Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It is clear to me that you are seeing what you want/expect to see based on your own personal struggles with racism. You can try to comfort yourself by insisting that all white people think exactly like you, but that's simply not true.

I'm not sure what else to say, but this is not an "us" problem, it's a "you" problem.
    No, it's definitely a "you" problem, MM. "the idea that this was just some innocent black guy out for a jog, needs to be rejected". Definitely a "you" problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
      No, it's definitely a "you" problem, MM. "the idea that this was just some innocent black guy out for a jog, needs to be rejected". Definitely a "you" problem.
      Right, he wasn't just an innocent black man out for a jog, but that in and of itself does not in any way justify the actions taken against him.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Saying both sides had issues is hardly ‘racist behavior’. Is there some sort of reason he needs to be a knight, in shining armor, beyond reproach?
        Two words -= liberal narrative.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Saying both sides had issues is hardly ‘racist behavior’. Is there some sort of reason he needs to be a knight, in shining armor, beyond reproach?
          Noting there were issues is not what I'm talking about. focusing on those issues and all but ignoring the issues with their killers is what I am talking about. Trying to claim that just being on a property under construction justified a brutal armed pursuit of a black man, when other white people are caught on the property as well. Even after being told multiple times there is no way they could be justified. And I certainly never heard anyone claim the white couple or the kids on the property needed to be pursued as well.

Oh - and the the coup-de-gras. After 120+ pages trying desperately to claim "no way was Arbery just out for a Jog" - weeks after it being clear that's all it was - MM's defense of the younger McMichaels shouting out F...... N..... after killing arbery. "well, you never know exactly what you might say in a really tense situation" or something like that.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            two words = 'straw' 'man'
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Right, he wasn't just an innocent black man out for a jog, but that in and of itself does not in any way justify the actions taken against him.
              Right, but you did your best to justify those actions anyway.

Comment

You've just made my case. Over and over and over again MM says that even when there is nothing to support that belief ... execpt the idea he's black and a black man on a property under construction necessarily means he is up to no good.

Please, please, please find me a post where MM says the white couple was up to no good. Or those kids on bikes were up to no good. sorry - it ain't there.

But the black guy - he was up to no good. You can bank on that ... says MM. And he don't need no stinkin' evidence to know that for a fact!

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Noting there were issues is not what I'm talking about. focusing on those issues and all but ignoring the issues with their killers is what I am talking about. Trying to claim that just being on a property under construction justified a brutal armed pursuit of a black man, when other white people are caught on the property as well. Even after being told multiple times there is no way they could be justified. And I certainly never heard anyone claim the white couple or the kids on the property needed to be pursued as well.

Oh - and the the coup-de-gras. After 120+ pages trying desperately to claim "no way was Arbery just out for a Jog" - weeks after it being clear that's all it was - MM's defense of the younger McMichaels shouting out F...... N..... after killing arbery. "well, you never know exactly what you might say in a really tense situation" or something like that.
                  So he has to be an innocent black man because reasons or something... I see, so perhaps you can give just one example of anyone here saying he deserved being shot or dying? Or maybe you can falsely accuse me of being lead by demons for not being in 100% lock step with everything you say!
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It's pretty nutty for someone like ox who claims to love the truth and practically worships the scientific method to ignore or downplay certain facts that don't support his preferred narrative.

Certainly the McMichaels should in some way be held accountable for their actions, but they should not be accused of crimes they didn't actually commit. There's nothing just about overcharging a white man just to make a political statement.

Comment

• I would like for sane rational people to contemplate the following statement....

"Georgia, OTOH, especially places like Brunswick, are still bastions of overt racism, which is where this killing occurred."

If a black friend you truly cared about said, "hey, I'm gonna go for a jog, and stop by that house under construction over in Brunswick- you know - that bastion of overt racism, then go running down the street....."
                      Now, remember, you really CARE about this person... would you suggest that might not be the best idea?

ESPECIALLY when your black friend, whom you love, ALREADY had run-ins with the police there....

And, AGAIN, from personal experience, I had encouraged my own daughter to avoid places I knew were putting her life in jeopardy (bars, crack houses, associating with known criminals), and because I LOVED her, I did my best to encourage her not to put herself in those situations.

If she were black, and I knew she was going to "go for a jog" in "places like Brunswick, [which] are still bastions of overt racism", and she already had run-ins with the police there, I would do my best to stop her.

Now, GOD FORBID she be run down by racist bigots and killed --- if she HAD been, would I be a terrible dad to feel guilty for not doing more to try to stop her from doing something so risky?
                      And I could argue all day that she SHOULD be able to run anywhere she wants, but would I want her to avoid "places like Brunswick, [which] are still bastions of overt racism"?

And, again, I PRAISE GOD that my daughter finally "came to herself" (that's what we had been praying for) and is on the right track, even though nearly a half dozen of her "running buddies" from those days were murdered or overdosed, she - to this day - still thanks me for wise counsel.

Now, if this is your own child, or friend, or relative, and you had true love, you would do what I did.

If you're only here to rage and make psychotic false accusations, you'd say I was "blaming the victim".

AND, for the umpteenZILLIONTH time..... there is absolutely no justification for Arbery's death. Zero, Nada, Zilch - NONE.
                      But he could actually be alive today, if only....
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You've just made my case. Over and over and over again MM says that even when there is nothing to support that belief ... execpt the idea he's black and a black man on a property under construction necessarily means he is up to no good.

Please, please, please find me a post where MM says the white couple was up to no good. Or those kids on bikes were up to no good. sorry - it ain't there.

But the black guy - he was up to no good. You can bank on that ... says MM. And he don't need no stinkin' evidence to know that for a fact!
                        I never said he was "up to no good". But he was caught snooping around private property that he had no business being on, which means he wasn't innocent. However - and I'm repeating myself here - that does not in and of itself justify any of the actions against him, and the McMichaels should be and will be held accountable, though I am not convinced they are guilty of murder.

Seriously, stop projecting your emotionally crippling white guilt onto me and go deal with it somewhere else.

Comment

I never said he was "up to no good". But he was caught snooping around private property that he had no business being on, which means he wasn't innocent. However - and I'm repeating myself here - that does not in and of itself justify any of the actions against him, and the McMichaels should be and will be held accountable, though I am not convinced they are guilty of murder.

Seriously, stop projecting your emotionally crippling white guilt onto me and go deal with it somewhere else.
                          Sorry, I'm the proverbial thorn in your side I guess.

A rest stop == 'Snooping'

Truly sad.

Comment

I would like for sane rational people to contemplate the following statement....

"Georgia, OTOH, especially places like Brunswick, are still bastions of overt racism, which is where this killing occurred."

If a black friend you truly cared about said, "hey, I'm gonna go for a jog, and stop by that house under construction over in Brunswick- you know - that bastion of overt racism, then go running down the street....."
                            Now, remember, you really CARE about this person... would you suggest that might not be the best idea?

ESPECIALLY when your black friend, whom you love, ALREADY had run-ins with the police there....

And, AGAIN, from personal experience, I had encouraged my own daughter to avoid places I knew were putting her life in jeopardy (bars, crack houses, associating with known criminals), and because I LOVED her, I did my best to encourage her not to put herself in those situations.

If she were black, and I knew she was going to "go for a jog" in "places like Brunswick, [which] are still bastions of overt racism", and she already had run-ins with the police there, I would do my best to stop her.

Now, GOD FORBID she be run down by racist bigots and killed --- if she HAD been, would I be a terrible dad to feel guilty for not doing more to try to stop her from doing something so risky?
                            And I could argue all day that she SHOULD be able to run anywhere she wants, but would I want her to avoid "places like Brunswick, [which] are still bastions of overt racism"?

And, again, I PRAISE GOD that my daughter finally "came to herself" (that's what we had been praying for) and is on the right track, even though nearly a half dozen of her "running buddies" from those days were murdered or overdosed, she - to this day - still thanks me for wise counsel.

Now, if this is your own child, or friend, or relative, and you had true love, you would do what I did.

If you're only here to rage and make psychotic false accusations, you'd say I was "blaming the victim".

AND, for the umpteenZILLIONTH time..... there is absolutely no justification for Arbery's death. Zero, Nada, Zilch - NONE.
                            But he could actually be alive today, if only....
                            I don't believe anyone said the above was blaming the victim, CP, nor did anyone call you a racist for bringing it up, but as you yourself know, the above commentary has nothing to do with the actual facts of the case. The facts of the case are that he was jogging through the area, which was apparently a route he often took, he stopped in at the construction site, looked around, left, and was then pursued for many blocks by 3 armed men whom he tried to evade until finally being cut off and threatened with a shotgun he reacted defensively and was killed. The reason Arbery isn't alive today isn't because he went into that neighborhood, it's because three yahoos tracked him down, threatened him, and ended up killing him when he chose to defend himself.

Comment

Sorry, I'm the proverbial thorn in your side I guess.
                              Not really.

Comment

Not really.
                                You're being elevated to Apostle status - run with it!

Comment