Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I have seen that up front and personal, and it's ugly! The judge in the case I reference was quite obviously doing something he KNEW FULL WELL was not proper jurisprudence --- he was sweating profusely and his hands were shaking as he pronounced a maximum penalty and said "because we need to make an example".

He still can't look me eye to eye to this very day. Coward!
    And, I confess --- I go out of my way to be "in his face" when the opportunity presents itself.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And, I confess --- I go out of my way to be "in his face" when the opportunity presents itself.
      What case was it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        What case was it?
        It was a case in which a prison guard - a Sheriff's Deputy - was goaded by an inmate over and over, and the Deputy punched the guy in the head.
        the prisoner had threatened the guard's family, and yelled out the guard's home address, threatening to kill his wife and kids.

It was wrong - absolutely wrong - for the guard to punch the guy. One punch, then he walked away.

Because it was during a "hot time" regarding racial violence (the guard was actually an Hispanic who punched a black prisoner) it was a "big deal", and Quanell X was here (I sat right next to him) to make sure "justice was done".

The judge had the bailiff consult with me about comforting the family, the proceeded to pronounce the absolute maximum sentence he possibly could, with ZERO possibility for "good time behavior".

It was a sham.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It was a case in which a prison guard - a Sheriff's Deputy - was goaded by an inmate over and over, and the Deputy punched the guy in the head.
          the prisoner had threatened the guard's family, and yelled out the guard's home address, threatening to kill his wife and kids.

It was wrong - absolutely wrong - for the guard to punch the guy. One punch, then he walked away.

Because it was during a "hot time" regarding racial violence (the guard was actually an Hispanic who punched a black prisoner) it was a "big deal", and Quanell X was here (I sat right next to him) to make sure "justice was done".

The judge had the bailiff consult with me about comforting the family, the proceeded to pronounce the absolute maximum sentence he possibly could, with ZERO possibility for "good time behavior".

It was a sham.
          I'm sorry Cow Poke, I disagree with giving a maximum sentence for something like that.

We all have our biases in this story. I am not a fan of vigilantism like what they did, and without knowing the legal details, all I can say it looks morally wrong and stupid and resulted in a completely needless death. If they walk away and get to brag about it on Twitter afterwards (which George Zimmerman got to), then it doesn't seem to me that justice was served. Then again you also know my opinion about Felony Murder.

I'm just waiting to hear the result and whether it makes sense.

Comment

I'm sorry Cow Poke, I disagree with giving a maximum sentence for something like that.
            Yeah, even the judge knew he was doing something dirty.

We all have our biases in this story. I am not a fan of vigilantism like what they did, and without knowing the legal details, all I can say it looks morally wrong and stupid and resulted in a completely needless death. If they walk away and get to brag about it on Twitter afterwards (which George Zimmerman got to), then it doesn't seem to me that justice was served. Then again you also know my opinion about Felony Murder.

I'm just waiting to hear the result and whether it makes sense.
            Well, I made no pretense whatsoever that "my guy" deserved to be punished -- I thought they would fire him and take away his police certification (which they did). Maybe even the 1 year probated or something.
            But to make him spend 365 days to the day in county jail --- that was just wrong.

Comment

Well, I made no pretense whatsoever that "my guy" deserved to be punished -- I thought they would fire him and take away his police certification (which they did). Maybe even the 1 year probated or something.
              But to make him spend 365 days to the day in county jail --- that was just wrong.
              A year? That's less than I thought it was, but still a long time. Did it go on his record afterwards?

Comment

A year? That's less than I thought it was, but still a long time. Did it go on his record afterwards?
                Absolutely. He is now a convicted criminal, which will keep him from getting any decent job, and he'll never be allowed to work in law enforcement.

Even when armed robbers and rapists were being credited "good time" behavior, and earlier release, this was not an option for him.

Comment

Absolutely. He is now a convicted criminal, which will keep him from getting any decent job, and he'll never be allowed to work in law enforcement.
                  Hmmm, violence against the helpless by those in charge is something sensitive to. Here though, I don't know. I really don't Cow Poke. I trust that the prisoner was awful and probably did his best to bring out that wallop. I believe in second chances for a lot of things, except the most extreme of things. If he had hit an inmate in anger because he was goaded, that would be bad. I don't think he could work at that prison again, but it would also be wrong for him to be shuffled from prison to prison every few years he lost his temper.

I'm not a judge. Just a guy with a comfy chair, a keyboard and a gut sensation. I think he got punished too hard. Should have been given at least another chance, not at the same prison, maybe not a third.

At any rate that's what I think.

Comment

Hmmm, violence against the helpless by those in charge is something sensitive to.
                    Well, I have no sympathy for the "helpless" in this case -- he was a serial domestic violence actor, and had two priors for armed robbery. He was a local thug.

Mind you, I've already said it was wrong to strike him --- "my guy" should have walked away and filed a complaint.

Here though, I don't know. I really don't Cow Poke. I trust that the prisoner was awful and probably did his best to bring out that wallop. I believe in second chances for a lot of things, except the most extreme of things. If he had hit an inmate in anger because he was goaded, that would be bad. I don't think he could work at that prison again, but it would also be wrong for him to be shuffled from prison to prison every few years he lost his temper.

I'm not a judge. Just a guy with a comfy chair, a keyboard and a gut sensation. I think he got punished too hard. Should have been given at least another chance, not at the same prison, maybe not a third.

At any rate that's what I think.
                    "my guy" has a temper, no doubt --- I don't think he should ever have been in law enforcement in the first place, and told him so on several occasions prior to "the incident".

Comment

If they walk away and get to brag about it on Twitter afterwards (which George Zimmerman got to), then it doesn't seem to me that justice was served.
                      Zimmerman didn't do anything wrong. He shot a guy in self defense then most of the US black and progressive population tried to lynch him. I'd brag on twitter too if I was in his place.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Zimmerman didn't do anything wrong. He shot a guy in self defense then most of the US black and progressive population tried to lynch him. I'd brag on twitter too if I was in his place.
                        Welcome back Darth Ex, it's been a while. How's it going?

Comment

I agree that he did nothing wrong in defending himself, but he still took a human life and should not have gloated when he was justly exonerated. I think the most repulsive thing he did was put the gun used to shoot Martin up for auction, calling it "a piece of American history".
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I agree that he did nothing wrong in defending himself, but he still took a human life and should not have gloated when he was justly exonerated. I think the most repulsive thing he did was put the gun used to shoot Martin up for auction, calling it "a piece of American history".
                            He was (and probably still is) millions of dollars in debt due to a frivolous prosecution, the courts blocked him from suing the media which actively and shamelessly defamed him to boot. He can dig up Trayvon's corpse, wrap it in toilet paper and put it up for auction as King Tut for all I care.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

He was (and probably still is) millions of dollars in debt due to a frivolous prosecution, the courts blocked him from suing the media which actively and shamelessly defamed him to boot. He can dig up Trayvon's corpse, wrap it in toilet paper and put it up for auction as King Tut for all I care.
                              I disagree. You don't respond to injustice by doing something crass in return.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                MM, you CAD! You NEVER criticize anybody for....

um

nevermind.

Comment