Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    No, the point is he ended up dead and should not have.
    And, once again, AGREED!!!!

On any given day, there are literally thousands of people that would still be alive if they had made a different choice.
    Including Mr. Arbery.

This is about the fact that his death was not due to the choices he made, but due to the choices his killers made.
    See? That's why I call it a "narrative" -- because only one position is allowed, and anything else that could possibly contribute is shot down.
    MY recommendation could actually PREVENT death -- the "narrative" is pretty much, as JimL admitted "Get UPSET", but there's still a dead man.

Again, you are effectively making this someone else's fault other than the shooters themselves.
    No, Jim. You are not a mind reader - I KNOW what is in my heart and head, and am very much involved in helping young black men think about their choices. ANY weekday morning at 8 AM (I'm not always there personally, but there's always a meeting) we have about 40-60 young black men for Bible study and breakfast --- REALLY good bacon and eggs and biscuits and sausage --- were we talk about personal responsibility and consequences.

I love these guys - they are family. And I do everything I can to help them not end up dead.

The fault lies with the men who pursued and killed him.
    I have NEVER disputed that. NOT ONCE. But, like Charles said (before he realized he was agreeing with me and indicting JimL) why not look at BOTH?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And, once again, AGREED!!!!

Including Mr. Arbery.

See? That's why I call it a "narrative" -- because only one position is allowed, and anything else that could possibly contribute is shot down.
      MY recommendation could actually PREVENT death -- the "narrative" is pretty much, as JimL admitted "Get UPSET", but there's still a dead man.

No, Jim. You are not a mind reader - I KNOW what is in my heart and head, and am very much involved in helping young black men think about their choices. ANY weekday morning at 8 AM (I'm not always there personally, but there's always a meeting) we have about 40-60 young black men for Bible study and breakfast --- REALLY good bacon and eggs and biscuits and sausage --- were we talk about personal responsibility and consequences.

I love these guys - they are family. And I do everything I can to help them not end up dead.

I have NEVER disputed that. NOT ONCE. But, like Charles said (before he realized he was agreeing with me and indicting JimL) why not look at BOTH?
      You're still blaming Arbery, CP. 'It's Arbery, not the McMichaels, you say, who should have mad a different choice.'

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        You're still blaming Arbery, CP.
        No, Jim, but I understand how a person of your extreme prejudice would twist it that way, because it's part of the narrative. But I am not blaming Mr Arbery, any more than I would blame my own daughter for making poor choices that resulted in heartbreak.

'It's Arbery, not the McMichaels, you say, who should have mad a different choice.'
        If EITHER had made a different choice, Arbery might still be alive, but an extremist leftist pinko commie like yourself isn't going to care about anything except the narrative.
        And there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for what the McMichaels did, or how the case was ignored for so long. NONE, ZERO, NADA.

You are so absolutely hard wired to the "blame game" that you think that simply observing that sometimes a misguided choice has to equate to blame. It does not.

(to the weak of mind - I don't really think Jim is a pinko commie - I'm just pokin' him in good nature)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          You're still blaming Arbery, CP. 'It's Arbery, not the McMichaels, you say, who should have mad a different choice.'
          By they way, this is a gutless lowdown cowardly lie straight from the pits of hell. But, no surprise there.

I have NEVER excused the McMichaels. If you were within arm's reach, I'd have to bop you on your big empty lying liberal leftist head for that one.

Then you could do what you do best.... GET UPSET!!!!
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-26-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
            "The neighborhood in question was ten-miles from his home, and he had cased the place at night on multiple occasions."

That's an assumption that Arbery was up to no good.
            Not an assumption at all. On the contrary, it's an undeniable fact that he was snooping around a place he had no business being. Was he up to no good? I have no idea, but he did what he did, and it's stupid to pretend otherwise.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• More evil whites:
              Christian Cooper was birdwatching deep in the woods of Manhattan’s Central Park when he noticed a rogue cocker spaniel digging up the shrubbery around him.

Many of the birds he spots come for the dense plants, so he approached the dog’s owner early on Monday with a request: Could she leash up the canine, as the park rules required?

Amy Cooper said she would be calling the police instead.
“I’m going to tell them there’s an African American man threatening my life,” the white woman told him, pulling out her cellphone and dialing 911.

Less than 24 hours later after a video of their exchange went online, she has lost her dog, her anonymity, and her job — the latest incident in a long, too-familiar pattern of white people calling the police on black people for any number of everyday activities: Barbecuing. Playing golf. Swimming at a pool.

Time to add a new outdoor pastime to that list: birdwatching.
              Whites; behave yourselves.

Should white men be allowed to be police officers? Not as long as they keep killing blacks. Police forces would do well to team up black male officers with white female officers.
              Last edited by firstfloor; 05-26-2020, 04:53 PM.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                More evil whites:
                OK, Jaydon.

Should white men be allowed to be police officers? Not as long as they keep killing blacks. Police forces would do well to team up black male officers with white female officers.
                First off, the vast, vast majority of crimes are perpetrated and victimize the same race. So although you may think whites are killing blacks all over the place (thanks to media hype like 24-hour coverage of the Arbery case), most blacks are being killed by blacks. WAY more. WAY, WAY WAY more.
                https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-3.xls
                https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...eleased-093019

And in cases where the crimes cross over racial boundaries, blacks commit more crimes against whites. But the crossovers are such small amounts as to not be noteworthy (EXCEPT TO THE MEDIA).

Now, as far as police racial profiling - I agree. Got any suggestions on how to correct it? I mean, aside from banning all white males from all police forces?

Comment

No, Jim, but I understand how a person of your extreme prejudice would twist it that way, because it's part of the narrative. But I am not blaming Mr Arbery, any more than I would blame my own daughter for making poor choices that resulted in heartbreak.

If EITHER had made a different choice, Arbery might still be alive, but an extremist leftist pinko commie like yourself isn't going to care about anything except the narrative.
                  And there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for what the McMichaels did, or how the case was ignored for so long. NONE, ZERO, NADA.

You are so absolutely hard wired to the "blame game" that you think that simply observing that sometimes a misguided choice has to equate to blame. It does not.

(to the weak of mind - I don't really think Jim is a pinko commie - I'm just pokin' him in good nature)
                  When criminal activity kills someone, speculating about how the victim could have avoided being the victim is useless to the victim and often casts blame on the victim.

The only useful context I see for that sort of speculation is in trying to help some other person from suffering the same fate.

But that is part of what is so insidious here. How does one anticipate three men are going to chase you down with guns just because you are jogging through a neighborhood and stopped for a break at a house under construction?

Is that a reasonable expectation for that neighborhood?

No. It wasn't.

So the problem here is not Arbery. The problem is the men that chased him down and ultimately killed him. That's the crime. And the next person to jog through the neighborhood should be able to rest a bit easier because those men are in jail, and our reasonable expectation is there isnt anyone else there likely to be so stupid or so aggressive.

If that isnt our reasonable expectation, then something is very, very wrong. Now by focusing on what Arbery could or should have done, you are saying Arbery cant have reasonably expected to be safe in that neighborhood.

And not only that, as you have posted, you are saying the reason he could not expect to be safe is because he was black.

If "jogging while black" is not a reality, then Arbery had every right to expect he would be safe. He had every reason to expect the run in he had with police did not reflect on who the people were in that neighborhood.

If he cant run with that expectation in that neighborhood, then that means there really is culturally induced racism. And that all these things being called liberal agendas are not in fact agendas but realities.

So, when you get right down to it, the fact you are focused on how Arbery should have known to do differently, or his mom should gave told him to do differently, is in fact an admission that "jogging while black" is a reality.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                    So, according to you he was trespassing...
                    This is a fact.

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                    ...you associate him with thieves...
                    That thieves often target construction sites is well-known, and the owner of the property was concerned enough with trespassers to install a security camera and contact the police about what he should do. Taking all these factors into consideration, Arbery's actions -- repeatedly entering the property and peering around -- appeared suspicious in and of themselves regardless of his actual motives, which are unknown.

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                    ...and you claim he was shot as a direct result of his own aggresive actions.
                    This is a fact. No shots were fired until after he attacked the man on the ground and tried to wrestle the shotgun away.

So the question is: Would Arbery be alive today if he wasn't observed trespassing, and if he didn't attack an armed man? I think the answer is yes.

It's probably worth repeating that this is in no way an attempt to "blame the victim" or justify the actions taken against him. I'm just looking at the facts. And, yes, it would be just as fair to ask if he would be alive if the McMichaels hadn't initiated an armed pursuit. The whole point here is that the "jogging while black" narrative is false. There's a lot more to the story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Not an assumption at all. On the contrary, it's an undeniable fact that he was snooping around a place he had no business being. Was he up to no good? I have no idea, but he did what he did, and it's stupid to pretend otherwise.
                      I notice you neglected to bold the whole of your opinionated assertion, MM. Casing the place implies criminal intention, multiple times at night is your own prejudiced assertion. You're only fooling yourself, MM. Just fess up to your prejudice and grow.
                      Last edited by JimL; 05-26-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

By they way, this is a gutless lowdown cowardly lie straight from the pits of hell. But, no surprise there.

I have NEVER excused the McMichaels. If you were within arm's reach, I'd have to bop you on your big empty lying liberal leftist head for that one.

Then you could do what you do best.... GET UPSET!!!!
                        Calm yourself, CP. You're getting upset with all those !!!!!!!!'s Methinks, CP, you doth protest to much.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          Casing the place implies criminal intention, multiple times at night is your own prejudiced assertion.
                          "Casing the place" is an idiom that simply means to gather knowledge about a location. We use it frequently on my job when visiting a venue to assess event needs. I have no idea what Arbery's actual motives were.

Comment

"Casing the place" is an idiom that simply means to gather knowledge about a location. We use it frequently on my job when visiting a venue to assess event needs. I have no idea what Arbery's actual motives were.
                            Oh MM, c'mon. Everybody here is well aware of what you meant by casing the place, particularly together with the entirety of your post, the "on multiple occasions at night" and "The idea that this was just some inncent black man out for a jog, needs to be rejected. Stop digging!

Comment

Even if a lesser usage of the term doesn't imply criminal intent (I don't believe you but whatever) you are responsible to knowing what the dominant usage of the term is and how others will take it. Otherwise you look like a foolio.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                Oh MM, c'mon. Everybody here is well aware of what you meant by casing the place...
                                Apparently not, since you're apparently under the impression that I was implying criminal intent. I guess not everybody uses the term the way my job does. Duly noted.

Comment