
        Yeah, saying that we should wait for all the facts is pretty crazy, isn't it?

Comment

Yeah, saying that we should wait for all the facts is pretty crazy, isn't it?
          We have the facts wrt who they went after. Are you expecting a body farm to surface with the other 'trespassers' in it?

And where is this 'wait for the facts' attitude wrt joe biden? Or Blaise Ford? Or Bright?, or Comey.

Seems your wait for the facts attitude is reserved for the white guys that killed tte black guy.
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-19-2020, 09:00 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

We have the facts...
            We have some of the facts. We still don't have a complete picture, and we likely won't until after a statement from the prosecutor, and maybe not even until the trial is underway (assuming there is a trial).

I'm willing to keep an open mind. Are you?

Comment

• You know you've really jumped the shark when you make Mountain Man look like the reasoned and calm voice of moderation.

You ought to think about that, Ox.

(No offence meant, MM)
              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                You know you've really jumped the shark when you make Mountain Man look like the reasoned and calm voice of moderation.

(No offence meant, MM)

(No offense taken, because I'm typically the calm voice of moderation.)

Anyway, let's put things into perspective. Since the Arbery incident, there have been a number of black-on-white murders, including:

February 25, 2020: Five teens charged with capital murder in death of 16-year-old Biloxi girl
                February 26, 2020: 15-year-old charged with murder of North Little Rock cemetery worker
                April 3, 2020: Second arrest made after slain teen’s body left on side of gravel road in Lancaster Co.
                April 4, 2020: Teens charged for the 'targeted' murder of a Wisconsin doctor and an education coach
                April 15, 2020: Two charged with murder, third suspect wanted in death of UNCW student
                May 15, 2020: Parolee accused of murder left prison early due to ongoing COVID response by state
                May 18, 2020: 80-Year-Old “Perfect Grandma” Stabbed To Death By Career Criminal Who Was Out On Bond

And yet the only story making national headlines, and the only one we're supposed to be collectively outraged about, is the Arbery case.

I'll mention another interesting point: it actually took quite a bit of digging to find those stories because the vast majority of crimes of this nature are only ever reported by the local news, and even then, ethnicity is rarely mentioned (the media uses code words like "youths" and "teens" and other broad terms when describing crimes committed by blacks). Black-on-white crimes are almost wholly ignored by the national media, even when it's a big story, such as the black man who was recently convicted of murder for a 2017 killing spree in which his goal was to kill as many white people as possible. If you flipped the race of the murderer and the victims, this would have been a top headline story for at least a week, but I bet this is the first most here are hearing about it. And if Arbery was white, and the men who confronted him were black, I doubt we would even be talking about it.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-19-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                  You know you've really jumped the shark when you make Mountain Man look like the reasoned and calm voice of moderation.

(No offence meant, MM)

Honestly Maxvel - are you really going to try to claim MM's conversation on this issue so far is 'the voice of reason? He blatently looks for reason after reason to give the two white guys that shot arbery the benefit of the doubt (think about it, arbery was in a house under construction for a few minutes and because of that these guys are out in a pickup, armed and chasing him down) and he gloms onto to every possibility that maks arbery look bad (he is 'caught trespassing' when in fact a bunch of other folks did the same thing). And his latest 'voice of reason' to claim I'm not being fair is that maybe these guys have been out armed and chasing down other citizens too?

That is not reason max. Reasonable people do not look for every possible reason to excuse two armed men chasing down and eventually killing a fellow that looked in on a house under construction - regardless of race. Reasonable people do not think that these guys chasing down other people the same way (without an ounce of evidence for it) would somehow give one reason to pause and think maybe these guys were not nutsy at the very least. Normal people don't grab their guns and chase after folks looking in on a house under construction. And Normal people don't defend the ones that do.

Maybe you should think about what you have glommed onto here as 'reasonable' Max.

Comment

"The only one they went after is a black male" is a fact. It is not my opinion, and it is not soeculation.
                    And you have no evidence that his race was involved. At all. He was simply the one the neighbor happened to call the police on. That's all you know.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

(No offense taken, because I'm typically the calm voice of moderation.)

Anyway, let's put things into perspective. Since the Arbery incident, there have been a number of black-on-white murders, including:

February 25, 2020: Five teens charged with capital murder in death of 16-year-old Biloxi girl
                      February 26, 2020: 15-year-old charged with murder of North Little Rock cemetery worker
                      April 3, 2020: Second arrest made after slain teen’s body left on side of gravel road in Lancaster Co.
                      April 4, 2020: Teens charged for the 'targeted' murder of a Wisconsin doctor and an education coach
                      April 15, 2020: Two charged with murder, third suspect wanted in death of UNCW student
                      May 15, 2020: Parolee accused of murder left prison early due to ongoing COVID response by state
                      May 18, 2020: 80-Year-Old “Perfect Grandma” Stabbed To Death By Career Criminal Who Was Out On Bond

And yet the only story making national headlines, and the only one we're supposed to be collectively outraged about, is the Arbery case.

I'll mention another interesting point: it actually took quite a bit of digging to find those stories because the vast majority of crimes of this nature are only ever reported by the local news, and even then, ethnicity is rarely mentioned (the media uses code words like "youths" and "teens" and other broad terms when describing crimes committed by blacks). Black-on-white crimes are almost wholly ignored by the national media, even when it's a big story, such as the black man who was recently convicted of murder for a 2017 killing spree in which his goal was to kill as many white people as possible. If you flipped the race of the murderer and the victims, this would have been a top headline story for at least a week, but I bet this is the first most here are hearing about it. And if Arbery was white, and the men who confronted him were black, I doubt we would even be talking about it.
                      wow! just wow!

And you claim not to be racist ... yikes! This is like straight out of WS/Neo-Nazi propaganda playbook. This IS the sort of rhetoric they use to build their ranks.

Comment

Honestly Maxvel - are you really going to try to claim MM's conversation on this issue so far is 'the voice of reason? He blatently looks for reason after reason to give the two white guys that shot arbery the benefit of the doubt (think about it, arbery was in a house under construction for a few minutes and because of that these guys are out in a pickup, armed and chasing him down) and he gloms onto to every possibility that maks arbery look bad (he is 'caught trespassing' when in fact a bunch of other folks did the same thing). And his latest 'voice of reason' to claim I'm not being fair is that maybe these guys have been out armed and chasing down other citizens too?

That is not reason max. Reasonable people do not look for every possible reason to excuse two armed men chasing down and eventually killing a fellow that looked in on a house under construction - regardless of race. Reasonable people do not think that these guys chasing down other people the same way (without an ounce of evidence for it) would somehow give one reason to pause and think maybe these guys were not nutsy at the very least. Normal people don't grab their guns and chase after folks looking in on a house under construction. And Normal people don't defend the ones that do.

Maybe you should think about what you have glommed onto here as 'reasonable' Max.
                        Again, conveniently leaving out key facts, Jim. Why?
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

wow! just wow!

And you claim not to be racist ... yikes! This is like straight out of WS/Neo-Nazi propaganda playbook. This IS the sort of rhetoric they use to build their ranks.
                          Pointing out the hypocrisy of the media in covering race-based killings is not racist, Jim.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            And you have no evidence that his race was involved. At all. He was simply the one the neighbor happened to call the police on. That's all you know.
                            The point of my post was to counter MM's claim I was speculating BTC when I was simply recounting the facts. The facts are: Two white men grabbed their guns and chased down a black man who was seen on a property under construction, and in the process of that confrontation, the black man was killed. I did not offer an opinion as to why they chased him down except for what they themselves have admitted - he was on the property of a house under construction.

but you aren't complaining about that - are you. You want me to HIDE the fact this was two white men chasing down a black man - right? If I hide that fact, then I'm being fair, is that how it goes? Is it better if I hide their races? Are you more or less inclined to think the fellow killed was treated unjustly if I hide the races? Are you more or less inclined to think the fellow killed was 'up to no good' if I hide their races? Are you more or less inclined to thinking the shooters are guilty if I hide their races?

Ask yourself those questions in private BTC, after you get over your annoyance with me for making the point. Just between you and God. And keep your answers to yourself and deal with them quietly so the roar of this site's unholy drone does not keep you from hearing God's still small voice and keep you from dealing with the truth about what may sit just below the surface.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Pointing out the hypocrisy of the media in covering race-based killings is not racist, Jim.
                              It is in this case BTC. And it's not hypocrisy - the reality of white oppression of black people is not a fantasy BTC. It is a centuries long reality. A reality that still exists. It exists in gerrymandered voting districts that focus the black vote on a small handful of representatives, in organized campaigns to prevent poor black voters from getting to the polls. It exists in discrimination in housing and neighborhoods, in differential treatment by law enforcement, in the legacies of poverty and violence, in pay disparities, and education. A black child is more likely to go hungry, less likely to get a good education, more likely to die by gunshot, more likely to end up in crime, less likely to be payed as well as his white counterpart. This is REALITY BTC, not fantasy. And it is something that will continue as long as we continue to pretend these realities are somehow 'their fault'. The legacy of slavery and racism continues BTC. It's more subtle, but it is still there, and only God knows what it will take to change it. But ignoring it or pretending it does not exist most certainly will let it live on.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-19-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

wow! just wow!

Just because you are determined to misconstrue my comments as racist doesn't make them racist.

Comment