Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    No, it can not inferred from what people write here that they lack compassion for Arbery, at least not reasonably. The people who see a lack of compassion in people's posts here see it because they want it to be there, not because they have a reasonable cause to infer it from what people write.
    Just like I tried to express about my own daughter, when she was living in sin - because I loved her, and had compassion for her, I tried to get her not to do things that would put her life or health in jeopardy. Is that "blaming her"? No.

It's TRUE compassion, not some phony-balony (do I have to type it that way to make it rhyme in type) compassion that refuses to look at all aspects of a situation.

But that's part of the liberal narrative --- if you look at ANYTHING other than their viewpoint, you're blaming the victim and excusing the bad actors.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Just like I tried to express about my own daughter, when she was living in sin - because I loved her, and had compassion for her.....
      Just wanted to clear this up --- NOT past tense -- I STILL love her and STILL have compassion for her, and I LOVE it that she's living for the Lord, and she THANKS me for doing my best to keep her from killing herself.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Good old Gerson tells about how one of the founders of modern evangelicalism, John Wesley, reacted to slavery. Read the the interesting article: What one of the founders of evangelicalism can teach us about racism

As important as what Wesley argued was how he argued it — in intense, emotion-laden language designed to encourage empathy. Addressing slave traders directly he wrote:

“Are you a man? Then you should have a human heart. But have you indeed? What is your heart made of? Is there no such principle as compassion there? Do you never feel another’s pain? . . . When you squeezed the agonizing creatures down in the ship, or when you threw their poor mangled remains into the sea, had you no relenting? Did not one tear drop from your eye, one sigh escape from your breast? Do you feel relenting now? If you do not, you must go on, till the measure of your iniquities is full. Then will the Great GOD deal with you, as you have dealt with them, and require all their blood at your hands.”

The most unexpected element of the work was Wesley’s willingness to follow his arguments to their radical conclusion. He went so far as to justify slave uprisings, which he described as oppressed people “asserting their native Liberty, which they have as much right to as to the air they breathe.” Addressing slave owners, Wesley asked, “What wonder, if they should cut your throat? And if they did, whom could you thank for it, but yourself? You first acted the villain by making them slaves, (whether you stole them or bought them).”
        But sometimes people can only move forward when they have their past returned to them. Evangelicals (and others) seeking guidance on dealing with racial matters have much to learn from Wesley: his passion for human dignity, his embrace of empathy, his willingness to follow the demands of justice beyond his ideological comfort zone. Even as a conservative, Wesley demonstrated that a sincere, consistent commitment to human dignity is more radical than most imagine.
        Last edited by Charles; 06-16-2020, 03:52 PM.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          It's worse than that. He's claiming that people in this thread are "...voicing the thoughts of demons." And I doubt that he means people that agree with him. AFAIK, most of those that disagree with him are practicing Christians. So he's claiming that Christians are here "...voicing the thoughts of demons.". That's kind of waaaaaaay out there.

I wouldn't like to have to justify that claim to Jesus one day.

I won't bother with the blatant misrepresentation and strawman of what people have been saying. He's mostly just triggered because everyone sees what a phony he is. Lashing out wildly, as happens regularly, and you have been the victim of.
          Well, yeah I definitely see it as way worse than he will probably ever realize, but I wanted to make a more pragmatic point on this post. As well as try and say it in the least hostile way possible.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So, your pattern seems to be that you
          • get worked up into a frenzy and end up spewing forth something incredibly uncivil and ungodly (this tops anything I've see you do) --
          • you go away for a while and sulk...
          • you realize you went too far,
          • then you return with a sincere(?) apology admitting you went over the top,
          • and you, once again, call for civility.
          • rinse, repeat.

I'm kinda suspecting you've outdone yourself with this one, and it will be a while before you recover from this hate-filled "blame everybody else" emotional low, and realize you've made false accusations, particularly against me, as I have made ZERO "justifications" of the "words of men voicing the thoughts of demons". That is false and BEYOND NUTTY. Borderline demonic. You really should be ashamed.

Your "find the compassion of Christ" speech is hypocrisy on steroids, as you have become a raging hate-filled false accuser of the brethren. Remember, I'm the guy who "brags" of actually WORKING with these people day in and day out - for you to accuse me of having no compassion is gutless and cowardly, but it's very pleasing to Satan and his followers here. Remember - your "friends" here will continue kissing your butt right up to you declaring anything even REMOTELY evangelistic.

SHOULD you decide to apologize for this evil and unjust attack, I can tell you in advance I will forgive you.

Because I don't think this is you, Jim -- I think, for whatever reason, you are dealing with severe mental and/or emotional issues, and you should probably take a break from this board for a while.

I'm praying for you, for peace.
          Yeah, I had a feeling this would happen. I don't want to psycho-analyze him, but the conversations on here almost seem like him using this forum as a release valve. I know a lot of people who hold it all in until they just blow up, usually it is at something small to make them erupt. I've done it a couple of times myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Good old Gerson tells about how one of the founders of modern evangelicalism, John Wesley, reacted to slavery. Read the the interesting article: What one of the founders of evangelicalism can teach us about racism
            Good ol OSU on white slavery in Africa

https://news.osu.edu/when-europeans-...usly-believed/
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Yeah, I had a feeling this would happen. I don't want to psycho-analyze him, but the conversations on here almost seem like him using this forum as a release valve. I know a lot of people who hold it all in until they just blow up, usually it is at something small to make them erupt. I've done it a couple of times myself.
              I'm going back to not responding to him, and suggest he do likewise. I don't want to be the one who pushes him over the edge.

Comment

I'm going back to not responding to him, and suggest he do likewise. I don't want to be the one who pushes him over the edge.
                Yeah - that would be your best bet CP. Because I will not back off in terms of speaking about what I believe to be true and right. So if you don't want to hear that, then best to put the plugs in your ears and stop listening.

Responses were as expected, but not as hoped for.

Pulled out for a day in the hopes someone would actually stop and think about what they are doing, who they are being in this thread.

But that is sadly not to be.

Clearly gone are the days when an Evangelical Christian can be brought to repentance, after all, they've got the truthTM.

How could anything they are doing be wrong?
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Yeah - that would be your best bet CP.
                  Please do likewise.

Thanks

Comment

Please do likewise.

Thanks
                    We'll see CP. I am not inclined to push that, I'll likely leave you be mostly.

But just to be clear: I respect the sacrifices you have made to be a minister of the Gospel. I believe that you do many good things in your community, I actually believe that if we were to take stock of good done - you'd come out ahead of me by a good bit. This thing I've said to you applies to one blind spot you have, not all of who you are. But it's a critical one here and in this day. And I am still praying that somehow you'll hear it eventually.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Pulled out for a day in the hopes someone would actually stop and think about what they are doing, who they are being in this thread.
                      Naturally you excluded yourself from this need for introspection, and I know this because you have the gall to say...

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      Clearly gone are the days when an Evangelical Christian can be brought to repentance, after all, they've got the truthTM.
                      You condemn yourself with your own words.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Naturally you excluded yourself from this need for introspection, and I know this because you have the gall to say...

You condemn yourself with your own words.
                        Nope - I did not exclude myself. CP is a righteous man, and the entire time I'm debating whether to call him out on this issue, I asking myself if I have any right to because I know that in many ways I do not measure up to what he has given as a pastor.

But this issue is deeply ingrained in our culture, and most white evangelical Christians are racist without really understanding how they are racist because it is part of the culture they grew up in. But it has been amplified in this thread. If you want to see a pristine example of how white evangelicals can hold racist concepts and stereotypes without really understanding that is what they are doing - this thread is the place to watch it unfold.

Comment

I did not exclude myself.
                          And yet you self-righteously point a judgemental finger at everybody else.

And now you're calling Cow Poke "a righteous man" when just a couple days ago you were arrogantly commanding him to repent because he was, and I quote, "justifying the words of men voicing the thoughts of demons." Make up your mind.

Comment

And yet you self-righteously point a judgemental finger at everybody else.

And now you're calling Cow Poke "a righteous man" when just a couple days ago you were arrogantly commanding him to repent because he was, and I quote, "justifying the words of men voicing the thoughts of demons." Make up your mind.
                            Yes - that happens. No-one is completely righteous except Christ himself. And I think Paul had to rebuke Peter to his face did he not over the issue of the circumcision? Peter the rock of the church, the first Pope, called to task by this rogue fellow that once persecuted the Christians and had Stephen stoned because he hypocritically would eat with Gentiles when the Circumcision was not around, but who then cowed to please them when they were around.

ETA: No, I am not saying CP is equal to Peter, or that I am equal to Paul. I am saying the CP and I are peers, but that CP has a higher position in the Church than I do, as Peter and Paul were peers, but Peter had/has a higher position in the Church than Paul. And yet the lesser needed to call out the greater.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-17-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Yes - that happens. No-one is completely righteous except Christ himself. And I think Paul had to rebuke Peter to his face did he not over the issue of the circumcision? Peter the rock of the church, the first Pope, called to task by this rogue fellow that once persecuted the Christians and had Stephen stoned because he hypocritically would eat with Gentiles when the Circumcision was not around, but who then cowed to please them when they were around.

ETA: No, I am not saying CP is equal to Peter, or that I am equal to Paul. I am saying the CP and I are peers, but that CP has a higher position in the Church than I do, as Peter and Paul were peers, but Peter had/has a higher position in the Church than Paul. And yet the lesser needed to call out the greater.
                              Oh, please, I'm not even sure you buy into this hypocritical rationalization. You seem to be trying extra hard to ingratiate yourself with Cow Poke after blatantly accusing him of justifying the words of demons! Maybe try showing some genuine repentance and humility for your shocking accusations not only against someone you now call a "righteous man" but also against your fellow Christians who you straight up accused of being demonic.

Comment

Oh, please, I'm not even sure you buy into this hypocritical rationalization. You seem to be trying extra hard to ingratiate yourself with Cow Poke after blatantly accusing him of justifying the words of demons! Maybe try showing some genuine repentance and humility for your shocking accusations not only against someone you now call a "righteous man" but also against your fellow Christians who you straight up accused of being demonic.
                                His current behavior reminds me of that shoddily duplicitous, "I'm Not Racist, but..." precursor that you often hear RIGHT before someone says something unsavory about some ethnic group.

"I'm not accusing Cow Poke of blasphemy, but he's currently justifying the words of demons!"
                                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment